Looking at the Special Teams - 2011

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
This thread builds on the discussion from the 2010 special teams thread:

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=56495

Overview:

Special teams have always been a critical component of the Patriots' under BB. Few coaches seem to place as much emphasis on Special Teams play. In 2009 the Pats ST play was uncharacteristically erratic, with mediocre kickoff returns, poor punting, and some uncharacteristic big plays.

2010 showed tremendous improvement, despite some major injuries and upheaval. The Pats ST improved to 1st overall from 16th based on Rick Gosselin's rankings (which ranks every team from 1-32 in 22 different categories and then adds up the points):

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...aching-give-pats-no.-1-unit-cowboys-20th.ece
http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/patriots_special_teams_02-14-11_U1MGHAQ_v3.48728d6.html

This was achieved by consistency rather than by superlatives, as the Pats did not finish 1st in any of the 22 categories ranked by Gosselin. The fact that this result was achieved in spite of Pro Bowl kicker Stephen Gostkowski missing most of the season on injured reserve, and after 2009 ST captain Sam Aiken was cut in training camp, was even more impressive. Key factors included the steady performance of rookie punter Zoltan Mesko and the improved return game under Brandon Tate. But it was a consistent team effort by the entire ST squad. Indeed, one of the most notable plays of the entire NFL season was OL Dan Connolly rumbling 70+ yards on a kickoff return. The ST unit provided a number of highlights, and singlehandledly dominated the critical week 4 road win over Miami.

Positional Breakdown:

Kicking game:

Stephen Gostkowski should be back after missing most of 2010 on IR due to a quadriceps injury. Shayne Graham performed well in Gostkowski's absence (converting all 12 of 12 field goal attempts), but a clear difference was seen on kickoffs and ability to attempt long range field goals. Moving kickoffs up to the 35 yard line may negate some of the advantages of Gostkowski's strong leg, but being able to pin opposing teams at their 20 most of the time should quite welcome. Hopefully we won't have to see Wes Welker kicking extra points or handling kickoffs any time in 2011.

One of the stories of 2010 on special teams was the erratic of LS Jake Ingram, who had been solid in 2009. Matt Katula was signed after Ingram was cut and provided a steadying influence. He will likely be back. There are some alternatives at LS including OLB Rob Ninkovich and new TE Lee Smith, but all signs from previous years suggest that BB values the LSposition enough to devote a dedicated roster spot to it.

The Pats took rookie punter Zoltan Mesko with the #150 pick in the 5th round of the 2010 draft, and he instantly became a fan favorite and tremendous upgrade in the punting game. Although Mesko had a certain amount of inconsistency - which was largely expected from a rookie - he proved to be a significant upgrade over Chris Hansen and his strong leg on several occasions proved to be a godsend. His 43.2 yard average and 33% rate (19/58) of pinning opposing teams inside the 20 yard line were solid. I personally feel that Mesko's 65 yard punt against the Ravens in overtime turned that game around. Mesko also did not have a punt blocked in 2010, which also testifies to the effectiveness of Pat Chung, who assumed the upback role from Sam Aiken. Unless he suffers an Ingram-like sophomore slump, it's reasonable to assume that Mesko should improve on his rookie performance, especially in terms of overall consistency and ability to pin opponents inside the 20.

Return game:

Although Wes Welker made a miraculous recovery from his 2009 ACL injury and again made the Pro Bowl at WR, the Pats wisely chose not to risk Welker by using him as their man punt returner. That duty fell primarily to WR Julian Edelman, who managed a 15.5 YPR average on 27 returns, including a spectacular 94 yard return against Miami. That was actually a slight improvement on Welker's 12.5 YPR average in 2009.

Brandon Tate took over the majority of kickoff returns. He started off spectacularly with TD returns against Cincinnati (game 1) and Miami (game 4), but then seemed to taper off, but managed a respectable 25.8 YPR. There are a number of players who could potentially return kickoffs, including CBs Devin McCourty and Darius Butler, but they did not get an opportunity to do so in 2010.

Coverage units:

The Patriots were fairly strong in both punt and kickoff coverage, though they did have a few lapses. New addition Tracey White was a consistent force on coverage units, along with Kyle Arrington, Devin McCourty and Matt Slater (who rebounded from a poor 2009). Patrick Chung was a force at times, including 2 blocks against Miami week 4, though his ST contributions dropped off after his knee injury. Rookie UDFA Dane Fletcher also showed signs of becoming a force on coverage. Veteran Alge Crumpler provided some senior leadership on the unit, and while there was not a formal ST captain as in years past Crumpler did become a team captain.

