How does this affect this draft: list of final contract year players.

Tchok13

Reaction score
Richard Seymour 2009
Jarvis Green 2009
Kevin Faulk 2009
Stephen Neal 2009
Shawn Springs 2009
Vince Wilfork 2009
Ellis Hobbs, III 2009
Tedy Bruschi 2009
Nick Kaczur 2009
Leigh Bodden 2009
Logan Mankins 2009
Pierre Woods 2009
Ben Watson 2009
Gostkowski 2009
Joey Galloway 2009
Al Johnson 2009
Sam Aiken 2009
David Thomas 2009
Eric Alexander 2009
Le Kevin Smith 2009
Wesley Britt 2009
Tully Banta-Cain 2009
Russ Hochstein 2009
Chris Hanson 2009
Nathan Hodel 2009
Billy Yates 2009
Tank Williams 2009
Dan Connolly 2009
Mark Levoir 2009
Matt Gutierrez 2009
Damane Duckett 2009
Ventrone 2009
Antwain Spann 2009
Gary Guyton 2009
BenJarvus 2009
Mike Richardson 2009
Tyson Devree 2009
Vince Redd 2009
Titus Adams 2009
So first thing that hit me was that is a HUGE list of people playing for a contract.
And secondly that is a whole lot of uncertainty going forward.

SO draft gurus, does this mean we are going to be pushing a whole bunch of drafts picks into next year?

Contracts and the salary cap are not really my thing, but I have to say I was somewhat taken aback by that list.

I knew Sey and Vince were up, but I didn't know about a LOT of those guys and it gives me the willies to be honest.

If I had to guess, it would be we might be drafting more linemen on both sides than people might otherwise be speculating.

Imagine losing Seymour, Wilfork and Jarvis on D in one year. Disaster.

Same thing with Mankins and Neal. I can't see how we could allow that to happen.

Those are worst-case scenarios, but Jeeeeesus. Scary.

So first thing that hit me was that is a HUGE list of people playing for a contract.
And secondly that is a whole lot of uncertainty going forward.

SO draft gurus, does this mean we are going to be pushing a whole bunch of drafts picks into next year?
A whole bunch, not so much. One has been pushed forward already and I'd expect at least one more.

How does this affect the draft? Hard to say, in an uncapped year about half of those guys are RFAs, so it's not as bad as it looks. In an uncapped year, teams who make the playoffs and are in the championship games will not be allowed to sign a UFA unless they lose a UFA, and even then the money they can spend on these players is very limited. I suspect the Pats have so many players with contracts ending in 2010 so they can create opportunities for UFA signings.

That is a scary list!

Was in planned this way in lieu of the uncapped year?

I wonder how this list compares to other teams situations and if they've seemed to follow a similiar path in preparation for '10.

The loss of the big name guys will be limited with the available franchise/transition. But the lesser, younger guys who are not restricted will be tough losses should they decide to go.

This isn't all that unusual, because players want to get into the later, higher salaries of their contract, but tend to re-sign in that last year.

This year will be a little different because players might want to test the waters in an uncapped year, though.

Holy Crap. 39 players that contracts expire at the end of this year....

I think that by the end of this next season, that list will be down to about 10-15. We will restructure contracts during the season or after the draft when we sign the new rookies.

How does this affect the draft? Hard to say, in an uncapped year about half of those guys are RFAs, so it's not as bad as it looks. In an uncapped year, teams who make the playoffs and are in the championship games will not be allowed to sign a UFA unless they lose a UFA, and even then the money they can spend on these players is very limited. I suspect the Pats have so many players with contracts ending in 2010 so they can create opportunities for UFA signings.

Awesome insight.

That is a scary list!

Was in planned this way in lieu of the uncapped year?

I wonder how this list compares to other teams situations and if they've seemed to follow a similiar path in preparation for '10.

The loss of the big name guys will be limited with the available franchise/transition. But the lesser, younger guys who are not restricted will be tough losses should they decide to go.
Transition tags are scary things, like an RFA tender, all it does is give the home team the right to match the offer. Minnesota put the stamp of the Debil on these when they wrote the first poison pill contract to force Seattle to yield their All-Pro Guard. NE used the poison pill in the velvet glove approach when they offered to trade an RFA tender equivalent 2nd round pick and a sweetener 7th rounder with Miami for Wes Welker - underneath it all was a reported contract offer with a pill to pressure Miami. As far as I'm concerned, a Transition tag is dangerous used on a popular player whom you wish to keep - if someone gets Transitioned, I'd suspect the team was ambiguous about him and was looking to get more compensation for his departure than a Comp pick in the next year's draft.

Holy Crap. 39 players that contracts expire at the end of this year....

