Lions trade LB Kyle Van Noy to Patriots

I really liked Van Noy at BYU and just thought he appeared really smart and well-rounded. It appeared that he could do just about anything, he rushed, he covered, he had a couple of tremendous INT returns, good size, used his hands unusually well.

I didn't see anything not to like other than he wasn't the world's biggest hitter and I believe I had him as our top pick in that draft because he really struck me as a Patriot-type of player and he'd end up somewhere between good and very good before long.

I've seen very little of him since then and every time I've heard anything it was negative as in the guy is a complete and total bust.

I just figured he won't be the last guy that I thought would be a good pro that did nothing, but I'm going to hope that he is what I thought he was in the first place and then we let him get off the hook. Or something.

Nice trade for us. We get a player with tons of upside if used correctly and a pick i believe. I think KVN was drafted a round too early and probably should have left after his Junior year. Not a "bad" senior year by any means but teams def game planned for him.

For comparison I had him as a 3rd round pick that year.

Shaz 9.10 (1st), Mosley 8.90 (1st), Christian Jones 7.77 (2nd), Chris Borland 7.68 (2nd), Preston Brown 7.40 (3rd), KVN 7.30 (3rd), Christian Kirksey 7.25 (3rd), Prince Shembo 6.40 (5th), Carl Bradford 6.10 (5th), Shane Skov 5.55 (6th), Max Bullough 5.45 (6th), Trevor Reilly 5.35 (6th), Yawan Smallwood 5.10 (6th)

Eval from '14

Strengths
Smart player with great instincts. Fast off the ball. Always looking the QBS eyes in coverage. Can cover the wheel route for RBs. Again his awareness brings him back to the QB in coverage. Can rush, play run and pass. His closing speed is very real. Seen him use spin, swim and knife when rushing.

Weaknesses
Can get buried when running at him. Has trouble shedding in run game. Has to get better using his hands to disengage in both pass/run. Will always be light around 235-240 bc of lack of power and can get stronger. In coverage can free lance a bit in zone and miss his spots. Man isn't strong suit. Good not great speed. Doesn't have long/make up speed if beat.

I always saw KVN as a piece not full time guy. I like him playing closest to the ball as possible. Hes a guy you can move around a little bit, a possible match up guy. He needs NFL coaching in the worst way imo. Won't make an impact without it.

I wonder what happened in Detroit as he was seemingly invisible there. He didn't seem "that" far off imo but need coaching big time. I knew position wise he'd struggle if coaches tried locking him in somewhere. Anyway this comes from the same guy (s) that wanted Rowe, Mingo etc.

Awesome, Van Noy was one of my draft favs coming out. I envisioned him as a pass rush demon then. Haven't followed him since the draft but, I am optimistic about this addition.

I wanted him too. Hope he does well here.

I'm not nearly as excited about this as I was about getting Mingo.

Pats have a roster spot open.

The acquisition of Van Noy doesn’t come as a huge surprise. The Patriots gave up very little for Van Noy, and they’ve been searching for linebacker depth since Jonathan Freeny was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury.
In the past week, the Patriots have signed linebacker Trevor Reilly to their practice squad, worked out Rashard Cliett, Jasper Brinkley, Randell Johnson and Trevor Bates and now traded for Van Noy. Van Noy joins Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Elandon Roberts and Barkevious Mingo on the Patriots’ linebacker depth chart. The Patriots also have Shea McClellin and Rob Ninkovich, both of whom can play on the edge as pass rushers and at standup linebacker.
The acquisition of Van Noy suggests they would rather not be forced to play McClellin or Ninkovich at linebacker. It also puts less pressure on the team to play Roberts for extended snaps as a rookie. The Patriots haven’t shown much interest in playing Mingo in a traditional linebacker role, mostly using him on special teams, and this deal implies he might not be in line for more defensive snaps in the future. The Patriots essentially got Van Noy for free, and as a second-round pick, it’s worth seeing if he can be molded into a useful player. He’s started all seven games for the Lions this season and hasn’t fared well, but he also has special teams value.
At 6-foot-3, 243 pounds, he has the ideal measureables for a Patriots linebacker.
The trade of Derby raised some eyebrows, however. The Patriots ideally will run their base offense with a two-tight end set, and they just traded all of their depth to an AFC rival. So, what gives? Good question. The value — trading a former sixth-round pick with no NFL production for a fifth-rounder — simply must have been too good to pass up. The Patriots also must feel comfortable they can acquire another player similar to Derby in the near future. They play the Buffalo Bills this week then have their bye. The Patriots have fullback James Develin, who also can play some tight end, currently on their roster, and they have Glenn Gronkowski, who was used as a receiver in college, on their practice squad. They also worked out former Raiders fullback Marcel Reece before signing Gronkowski. Reece’s biggest strength is as a receiver.
Internet sleuths have tracked that Reece followed the Patriots and Bennett on Twitter since he worked out in New England. It’s unlikely the Patriots will go the rest of the season with just two tight ends, and they currently have an open spot on their 53-man roster. So you can expect more movement on the Patriots’ 53-man roster prior the trade deadline.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2016/10/what-aj-derby-trade-acquisition-of-kyle-van-noy-means-for-patriots/

‏@MikeReiss
Kyle Van Noy says he was "shocked" to go from starter to traded. Says he had a lot of contact w/ Pats pre-'14 draft.

Back