Match Ups Thread: Saints at Patriots

shirtsleeve

what's takin?
Reaction score
Paranoid Patriot and I used to do one of these every week back when. Since times and people have changed, I thought I would change this up and ask your thoughts on key match ups in the upcoming game. The games within the game, if you will. So without further ado, I ask you now your opinions of these matchups.

Pats O Line Vs Saints D Line?

Pats RB's/TE's Vs Saints LB's?

Brady/Receivers Vs Saints DB's?

Saints O Line Vs Pats D Line?

Saints RB's/TE's Vs Pats LB's?

Saints QB/Receivers Vs Pats DB's?

Coaching?

Tangibles? (ie TOP, Turnover ratios, Penalties, Red Zone efficiency)

Intangibles?

We're going to miss Kelly

Dan Roche ‏<s>@</s>RochieWBZ <small class="time"> 5m </small> Tommy Kelly, Leon Washington both "out" for <s>#</s>Patriots vs Saints Sunday - <s>#</s>wbz

Here’s the complete list:
Did Not Practice
DL Tommy Kelly (knee) OUT
RB Leon Washington (ankle) OUT
Limited Participation
WR Danny Amendola (groin) QUESTIONABLE
RB Brandon Bolden (knee) QUESTIONABLE
TE Rob Gronkowski (back/forearm) QUESTIONABLE
RB Stevan Ridley (knee) QUESTIONABLE
ST Matthew Slater (wrist) QUESTIONABLE
OL Ryan Wendell (concussion) QUESTIONABLE
DB Tavon Wilson (hamstring) QUESTIONABLE
Full Participation
WR Aaron Dobson (neck) PROBABLE
LB Dont’a Hightower (knee) QUESTIONABLE
LB Jerod Mayo (ankle) PROBABLE
DL Rob Ninkovich (groin) PROBABLE

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...ly-leon-washington-ruled-out-for-saints-game/

Referee for Saints-Patriots — Tony Corrente

edit: Corrente was fined for swearing with an open mic last year. ROFL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-tony-corrente-fined-for-swearing-on-open-mic

Saints D-Line id much improved, and Cam Jordan is a future All-Pro and beast at DE. Akeim Hicks is huge a load to deal with at 6-5 330 because he is so quick. Our rookie NT Jenkins is coming along and is also hard to move off the line at 6-4 345. The rotation is above average and Rob Ryan is getting pressure without blitzing.
Your O-line has always been a good one. This will be a good battle.

Without Gronk and Vereen this goes to the NO LB's in my opinion. If they were healthy I would reverse that.

Our DB's are maybe a bit above average, but Brady is a elite QB, but his WR's are not this year. If they can get Amendola going maybe this helps.

Our O-line is stout in the middle with the 2 probowl guards and very smart center. Our Tackles are average at best but Brees gets the ball out so fast they can be average.
Without Wilfork and Kelly this will be a hard assignment for your D-line.

Sproles is to hard for any LB top cover and Thomas is possibly the best sreen running back in the league with his great balance. We have not run the ball well at all, but with your depleted D-line maybe we get on some kind of roll. But then again we throw so much that its hard for our RB's to get in a groove.
Jimmy Graham will kill anyone trying cover him plain and simple. He has beat double and triple coverage this year. AT 6-7 270 how can anyone stop him aside from maybe stabbing him in the legs.

Tailb is a baller and physical CB, I was glad when he left Tampa. He is a top 10 talent. He will probably shadow Colston taking him out the game. Our other rookie WR's coming along in Stills and Toon, and Meachem is back to being our deep threat.

Coaching?
Payton is the master offensive playcaller and Bellichek is a master defensive coach.
This will be a great coaching matchup! Too close to call.

Tangibles? (ie TOP, Turnover ratios, Penalties, Red Zone efficiency) The Saints have been lucky in not giving up many turnovers and the defense looks alot like the 2009 D that led the league in creating them. But that luck could run out in Foxboro

Intangibles?
The game in at New England which is a very difficult place to ome out with a win. At least the weather will be nice.<!-- / message -->

Our #12 must play his best game of the year for the Pats to compete. We will have to score at least 25 points to say in the game with the Saints.

