Just a rookie

patfanallan

Reaction score
Found this site from Browns board. Used to be a Browns fan until Tom Brady came along.

That is right. Even though I grew up in Foxboro I was rooting for the Browns. There wasn't a Patriot team in the 1950's.

While a Browns fan I used to write to Bill Belichick and believe it or not he wrote back. And when he came here as an assitant coach in 1995, he urged me to become a Pats fan. It didn't happen, even when the Pats ended up in the super bowl.

And when Bill took over as head coach I started rooting for him to do well. When Tom Brady stepped out on the field I was hooked. Finally I was able to root for the same team my kids and grandchildren were pulling for. It has been a lot of fun.

Now the Patriots are once again playing the Browns. Not much of a challenge if they go to a third string quarterback.

I will say that Belichick was always responsive to the fans, even when in Cleveland. Why else would he write to a fan in New England.

Hi Patfanallan,

Believe it or not, I used to be a (part time) Browns fan years ago, although it was because Milt Moran came from my hometown. He knew my father from high school.

Anyways, Welcome to the Planet.
:thumb:
________
starcraft replays

I remember a tight end Milt Morin in 1974. I believe he played for the University of Mass.

There are still Browns fans around. After all who could root for the Giants?

So, did you get to go to any Giants/Browns games in NY back in the day? Where did the Giants play in those days, the Polo Grounds?

Never went to the games. Did go to Cleveland to watch pre-season practices once. Purchased a large dish to watch the games. Also used to watch the games at the Fours Restaurant across from the old Boston Garden. Browns fans used to gather there.

Welcome Allen. Noting better than an old time fan Kicking it up.

OK, I can understand living in Foxboro and being a Giants fan back in the 1950's. But a Browns fan? What was the connection? How did you wind up rooting for the Browns.

Why did you write a that letter to Belichick? Was it a polite way of asking in to leave.
Oh and now that NHL Hockey is a thing of the past, My Boss says I should root for the Lowell Lockmonsters, But I think I like that team in Providence. Keep in mind I am a born and bred Bostonian So Collage sports are low on my scale of intrest.

Anyway, welcome abord.

It was because of being a Red Sox fan. I could not root for any team from New York. And the Browns were on local TV and radio. Ken Coleman used to do the Browns games. There were quite a few Browns fans. Plus they had good teams.

Through the years it was like rooting for the Red Sox as the Browns would get to the playoffs but never win a championship. They have never been to the super bowl. Came clost two years in a row but lost to Denver on the drive and the Byrner fumble.

I wrote to Belichick just before he released Kosar. I thought Testaverde should be the quarterback. He wrote back saying he never heard from a fan that cared that much about a football team.

I would write to him off and on and he would write back. When he came to the Patriots as an assistant coach I congratulated him and he urged me to become a Pats fan. He was pumped.

But I never did until Tom Brady stepped on to the field. I never liked Bledsoe and felt he was costing the Patriots games.

dchester said:
Hi Patfanallan,

Believe it or not, I used to be a (part time) Browns fan years ago, although it was because Milt Moran came from my hometown. He knew my father from high school.

Anyways, Welcome to the Planet.
:thumb:

If my memory serves me correctly (very questionable these days), Milt Morin attended my alma mater, St. Bernard's HS in Fitchburg. At least that's what my father told me.

Welcome to the Planet, Allan.

BTW, my father was a Packers fan before the Pats were created.

bideau said:
If my memory serves me correctly (very questionable these days), Milt Morin attended my alma mater, St. Bernard's HS in Fitchburg. At least that's what my father told me.

Welcome to the Planet, Allan.

BTW, my father was a Packers fan before the Pats were created.
He grew up in Leominster, actually walking distance from where my parents live now. He actually once said that my father probably was good enough to make it to the pros, but he never got the chance. (I think he was trying to be nice, although I think my father does still have a few records at Leominster High).
________
silversurfer vaporizer

Back