I think that by the end of this next season, that list will be down to about 10-15. We will restructure contracts during the season or after the draft when we sign the new rookies.
Patscap.com - an excellent resource - places the Pats under the adjusted salary cap by $4.3 million. Without being in the NE Front Office this is the single best source for tracking all the changes to NE's cap situation.

Without a significant restructure of some of the current long term contracts to free up cap space, NE only has enough cap room to pay for the rookie pool, Practice Squad, make some minor signings when teams reshuffle their rosters, and make some emergency signings. Veterans cut between now and Opening Day will help that cap number, but that's about the only help out there.

From a different board but...

New England Patriots Prepare for the NFL's Poison Pills in 2010

by Samer Ismail
March 27, 2009

By now, you've probably heard that the NFL is facing the possibility that there will be no salary cap for the 2010 season. You may also be aware of the fact that it places limitations on teams' ability to defer payments into the future, and also increase the time needed to achieve free agency from four years to six.

You may not know of the existence of the Final Eight Plan, a provision in the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement which may haunt several franchises next year.

The basic principle of the Final Eight Plan—which will go into effect if there is no salary cap—is to prevent a mass movement of free agent talent in 2010 to the top teams from 2009.

In a nutshell, it places restrictions on the eight teams that reach the Divisional round of the playoffs. In other words, the two teams with byes in each conference, and the four teams that win their Wild Card games will have a harder time pursuing free agents.

The main restrictions on the four teams that reach the Conference Championship round are:

They can resign their own players with no additional restrictions beyond those placed on any other team.
Beyond that, however, they can only sign one free agent for each one they lose, and the departing free agent's new contract sets a limit on the size of the new player's contract.
The teams can trade for players given franchise and/or restricted free agent tenders, but they cannot circumvent the above rule by trading for a player they couldn't sign as a free agent.
The four teams that lose in the divisional round are subject to the same rules, except that they are also allowed to assign free agents to relatively small contracts (and one free agent to a contract with a first-year salary of $5 million or more).

There's also one more loophole, which I'll get to a little later in this article.

So, what does this have to do with the New England Patriots? It's simple, really.

The Patriots, with quarterback Tom Brady returning, appear poised to make another run deep into the playoffs, which would mean they'd be subject to the Final Eight Plan—and they seem to have insulated themselves from its effects in three ways.

Using their 2009 draft picks

The Patriots have six draft picks in the first three rounds—No. 23 in round one; No. 34, 47, and 58 in round two; No. 89 and 97 in round three. It is the most of any team in the NFL. They also have five more picks in the remaining four rounds.

That said, the Patriots simply do not have that many holes in their roster. Sure, they could use another linebacker or two, and depth at other positions, but there is essentially no reason for the Patriots to use all 11 picks this year.

What will probably happen is that the Patriots will trade at least one of their eight tradable picks (the Patriots' three compensatory picks can't be traded), quite likely one of their three second-rounders, for a pick in 2010.

Since the Patriots have traded picks ahead almost every year during Belichick's tenure, there's no reason to assume this year will be any different.

Using the compensatory pick system

As noted, three of the Patriots' 11 draft picks this year are compensatory picks, awarded when a team loses more quality free agents than it signs.

One rule regarding this system, though, is that in order to count as a "quality" free agent, those free agents must reach free agency via an expired contract. Players who are waived by their previous team do not count against the teams signing them. More importantly, they also do not count as free agents in the Final Eight Plan.

In other words, any player who gets cut by his old team is fair game for everyone.

This is where the Patriots seem to have slipped under everyone's radar.

With the possible exception of former Cardinals center Al Johnson (whose contract may not be large enough to count under any circumstances), all of the Patriots' 2009 free agent signings—Fred Taylor, Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Chris Baker, Joey Galloway, and Nathan Hodel—were players released by their old teams.

Not one of them will count against the Patriots in determining compensatory picks, which means the Patriots could get as many as four picks on day two (for Jabar Gaffney, Heath Evans, Lonie Paxton, and LaMont Jordan).

It seems highly, highly unlikely that this is just by chance alone. Whether or not it's a "dry run" for 2010—when the only agents they'll likely be able to sign are those waived by their own teams—is impossible to say. What does seem fairly clear is that the Patriots are trying to accumulate compensatory picks for 2010.

Using contracts

As stated above, the Final Eight Plan allows the top four teams to sign a new free agent for each one they lose. That rule might explain why the Patriots were willing to sign Leigh Bodden to a one-year deal that prohibits them from using the franchise tag. Should his career take off, and the Patriots be unable to resign him, they will then be able to sign a new free agent to a contract with a similar cap hit.

