Is rap music?

Is rap music?

• yes

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • noo

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters
i hav been hav an arguemnet of which metal or rap is better with a couple of friend for about 2 weeks

According to Fox News, rap is the source of almost all of societies problems today. Its almost comical how much guys like Bill O'Reilly love to rip into various musicians.

Of course its music, there's a beat to follow in most songs and there usually are verses and refrains.

come on.
if any1 wants to argue about y metal is better than rap, i hav so much lined up from that last week

OF course it is. This man in particular has made my world a more enjoyable and relaxing place-

p1_flava.jpg

;)

Metal rap!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NoLkaGcpJFA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NoLkaGcpJFA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

CAN'T SAY WATS ON MY MIND
CAN'T DO WAT I REALLY FEEL
IN THIS BED I MADE FOR ME
IS WHERE I SLEEP, I REALLY FEEL
I WARN U OF UR FATE
PROVEN TRUE, TO LATE
YOUR TOUNGE TWIST PERVERSE
COM DRINK NOW OF THIS CURSE
AND NOW I FILL UR BRAIN
I SPIN U ROUND AGAIN
MY POSION FILLS UR HEAD
AS I TUCK U INTO UR BED
YOU FEEL MY FINGERTIPS
U WON'T FORGET MY LIPS
U'L FEEL MY COLD BREATH
ITS THE KISS OF DEATH

seriously, listen to tornado of souls .great song

When someone samples other groups or peoples music and put lyrics with them, I don't consider that music, I consider it ripping off someone else's hard work.
So, IMO, rap is not music, and I have a hard time considering any rappers artists.

WelkerFan83 on 01-31-2008 at 07:23 AM said:
When someone samples other groups or peoples music and put lyrics with them, I don't consider that music, I consider it ripping off someone else's hard work.
So, IMO, rap is not music, and I have a hard time considering any rappers artists.
Question...

Is this music?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V-Po8uJeoUw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V-Po8uJeoUw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

When hip-hop starting coming around in the early eighties, I thought it was kind of interesting, had beat and rhythm. The last ten years I think it's nothing new, nothing mind-blowing, nothing original.

I also think that music is made from instruments, which most rap is not. Can I compare what's out there today with the likes of "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Layla"? This music is incomparable, in my mind, with talented musicians, originality, and true musicianship. Rap has become nothing more than a cliche and so are the artists that make it.

Rap is music, sampled music from real musicians

Honestly like HH said some is good, some is bad and other is just noise trying to shock the world with lyrics that a sailor wouldn't use

I never liked rap and think all of it is crap and there is certainly nothing very musical about it.

Undertaker #59* on 01-31-2008 at 07:53 AM said:
I never liked rap and think all of it is crap and there is certainly nothing very musical about it.

That's a pretty common opinion amongst middle-aged white dudes (and yes, some middle-aged black dudes too), but that opinion can be shared across many genres.

For example, a lot of people feel the same about Frank Zappa (you can see where this is going). Music is in the ear of the beholder.

Annihilus doesn't care for a lot of rap, but there are artists out there that are certainly creative lyrically AND musically.

Musical tastes change over the generations and the funniest thing about that is that when folks our age are in retirement homes we'll be rockin' to AC/DC or Run DMC instead of Muzak. Kids taking care of us will think we're boring as hell be listening to that wack stuff.

BizarroAnnihilus on 01-31-2008 at 09:10 AM said:
That's a pretty common opinion amongst middle-aged white dudes (and yes, some middle-aged black dudes too), but that opinion can be shared across many genres.

For example, a lot of people feel the same about Frank Zappa (you can see where this is going). Music is in the ear of the beholder.

Oh, I don't deny that some of it may be creative or that it may take some talent to produce some rap, but that does not mean that the vast majority of it is very musical.

Not liking something and denying it takes talent to make are two very different things. A lot of people don't like Opera either, but to deny the musical talent IN opera would be ignorant. For example, I don't like the band Rush very much. Their songs never did very much for me, but I don't deny that the members of Rush are talented musicians.

It may take some talent to make some rap songs, word choice, rhythm, etc...but I don't think that automatically makes it talented music.

Undertaker #59* on 01-31-2008 at 08:41 AM said:
Oh, I don't deny that some of it may be creative or that it may take some talent to produce some rap, but that does not mean that the vast majority of it is very musical.

Annihilus disagrees....maybe it has something to do with the definition of 'musical'.

Depending on the artist, some rappers are very musical lyrically (regardless of whether or not they use samples). There are other artists that use entirely their own compositions and even play their own instruments. Many don't, but you can't pigeon hole an entire genre because of this. There are a lot of people that thought that synthesizers weren't 'real music' when they first became popular in the 80's. Older folks thought Elvis and the Beatles were anything but music when they burst onto the scene. They thought they were a bunch of noise. Annihilus's mom thought the Beatles were a great band until they became hippies, then it wasn't music any more.

Remember 'Rapture' from Blondie? The whole song wasn't rap, but the part that everyone remembers was, and it was musical despite the fact that she wasn't singing nor were any instruments playing.

You can say 'vast majority' to a lot of things, but it's tough to do with something as diverse as hip-hop or rap (or any musical genre). Sure, a lot of it may be junk, but a lot of stuff on the radio today is junk too.

It's a question that is impossible to answer yes or no to and your answer will largely depend on your musical background (or taste).

3 Point Stan* on 01-30-2008 at 11:03 PM said:
Because most people are force-fed crappy mainstream hip-hop, they are unfortunately under the impression that it is all this genre has to offer.

It absolutely is music. I don't care for country but I respect it to be music. Perhaps rephrasing of the original question might be in order?

At any rate, I urge anyone on the fence with hip hop to explore the stuff you WON'T hear on 94.5 such as:

The Roots
A Tribe Called Quest
KRS-One
Nas (his 90's stuff)
Talib Kweli
Keith Murray

Truer words haven't been spoken in a long time. Thank you for posting this.

WelkerFan83 on 01-31-2008 at 07:23 AM said:

So every hip hop song is a sample?

BizarroAnnihilus on 01-31-2008 at 09:10 AM said:

Annihilus doesn't care for a lot of rap, but there are artists out there that are certainly creative lyrically AND musically.

Musical tastes change over the generations and the funniest thing about that is that when folks our age are in retirement homes we'll be rockin' to AC/DC or Run DMC instead of Muzak. Kids taking care of us will think we're boring as hell be listening to that wack stuff.

I agree.

Back