Judge says Redskins should change their name

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Washington Red-Peters?

I don't get why this is a problem. When teams call themselves the Spartans, I'm pretty sure it's not for any great contribution they made to civilization, it's because they were great, ferocious warriors. Kind of like why teams would give themselves a Native American based nickname.
I mean really, who gives themselves a nickname they intend to be derogatory? Seems to me a team's name is more often a source of pride, intended to represent something formidable.

I would be honored if some team wanted to call themselves the Hiotes. :shrug:

I don't get why this is a problem. When teams call themselves the Spartans, I'm pretty sure it's not for any great contribution they made to civilization, it's because they were great, ferocious warriors. Kind of like why teams would give themselves a Native American based nickname.
I mean really, who gives themselves a nickname they intend to be derogatory? Seems to me a team's name is more often a source of pride, intended to represent something formidable.

I would be honored if some team wanted to call themselves the Hiotes. :shrug:

Uhh... Its because of the name "Redskins" Do you see an NFL team being called "The China Town Yellow-Skins or "The Brooklyn Blacks?" or "The Washington Whities/Crackers" OF COURSE NOT.

Its an offensive name to a lot of Native Americans, and others. I happen to agree, to some degree. If they changed it to the Washington Braves or Washington Warriors or Washington Seminoles (or whatever tribe you'd like) a LOT less people would have a problem with it, myself included.

Uhh... Its because of the name "Redskins" Do you see an NFL team being called "The China Town Yellow-Skins or "The Brooklyn Blacks?" or "The Washington Whities/Crackers" OF COURSE NOT.

Its an offensive name to a lot of Native Americans, and others. I happen to agree, to some degree. If they changed it to the Washington Braves or Washington Warriors or Washington Seminoles (or whatever tribe you'd like) a LOT less people would have a problem with it, myself included.

Ok, you have a point there, although still, like I said, who gives themselves a nickname they intend to be derogatory? Clearly Washington isn't calling themselves the Redskins because they're racist against Native Americans.

Secondly, even if they did change the name to Braves, or Warriors, or the name of a tribe, people would still bitch about it. People bitch about all kinds of other teams with those exact same names. IIRC the Seminole Tribe has even said that they don't mind Florida State using their name, yet people still criticize the school for using it.

It all seems so stupid to me, because the teams are clearly intending these names in a positive way, as something to be proud of, not a negative one. :shrug:

Ok, you have a point there, although still, like I said, who gives themselves a nickname they intend to be derogatory? Clearly Washington isn't calling themselves the Redskins because they're racist against Native Americans.

Secondly, even if they did change the name to Braves, or Warriors, or the name of a tribe, people would still bitch about it. People bitch about all kinds of other teams with those exact same names. IIRC the Seminole Tribe has even said that they don't mind Florida State using their name, yet people still criticize the school for using it.

It all seems so stupid to me, because the teams are clearly intending these names in a positive way, as something to be proud of, not a negative one. :shrug:

I agree, some people WOULD still bitch about it.. But it'd be a lot less, IMO.

A team name shouldn't reference skin color. It just shouldn't.

I still think the best name for a sports team out there is, I think, Idaho State Vandals, named after the first major barbarian tribe that cut a swathe through the Roman Empire before finally settling in North Africa.

I still think the best name for a sports team out there is, I think, Idaho State Vandals, named after the first major barbarian tribe that cut a swathe through the Roman Empire before finally settling in North Africa.

Where is the North African Descendents of Vandals in America to demand that Idaho State change their name!

I agree, some people WOULD still bitch about it.. But it'd be a lot less, IMO.

A team name shouldn't reference skin color. It just shouldn't.
I agree People will complain and bitch about the stupidest stuff now a days.
The skins are just one of the many pro and college , high school that use native American nicknames.

I’m still waiting for a team to come clean with the name Masturbators :)
Something like the Pittsburg Masturbators :shrug:

And the funniest thing is in a few days Google spiders will pick up on the new pro football team that use to be the stealers but now are known as the Pittsburg Masturbators :thumb:popcorn

There is nothing "honoring" about the name 'Redskins'. It's not like the word 'Braves' or 'Chiefs'. It's an insult. It was created as an insult. Bottom line, case closed, no discussion. As has been stated, if this team was named the Darkies and their mascot was a black guy, or named the Yellowskins with a logo of a caricaturized Chinese guy, there would be no debate about it.

What does it say when there's a bigger cry to change names like the Blue Devils, Devil Rays, or River Rats, than there is to change a name that's blatantly insulting?

And another thing, while we're at it... get rid of this little @$^#er, okay, Cleveland?

logo2.jpg

they should keep the redskins, but take the indian off and put a red potato spud on it. see how easy that was? and minus all that red tape and or paper work. :)

So, how do you feel about them making the University of Illinois get rid of Chief Illiniwek as thier mascot?

http://www.chiefilliniwek.org/

The name Redskins should be replaced before anything else. Thats my opinion.

I don't know how many people found that mascot to be insulting, but I bet it was a lot less then the number of Native Americans (and others) who are offended at the name "Redskins"

On a related note.. Anyone see the latest episode of "30 Days" on FX? Morgan Spurlock spent 30 days living on a Navajo indian reservation. Pretty good look into what that group struggles through every day, yet a lot are still a proud people and try to stay true to their customs and beliefs. Pretty interesting (and in some cases, sad) stuff.

yup... More evidence that Phil Gramm was right...

Why don't they remove the native american logo and change their name to the "Skins". That's what most people call them anyway and it is in line with what many college and high school's are doing with their nicknames? "Redskins" may be a classic team name but it's insulting to so many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back