The same holds true for any other free agents the Patriots might lose, such as defensive linemen Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork. If the Patriots aren't able to extend their contracts, they at least will have the ability to land a blue-chip free agent.

All in all, the Patriots are showing once again why they are one of the best-managed franchises in all of sportsNew England Patriots Prepare for the NFL's Poison Pills in 2010

by Samer Ismail
March 27, 2009

By now, you've probably heard that the NFL is facing the possibility that there will be no salary cap for the 2010 season. You may also be aware of the fact that it places limitations on teams' ability to defer payments into the future, and also increase the time needed to achieve free agency from four years to six.

You may not know of the existence of the Final Eight Plan, a provision in the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement which may haunt several franchises next year.

The basic principle of the Final Eight Plan—which will go into effect if there is no salary cap—is to prevent a mass movement of free agent talent in 2010 to the top teams from 2009.

In a nutshell, it places restrictions on the eight teams that reach the Divisional round of the playoffs. In other words, the two teams with byes in each conference, and the four teams that win their Wild Card games will have a harder time pursuing free agents.

The main restrictions on the four teams that reach the Conference Championship round are:

They can resign their own players with no additional restrictions beyond those placed on any other team.
Beyond that, however, they can only sign one free agent for each one they lose, and the departing free agent's new contract sets a limit on the size of the new player's contract.
The teams can trade for players given franchise and/or restricted free agent tenders, but they cannot circumvent the above rule by trading for a player they couldn't sign as a free agent.
The four teams that lose in the divisional round are subject to the same rules, except that they are also allowed to assign free agents to relatively small contracts (and one free agent to a contract with a first-year salary of $5 million or more).

There's also one more loophole, which I'll get to a little later in this article.

So, what does this have to do with the New England Patriots? It's simple, really.

The Patriots, with quarterback Tom Brady returning, appear poised to make another run deep into the playoffs, which would mean they'd be subject to the Final Eight Plan—and they seem to have insulated themselves from its effects in three ways.

Using their 2009 draft picks

The Patriots have six draft picks in the first three rounds—No. 23 in round one; No. 34, 47, and 58 in round two; No. 89 and 97 in round three. It is the most of any team in the NFL. They also have five more picks in the remaining four rounds.

That said, the Patriots simply do not have that many holes in their roster. Sure, they could use another linebacker or two, and depth at other positions, but there is essentially no reason for the Patriots to use all 11 picks this year.

What will probably happen is that the Patriots will trade at least one of their eight tradable picks (the Patriots' three compensatory picks can't be traded), quite likely one of their three second-rounders, for a pick in 2010.

Since the Patriots have traded picks ahead almost every year during Belichick's tenure, there's no reason to assume this year will be any different.

Using the compensatory pick system

As noted, three of the Patriots' 11 draft picks this year are compensatory picks, awarded when a team loses more quality free agents than it signs.

One rule regarding this system, though, is that in order to count as a "quality" free agent, those free agents must reach free agency via an expired contract. Players who are waived by their previous team do not count against the teams signing them. More importantly, they also do not count as free agents in the Final Eight Plan.

In other words, any player who gets cut by his old team is fair game for everyone.

This is where the Patriots seem to have slipped under everyone's radar.

With the possible exception of former Cardinals center Al Johnson (whose contract may not be large enough to count under any circumstances), all of the Patriots' 2009 free agent signings—Fred Taylor, Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Chris Baker, Joey Galloway, and Nathan Hodel—were players released by their old teams.

Not one of them will count against the Patriots in determining compensatory picks, which means the Patriots could get as many as four picks on day two (for Jabar Gaffney, Heath Evans, Lonie Paxton, and LaMont Jordan).

It seems highly, highly unlikely that this is just by chance alone. Whether or not it's a "dry run" for 2010—when the only agents they'll likely be able to sign are those waived by their own teams—is impossible to say. What does seem fairly clear is that the Patriots are trying to accumulate compensatory picks for 2010.

Using contracts

As stated above, the Final Eight Plan allows the top four teams to sign a new free agent for each one they lose. That rule might explain why the Patriots were willing to sign Leigh Bodden to a one-year deal that prohibits them from using the franchise tag. Should his career take off, and the Patriots be unable to resign him, they will then be able to sign a new free agent to a contract with a similar cap hit.

The same holds true for any other free agents the Patriots might lose, such as defensive linemen Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork. If the Patriots aren't able to extend their contracts, they at least will have the ability to land a blue-chip free agent.

All in all, the Patriots are showing once again why they are one of the best-managed franchises in all of sports

Hmm neither have the Panthers (for obvious reasons, or at least 16.7Million reasons)

I'm going to do a little research on the free agent status of other teams.

Back