Linux

subroc

Interested Observer
Reaction score
Anyone use Linux?

Are you happy with it?

What version are you using? Debian, Ubuntu, what? Why did you choose that one?

What to watch out for?

I am thinking of cutting the microsoft cord.

Any info would be appreciated.

Anyone use Linux?

Are you happy with it?

What version are you using? Debian, Ubuntu, what? Why did you choose that one?

What to watch out for?

I am thinking of cutting the microsoft cord.

Any info would be appreciated.

We have several servers at work that use Linux. Debian and a couple CentOS. Is it good? Yeah for certain things, its very stable, but I would not recommend it for home use unless you know it very well. Its not very compatible with a lot of software that is used at home. If you want to use it at home. I would look into Red Hat, its a little more user friendly.

Linux as a desktop operating system is fine. The only trouble you'll run into is when some program/app you use quite a bit is not ported to Linux. If you primarily use your machine to browse, photo edit and using the office suite, you'll be fine.

I would recommend Ubuntu as a distro.

I been using Linux since 2004-2005 my husband has been using it longer. I love it and will never go back to Windows unless where I am at, that is not home, has Windows. We use Ubuntu.

There are some applications that don't cross over between itself and Windows. I have my computer partitioned to where Windows is there in case it is needed. However I have not found a reason to do so at this point.

One thing is with the downloads. You have to get the package and unzip and load it and it is not as straight forward as Window is but as you get use to Linux, if you chose to use it, it gets easier over time.

I love the fact that I have not had a virus on my computer since Linux became my go to software. That for me was a huge, "Oh hell yeah!" moment. The developers of the apps are always coming up with something that compliments what Window uses that you can use in Linux. There are endless forums dedicated to Linux and how to go about learning how to make the transition.

At first it took me a while to get use to the differences and learning how to place the right line in the terminal part of my computer but again have no intentions of going back to Windows.

I use Ubuntu Mate on nearly all my computers (basically everything except my macbook air). You wouldn't believe how many computers I own. We have standardized on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 at work. I find Windows 10 to be incredibly confusing (I still have a few Windows 10 machines but I don't really use them).

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

Back