Is Barmore the next Aaron Donald?

Roberto71

Reaction score
Here's a nice hype thread for y'all. Could he even be better than Donald? He's a good bit bigger than Donald for starters.

BB explained why Barmore is so good this season: the conditioning he put in during the Spring.

Pats coach Bill Belichick spoke to Barmore’s impact on the win post-game, noting he laid a strong foundation back in the spring.

“It was by far (Barmore)’s best offseason, and he’s continued to train really hard, which has, I think, kept him a little healthier,” Belichick said. “He’s played a lot of football, but he’s been able to maintain that health and that conditioning. And I think that offseason training on his lower body has really helped him; both conditioning and and just with his explosive power. And the experience has helped him. He did a good job tonight.”

Barmore said he’s kept his focus simple and straightforward this season.

“I come here to help my team,” he began, “make my teammates proud, make my coaches proud.”

The 24-year-old is a rare interior rusher who leads his team in sacks. Barmore can and has played across the defensive line for the Patriots, who suffered a major blow defensively when Pro Bowl outside linebacker Matt Judon suffered a torn bicep in Week 4. Since then, Barmore has emerged as the Pats’ most effective down-to-down pass rusher and one of their best overall players.

Part of his rise also stems from improved run defense. Barmore’s 11 tackles for loss lead the defense, and he ranks among the team leaders in run stuffs. He recorded two last week in a loss to Kansas City, including one at the expense of Pro Bowl center Creed Humphrey.

The combination of good health and an improved all-around game has allowed Barmore to play more than 63% of the team’s defensive snaps this season, most among defensive linemen. That figure also rivals percentages for veterans like cornerback Jonathan Jones, and might be even higher, if Barmore had his way.

“I’m always hype,” he told reporters post-game. “I love football. I love my team. I love these coaches.”

Next year, Barmore will be eligible for a contract extension entering the final year of his rookie deal. He projects to be a high priority for the Patriots front office, which could undergo a major shakeup pending the end of this season. Regardless of who’s in charge, the Pats are expected to hold more than $80 million in cap space, third-most in the league, and Barmore could be in store for a major pay day if his performance holds up.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, be he almost screwed the team's draft pick standing by himself.

Back