Jury Duty

It's real easy getting locales changed.

For some reason my initial one comes up Brockton every summons. I send it back requesting venue change. Sure enough a second notice to Plymouth almost every time.

Last time at Plymouth the case turned out to be 3rd offense sex with a minor. I was ready to kill the guy from my seat. Go thru the whole background bs and then the ask the jurors successive questions that you have conflicts with and you sit there like an ass with your hand in the air while they bring jurors up one at a time to address.

When I get up there they say "So you have a problem with this case?" The judge, DA, and defense attorney with the baliff or court officer next to me.
I say " Yes your honor. I think this man should have been executed after the first offense and here we are shockingly on case number 3."

The defense attorney gasped liked I kicked her in the hoo hah. The DA was emotionless. The judge said "That's not really for you to decide." I said "I'm just laying it out there your honor. My thoughts on people with this history. This is still America and people have a voice."

The defense attorney looked at me like I had poo on my shoe and said "We're done with him."

The court officer walked me out and said this court was Sex Crime HQ now. Tons of cases rolling thru there like that one. Said he respected hearing me speak my mind like that.

No long stint with some liberal minded lets rehabilitate the world asshats for the Schrute. I would donate time to help frame gallows on the town green though.

Though you could have helped put the guy away for longer as a hardline juror. My trial didn't tell us any specifics of the case during jury selection, probably because it was a minor civil suit.

It was kind of bizarre, though. The woman whose car was stolen had an unbelievably bad lawyer, who must have hooked up with her through their both being Vietnamese. He had a heavy accent, but unlike her, spoke English. The insurance company was probably full of $hit, but their experts were at least articulate in presenting their scenario that the steering column of the recovered car was hacked up, but that it's security system had never been defeated in a way that someone without a key couldn't have driven it.

The lawyer against them was saying crazy things like, "Who stole the car? Was it you, was it me, was it the man in the tree?" Then, he started comparing the evil insurance company to Nazis and asking if we were going to stand up to evil this time, and who had stood up to the Nazis when they marched people to the ovens. The whole thing with the Vietnamese accent (and there was a Vietnamese interpreter talking really loudly in Vietnamese) was so nutty that I was biting my cheeks as hard as I could so I wouldn't break out laughing. The judge, an old Boston Irish guy, eventually called the lawyer over and was yelling at him that he had to talk about things relating to the case and not about Nazis. After closing arguments, part of the judge's instructions to us was that we shouldn't base our decision simply on the fact that someone had a bad lawyer.

I Googled the issue when I got home (which we weren't supposed to do) and saw that other people were complaining that Commerce Insurance Company was refusing to pay them when their cars got stolen, using the exact same tactics, so I based my vote on that.

I was called to serve Federal District court in Virginia over the past two weeks. Probably good timing for me as I was not called in to have to actually serve ( I'm assuming the holiday likely helped). But I have never been called to serve as a juror for county court. However, they could still tap me for another two weeks before the end of the year as the initial notice stated that I was in the pool for the entire year of 2016. At least that's my assumption.

Been called 6 times in the last 15 years.

Served once. Felony possession charge. It was a slam dunk.

I went through the voir dire process (8 hours) for a case in CT that was pretty notorious. Frankie Estrada was a huge heroin dealer in Bridgeport and would kill anyone who got in his way. He was known as "The Terminator." There had to be 35 people that were called. 5:30 in the afternoon, they have 12 jurors and one alternate. They were looking for one more alternate. There were two of us left. Prosecutor was talking to his second chair and pointing at me. I figured I was alternate #2. He gives a note to the judge. Judge says, "Mr. Twohill (gulp) you are excused."

I did not want to serve on that jury. The thought of putting this man away scared the hell out of me.

He ended up getting convicted.

I have managed to get called for county court every 3 yrs like clockwork. When I would call the phone number, I would not have to report.
Once I did get called a year later and wrote that I'd been called the previous year, so got a notice that this took care of it - for another 3yrs.

I did end up having to go to Newburyport one time - a brand new court, great parking, a/c - I don't remember if it was district or superior. I believe it was some sort of civil case which ended up finally getting settled right before we were going to be brought in. Judge spoke to us and one of the things that he said was that there were many attempts to settle.

Last time I had to go to Salem - the new court. Lots of us there - most of the day, except for some 'process' (my word for whatever has to get done) things, we mostly sat around and waited - luckily Paul showed me how to use his Nook and I was able to read a book. Finally after lunch they began to call us in groups, and then we each got called for questions by the judge. If I recall, it was an alleged child abuse case. I was surprised at the questions not asked. I was asked if there was a reason that it would be a hardship to serve if I were to be picked - I said that I believed there was and told my reason. I got excused - I think that my reason was why.

And now, 4 yrs later I have been called again - yes, was surprised that did not get called last yr.

Gina

If the summons isn't sent certified, how they can they ever prove that you even got it?

If the summons isn't sent certified, how they can they ever prove that you even got it?

Good question. It isn't certified, but I just moved to a different apartment in a different district and since the summons got forwarded from the address I just moved from, I called them to ask if this excused me, and gave them my juror ID# when they asked, so they know I got it.

In general, I'm not sure how they can fine you without sending the summonses by certified mail, which neither Mass. nor the federal court does.

I have been summoned 3 times in 15 years. The first time I actually got into the jury box on a child rape case but the defense attorney dismissed me. Whew! The latter two times I was only in the waiting room for the morning and was dismissed by noon. It's like <i>I</i> was the prisoner getting sprung! :)

My parents were called three times apiece and the same for my sister. Each served once and were dismissed the other times.

I know relatives and friends who have not been summoned once. Maybe if those of us who keep getting summoned don't register to vote, we'll be good! :clap:

I've always been registered to vote, always had an active driver's license, never been called. I feel left out. :(

Sent from my Enigma Device

I've always been registered to vote, always had an active driver's license, never been called. I feel left out. :(

Next time I get one you can go for me if you want. Might be a little bit of a hike...

was almost on a jury for one of two teens that beat and murdered a 24 year old group home worker. They both where convicted and sentenced to 25 to life

I am in Michigan and been called 5 times in 25 years here. Not once has my number been called while there.

Dumb luck.

My jury duty for this year got cancelled. Around the time that I was watching for the usual info that is sent, received a postcard stating that due to lack of need, jurors were cancelled for that date at that court.
Of course they kindly added the reminder that we could be called again next year.

Gina

I think they target people who are not registered to vote. I've done jury duty once, maybe twenty years ago and haven't been called since. My mother-in-law seems to get called every year or two, and it's always funny to send back the card saying that she cannot serve because she 1. doesn't speak english 2. is elderly and 3. is not a U.S. citizen.

Back