My FA/Draft Plan

Tom Curran reports that the Pats and BJGE have been unable to reach a deal, and that BJGE will test with market:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/903475-bjge-hit-open-market.html

Fine by me. Benny's a good back in many ways - he's durable, protects the ball well, runs north-south, is a hrad worker and team player, and is a no-nonsense low-maintenance guy. There's lots to like. But he's got limited break-away or big play ability, and he's fairly limited in terms of his ability to integrate the running and passing games, which I'd really like to see. That's what Vereen and Ridley offer that BJGE doesn't, and that's why I'd prefer exchanging him for a guy like Mike Tolbert, if the price were comparable (or less, obviously).

The reality is it's a business. If you prioritize Welker, Hernandez, and Gronk, going forward, unfortunately Wes comes out on the short stick. Now I loves me some Wes Welker, but he's not as valuable as those two down the road, IMO. Now add in Wallace, (who's best years are likely ahead of him), and we could get by without Welker, if they can make the money work.

I will say that he's earned the right to get his big payday someplace, even if it isn't here.

There is zero need to take care of Gronk and Hernandez right now. AS you say, it's a business. They are both under contract for two years. They have no leverage. The Pats made Welker and Mankins play until their contract was up. Why should they change their policy? Welker isn't under contract and has leverage. He's got the leverage not the Pats. You can keep him by just writing a check. You have to write a similiar check and cough up a 1st rounder for Wallace. Just write the check to Wes. As for Gronk and Ahern. Sorry, it's just bidness.

There is zero need to take care of Gronk and Hernandez right now. AS you say, it's a business. They are both under contract for two years. They have no leverage. The Pats made Welker and Mankins play until their contract was up. Why should they change their policy? Welker isn't under contract and has leverage. He's got the leverage not the Pats. You can keep him by just writing a check. You have to write a similiar check and cough up a 1st rounder for Wallace. Just write the check to Wes. As for Gronk and Ahern. Sorry, it's just bidness.

You're right and you're wrong. Obviously, both are under contract for 2 more years. So they have little direct leverage (though that didn't stop Deion Branch from holding out in 2006). But indirectly they have leverage for a number of reasons:

1. The offense is built around the TE position, and keeping both of them would be tremendous.
2. Both are young (21 and 22) and should only get better, which will only drive up their price. As the Pats saw with Asante Samuel, waiting may have undesirable consequences.
3. Tying up both long term will be difficult. Getting one of them resolved would allow the franchise tag to be used on the other.

Well run FO's look down the road at the long-term ramifications of their moves. Bad ones just "pay the money", and then deal with the consequences. I'm not suggesting that the Pats "take care" of Gronk and Hernandez right now, but I am suggesting that whatever they do at the receiving position (WRs and TEs) should be done with Gronk and Hernandez' long-term situation in mind.

You're right and you're wrong. Obviously, both are under contract for 2 more years. So they have little direct leverage (though that didn't stop Deion Branch from holding out in 2006). But indirectly they have leverage for a number of reasons:

1. The offense is built around the TE position, and keeping both of them would be tremendous.
2. Both are young (21 and 22) and should only get better, which will only drive up their price. As the Pats saw with Asante Samuel, waiting may have undesirable consequences.
3. Tying up both long term will be difficult. Getting one of them resolved would allow the franchise tag to be used on the other.

Well run FO's look down the road at the long-term ramifications of their moves. Bad ones just "pay the money", and then deal with the consequences. I'm not suggesting that the Pats "take care" of Gronk and Hernandez right now, but I am suggesting that whatever they do at the receiving position (WRs and TEs) should be done with Gronk and Hernandez' long-term situation in mind.

Some think the cap could approach 160m for the 2014 season. You tag Hernandez. Right after the 2013 season starts you extend Gronk's contract with a humongous signing bonus so that the hit doesn't start until that next season. He gets to play the 2013 season knowing he's got a big contract extension and a big bonus in his pocket. Problem solved.

And, when players hold out now. They don't get credit for the season like they used to.

Some think the cap could approach 160m for the 2014 season. You tag Hernandez. Right after the 2013 season starts you extend Gronk's contract with a humongous signing bonus so that the hit doesn't start until that next season. He gets to play the 2013 season knowing he's got a big contract extension and a big bonus in his pocket. Problem solved.

Glad to hear it's so simple.

And, when players hold out now. They don't get credit for the season like they used to.

I might not even wait for 2013. Gronk! is the best TE in the league right now and every other team salivates over the thought of getting him.

When he is healthy and on his game he is unstoppable.

Get Gronk! Signed!!!!!

Some of you bros need to get out of the house more.

Twas the night before free agency. When all throughout the house,
all the posters were busy typing, checking their lists once, checking it twice.
Visions of Lombardi's in the air
BB trying to figure the cap
While Box O Rocks was taking a nap
It was the droid beepin
Rap kept a tweetin
I open my eyes and what should appear
Super Mario donning his Pats gear

Mike Loyko at NEPatriotsdraft.com tries his hand at a mock offseason and draft:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/03/patriots-mock-offseason.html#more-15309

Some similarities with mine, some differences:

1. I agree with pretty much all of his "departures" list, which includes BJGE, Kevin Faulk, Shaun Ellis and Dan Koppen, among others.