Outlook for 2011:

The 2011 Pats STs should continue to be among the best in the NFL. The kicking game should be solid with Zoltan Mesko continuing to improve and the return of Stephan Gostkowski. The new 35 yard kickoff line should increase the number of touchbacks. The return game should continue to improve with Brandon Tate becoming one of the better kick returners in the NFL. Julian Edelman will likely continue to be the primary punt returner.

New faces who could make an impact on Special Teams include rookies Ras-I Dowling, Lee Smith, Markell Carter and , and possibly RBs Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley. Some veteran additions are always a possibility. Brandon McGowan could be brought back; he was solid in 2009. Sergio Brown and Jarrad Page will also likely see time on special teams. And the Pats stole Josh Barrett off of waivers from Denver. He has the ability to become a key player on special teams.m Matt Slater is going into a contract year, and again will be on the bubble. He performed better in 2010 than in 2009, but will still be in a dogfight to maintain a roster spot.

There is no reason to expect that the Pats won't field one of the deepest and best ST units in the NFL in 2011.

Great synopsis MC! I agree this should be a strong point for the Pats this season and for years to come. BB has used picks here and there on the kicking game and it has paid off. With all of the great competition expected for starting roles it should leave many strong athletic bodies for the special teams unit. As long as this team stays healthy it should be strong in all areas this season. I am getting giddy just thinking about it.

Great synopsis MC! I agree this should be a strong point for the Pats this season and for years to come. BB has used picks here and there on the kicking game and it has paid off. With all of the great competition expected for starting roles it should leave many strong athletic bodies for the special teams unit. As long as this team stays healthy it should be strong in all areas this season. I am getting giddy just thinking about it.

I'm pretty excited about some of the ST stories for 2011:

- S Josh Barrett was considered a ST demon in Denver. He'll be back healthy.
- CB Malcolm Williams was a surprise 7th round pick who played mainly on ST for TCU. I'm guessing he is something special on special teams.
- Rookie OLB Markell Carter could also be a significant ST contributor, and could obviate bringing back Tracy White, who was excellent in 2010.

Finally, I am personally looking forward to the day when Matt Slater finally gets bumped off the roster. He's in a contract year.

The new 35 yard kickoff line should increase the number of touchbacks.

If Ghost returns to fitness and continues where he left off, we might not see a KO return. My guess is the coverage unit spend 95% of their practice time on punts.

I'm pretty excited about some of the ST stories for 2011:

- S Josh Barrett was considered a ST demon in Denver. He'll be back healthy.
- CB Malcolm Williams was a surprise 7th round pick who played mainly on ST for TCU. I'm guessing he is something special on special teams.
- Rookie OLB Markell Carter could also be a significant ST contributor, and could obviate bringing back Tracy White, who was excellent in 2010.

Finally, I am personally looking forward to the day when Matt Slater finally gets bumped off the roster. He's in a contract year.

Somewhere Box just sharted...:coffee:

I'm really interested to see what this Barrett kid brings to the table.

For BB to pilfer the kid from his young decipal when moves like that were usually frowned upon tells me the kid must really have something to offer.

Fantastic synopsis of the ST units. Really.

One thing you could add (or I guess we could discuss) is:

Who will be our primary gunners on punt coverage? Does the drafting of Dowling and return of Bodden give Arrington the chance to devote more time to it? Who else, Wilhite? Slater? Did Williams perform this role in college? Did Barrett do this in Denver?

Also, I agree that there will be a dedicated LS - it's a philosophical thing with BB. I know they are different coaches, but I recall Parcells talking about it once, somewhat in depth. His point was that if you are using an every down or role player for LS duties, and he gets hurt, your kicking game (FG, XP, Punts) is pretty much toast. The loss of your LS is probably points off the board. He felt that most NFL coaches would not take that risk. (Said something along the lines of "in a key situation late in a game you don't want the ball bouncing around on the field...") He did not say (but implied) that other teams would know that they could decapitate your kicking game by taking these guys out. Again, this was Parcells, but you can figure BB and his background and respect for ST has a similar viewpoint. For this reason, I don't think Lee Smith (or Ninkovich) is really gonna be a candidate for the LS duties, as some have posited. JMO.

Again, nice write up.

Back