Our #12 must play his best game of the year for the Pats to compete. We will have to score at least 25 points to say in the game with the Saints.

Actually Brady needs to play well, thye oline needs to play well the receviers need to play well and the backs need to play well.

I honestly think our offense will play much much better,but We will have to stack the box to stop the run and Bree's will have all day to throw the ball...
Posted via Mobile Device

These are the games BB earns his money. It will be interesting to see the defensive game plan play out...
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually Brady needs to play well, thye oline needs to play well the receviers need to play well and the backs need to play well.

I think your defense keeps this game close. If your WR's can hold onto the ball, then you guys take this game.

These aren't the same Saints of the last six years. The offense is still quite good with some weapons. They average 26.4 PPG whereas in the past they were scoring in the thirties. The Saints top receivers this year are Jimmy Graham, Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, Marcus Colston. They used to be a WR oriented offense. Now they feature the TE and RBs. They have contributed 2/3rds of the Saints receptions. Including Colston brings the total to 81%.

Only one of Sproles and Thomas should be on the field at a time. I think BB can scheme to stop them but I'd rather they get catches for short yardage than giving up catches to Graham. I'd put Talib or Dennard on Colston who hasn't been healthy. Use every other resource to stop Jimmy Graham.

The big reason the Saints are undefeated is their defense. They are 12th in opponent QB rating, 8th in sacks, 5th in TOs. Their defense isn't flawless given that they are 24th in yards per play allowed and last in yards per run allowed.

I think a conservative game plan is the way to go. Run the ball, dink N dunk, protect the football. All out cliche football. Without turnovers the Saints won't score more than 20.

Well, I've seen both of them in the game at the same time, on several occasions.

Were they both in the backfield or was one flexed out? Either way an 8 yard catch for one of them is better than a 16 yarder for Graham. I'm still more concerned about the Pats offense.

Saints D-Line id much improved, and Cam Jordan is a future All-Pro and beast at DE. Akeim Hicks is huge a load to deal with at 6-5 330 because he is so quick. Our rookie NT Jenkins is coming along and is also hard to move off the line at 6-4 345. The rotation is above average and Rob Ryan is getting pressure without blitzing.
Your O-line has always been a good one. This will be a good battle.

Without Gronk and Vereen this goes to the NO LB's in my opinion. If they were healthy I would reverse that.

Our DB's are maybe a bit above average, but Brady is a elite QB, but his WR's are not this year. If they can get Amendola going maybe this helps.

Our O-line is stout in the middle with the 2 probowl guards and very smart center. Our Tackles are average at best but Brees gets the ball out so fast they can be average.
Without Wilfork and Kelly this will be a hard assignment for your D-line.

Sproles is to hard for any LB top cover and Thomas is possibly the best sreen running back in the league with his great balance. We have not run the ball well at all, but with your depleted D-line maybe we get on some kind of roll. But then again we throw so much that its hard for our RB's to get in a groove.
Jimmy Graham will kill anyone trying cover him plain and simple. He has beat double and triple coverage this year. AT 6-7 270 how can anyone stop him aside from maybe stabbing him in the legs.

Tailb is a baller and physical CB, I was glad when he left Tampa. He is a top 10 talent. He will probably shadow Colston taking him out the game. Our other rookie WR's coming along in Stills and Toon, and Meachem is back to being our deep threat.

Coaching?
Payton is the master offensive playcaller and Bellichek is a master defensive coach.
This will be a great coaching matchup! Too close to call.

Tangibles? (ie TOP, Turnover ratios, Penalties, Red Zone efficiency) The Saints have been lucky in not giving up many turnovers and the defense looks alot like the 2009 D that led the league in creating them. But that luck could run out in Foxboro

Intangibles?
The game in at New England which is a very difficult place to ome out with a win. At least the weather will be nice.<!-- / message -->

Yeah, yeah, yeah... :cuss:

but..... I actually have no argument with this whatsoever, in fact, I agree with that assessment 100%

Back