Is rap music?

Is rap music?

• yes

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • noo

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters
BizarroAnnihilus on 01-31-2008 at 10:01 AM said:
Annihilus disagrees....maybe it has something to do with the definition of 'musical'.

Depending on the artist, some rappers are very musical lyrically (regardless of whether or not they use samples). There are other artists that use entirely their own compositions and even play their own instruments. Many don't, but you can't pigeon hole an entire genre because of this. There are a lot of people that thought that synthesizers weren't 'real music' when they first became popular in the 80's. Older folks thought Elvis and the Beatles were anything but music when they burst onto the scene. They thought they were a bunch of noise. Annihilus's mom thought the Beatles were a great band until they became hippies, then it wasn't music any more.

Remember 'Rapture' from Blondie? The whole song wasn't rap, but the part that everyone remembers was, and it was musical despite the fact that she wasn't singing nor were any instruments playing.

You can say 'vast majority' to a lot of things, but it's tough to do with something as diverse as hip-hop or rap (or any musical genre). Sure, a lot of it may be junk, but a lot of stuff on the radio today is junk too.

It's a question that is impossible to answer yes or no to and your answer will largely depend on your musical background (or taste).

Yes, I am guilty of generalizing too much. And I admit I have not been exposed to a lot of what may be "better" rap. I agree that a lot of stuff on the radio today is junk too.

I can only go by what I have listened to, and what my opinion of the musical talent involved in making it, but you are right, since I don't really care for the genre, perhaps I do not go out of my way to judge it more fairly.

Undertaker #59* on 01-31-2008 at 10:16 AM said:
Yes, I am guilty of generalizing too much. And I admit I have not been exposed to a lot of what may be "better" rap. I agree that a lot of stuff on the radio today is junk too.

I can only go by what I have listened to, and what my opinion of the musical talent involved in making it, but you are right, since I don't really care for the genre, perhaps I do not go out of my way to judge it more fairly.

Unfortunately, this is the same for most middle-aged, caucasian folks. None of them know enough to give fair analysis of it. They know the crap they hear on the radio or see on BET and think its the whole genre. For what its worth, I give you kudos for being able to admit to such a thing. Now if we could just get Bill O. to do the same.:D

Of course it is music. People used to ask the same question about Rock 'n' Roll.

The more interesting question is: "what is music?" which is actually a very profound question, one that is so fundamental that it is rarely studied, or even asked.

Just out of curiosity I just looked at the wikipedia article on music and I don't think it even addresses the question "what is it?"

edit: there is a sub-article on wikipedia that does begin to address the issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_music

further edit: actually that article gets bogged down in the definition of music. the really interesting question about music is: whatever it is, why do people like it?

I do consider it music.
i can see how people like.
personaly i do not like it
Kanye West is an absoluete turd, all his good songs, i.e touch the sky or stronger.
just totally stolen, with his words over the stop

Back