Ineligible Downfield Penatly

PatrietteAz

Trouble Needs a Home
Reaction score
Someone please explain WHY there is this rule and exactly what it is if you could? Not sure why linemen have to be eligible to go downfield. TIA.:)

Someone please explain WHY there is this rule and exactly what it is if you could? Not sure why linemen have to be eligible to go downfield. TIA.:)

As the game evolved, it was decided that only five players of the eleven would be eligible to release downfield to catch a forward pass. The five players are the two ends on the line of scrimmage and three players aligned off the LOS. The reason for this is that it is believed the the defense should be allowed to know who is eligible and who is not.

The rule states that no ineligible player shall release downfield on a forward pass prior to the pass being thrown. In college and the pros, ineligible players can release downfield on throws behind the LOS (screen passes). In college and high school, they can block downfield before the screen is thrown. In the NFL, they can't.

The NCAA does not allow anyone with a lineman number to be eligible regardless of formation because they feel it gives the offense an unfair advantage. In the NFL, linemen who plan to align in an eligible spot must report as eligible so the defense can be alerted via an announcement.

Most states play high school ball under what's known as Federation rules (only Mass & Texas play under NCAA rules). There was an offense a few years ago gaining in popularity called the A-11 offense (All Eleven Eligible) because Federation rules did not restrict eligible numbers as the NCAA does. The offense would spread out. Tagged players would step back or up just before the snap preventing the defense from knowing who would be eligible. It was pretty successful for a little while before Federation rules were amended to outlaw the practice. The powers that be feel that it was competitively unfair to allow offenses to disguise their eligible players from the defense in this manner.

Hopefully this answers your question!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BxZpyMn8lgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't a clue, but it seems to me that an offense that can pass to every offensively lineman would be impossible to stop. Defenses have enough trouble as it is covering 3-5 receivers let alone if you add another couple guys who can sneak out as a last resort. :shrug:

As the game evolved, it was decided that only five players of the eleven would be eligible to release downfield to catch a forward pass. The five players are the two ends on the line of scrimmage and three players aligned off the LOS. The reason for this is that it is believed the the defense should be allowed to know who is eligible and who is not.

The rule states that no ineligible player shall release downfield on a forward pass prior to the pass being thrown. In college and the pros, ineligible players can release downfield on throws behind the LOS (screen passes). In college and high school, they can block downfield before the screen is thrown. In the NFL, they can't.

The NCAA does not allow anyone with a lineman number to be eligible regardless of formation because they feel it gives the offense an unfair advantage. In the NFL, linemen who plan to align in an eligible spot must report as eligible so the defense can be alerted via an announcement.

Most states play high school ball under what's known as Federation rules (only Mass & Texas play under NCAA rules). There was an offense a few years ago gaining in popularity called the A-11 offense (All Eleven Eligible) because Federation rules did not restrict eligible numbers as the NCAA does. The offense would spread out. Tagged players would step back or up just before the snap preventing the defense from knowing who would be eligible. It was pretty successful for a little while before Federation rules were amended to outlaw the practice. The powers that be feel that it was competitively unfair to allow offenses to disguise their eligible players from the defense in this manner.

Hopefully this answers your question!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BxZpyMn8lgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perfectly, AWTE thanks SO much! I suspected it was something like this but didn't know if it was a decision by rules committees over time or something else.

So knowing this there may be some interesting formations with Solder tomorrow as he reports eligible at times and not at others?

Always more to learn..love this GAME!!:thumb:

Perfectly, AWTE thanks SO much! I suspected it was something like this but didn't know if it was a decision by rules committees over time or something else.

So knowing this there may be some interesting formations with Solder tomorrow as he reports eligible at times and not at others?

Always more to learn..love this GAME!!:thumb:

It's unlikely Solder will report as eligible because he'll be playing RT, whereas in the game last week we had a RT and Solder reported in as eligible in a TE position.

Just perfectly. We are so lucky to have ya AWTE!! Are you by any chance going to the Jets game? Would love to buy you a beer sometime. Cheers!

Not sure about the Jets game. As of right now I won't be but you never know! I'd love to share a few beers. I was lucky enough to hang with some of the Planet peeps before the Chargers game and would like too again.

Not sure about the Jets game. As of right now I won't be but you never know! I'd love to share a few beers. I was lucky enough to hang with some of the Planet peeps before the Chargers game and would like too again.

Truth. It was awesome meeting AWTE. Although, he caught me mid (two) pie(s).

Back