2. He has Mark Anderson re-signing for 2 years at $6.5M and Matt Slater at 4 years for $4.4.M. I think the annual $$$ is about right for each (about $3M/year for Anderson and $1M/year for Slater), but I'd sign Anderson for a 3-4 year deal, not 2.

3. He has the Pats tendering Brian Hoyer at a 2nd round level, $1.9M and keeping him. I still think keeping both Hoyer and Mallett is a luxury. We'll see how this pans out.

4. Loyko has Dan Connolly re-signing for 3 years at $3.5M. I'd be thrilled with that, but I think it's ridiculous. Connolly started for us at LG in 2010 for 8 games, and all of last year at center, and played reasonably well at both positions. He'll command more. I'd say 3 years at $7.5M.

5. Andre Carter. I agree with Loyko on this one. I think that Anderson is the priority because of his age. With Ninkovich and Anderson in the fold, the Pats can make a run at Mario Williams, with Carter a backup option. Teams won't be throwing money at a 33 year old coming off IR despite his 10 sacks in 2011, and Carter won't rush to sign elsewhere. If Williams falls through, Carter is a backup option for 2012.

6. I'm not in agreement about James Ihedigbo, Tracy White and Deion Branch. White and Ihedigbo are in my "wait and see what options are available" list. I don't want Branch back - we need an infusion of youth and athleticism at WR.

7. Loyko has the Pats cutting Chad Ochocinco, Josh Barrett and Sergio Brown. All could happen, or none. I'd love to move on from Ochocinco (see Deion Branch above), but it will depend on who the Pats sign and whether Ochocinco restructures or not. Barrett and Brown are certainly expendable, but only if something better is available at reasonable money.\

8. I'd be thrilled with Adam Carriker for 3 years @ $8M. Very reasonable for a solid starting caliber 3-4 DE.

9. Reggie Smith for 2 years @ $2.5M is unrealistic. ESPN recently rumored that the market for Smith would be more like 2 years at $5M with $2.5M guaranteed. I don't think he's worth that to the Pats.

10. Loyko has the Pats signing an OT/OG at a vet minimum. Geoff Schwartz is as good a candidate as any. I think that Matt Light retiring is more likely than not, and may be a good thing given how much cap space he would free up.

11. I'd much rather put the money freed up by Matt Light along with Loyko's FA signings of Brandon Carr (unlikely, and he'll command more money), Wes Woodyard, Dave Tollefson and others towards a run at Mario Williams.

12. I'd much rather get Josh Morgan for 5 years @ $24M than Brandon Lloyd, given the age and personality issues. For slightly more money, if it can be done, I'd make a run at Pierre Garcon.

13. As stated above, if BJGE leaves (as is likely right now) then I'd go after Mike Tolbert, who I'd consider an upgrade to the RB corps.

14. I don't like Loyko's draft at all, but that's JMHO. I don't see Dont'a Hightower as having the mobility to play outside, and we already have Brandon Spikes. Mark Barron is not unreasonable, but I'd prefer a CB/FS hybrid with more coverage ability. Kendall Reyes at 48 would be reasonable value if he lasts that long. I think that Brian Quick at 63 is a huge reach. Josh Robinson at 94 would be a steal right now, but as things currently stand he's more likely to go in the top 40 picks.

But it's a nice effort, and it's interesting to compare different versions.

He has the Pats tendering Brian Hoyer at a 2nd round level, $1.9M and keeping him. I still think keeping both Hoyer and Mallett is a luxury. We'll see how this pans out.

What do you think of this trade scenario Mayo? Let's assume Peyton to Denver. Flynn to Seattle and Tanneyhill to Miami. Cleveland can't and shouldn't reach for Tanneyhill at 4. Do you think they would be interested in Ryan Mallett? Most people had him right up there with Gabbert last year. Ahead of Locker and Ponder and Dalton. We get their 2nd in 2013, which turns into a 1st if he plays in over 50pct of their plays.

What do you think of this trade scenario Mayo? Let's assume Peyton to Denver. Flynn to Seattle and Tanneyhill to Miami. Cleveland can't and shouldn't reach for Tanneyhill at 4. Do you think they would be interested in Ryan Mallett? Most people had him right up there with Gabbert last year. Ahead of Locker and Ponder and Dalton. We get their 2nd in 2013, which turns into a 1st if he plays in over 50pct of their plays.

If teams had Mallet up there with Gabbert and Locker, then he would have went higher than the 3rd round. Obviously they did not have an interest in him before the 3rd round at least last year, so not sure what could have changed in a year of not playing and being inactive most of the year.

If teams had Mallet up there with Gabbert and Locker, then he would have went higher than the 3rd round. Obviously they did not have an interest in him before the 3rd round at least last year, so not sure what could have changed in a year of not playing and being inactive most of the year.

The reason he fell was because of the concern for his off-field lifestyle. Nothing to do with his physical ability. A year of keeping his nose clean helps him. And, a year of learning to be a professional qb under Brady/Belichick doesn't change anything. Huh??

Here's his scouting report from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/ryan-mallett?id=2495443

The reason he fell was because of the concern for his off-field lifestyle. Nothing to do with his physical ability. A year of keeping his nose clean helps him. And, a year of learning to be a professional qb under Brady/Belichick doesn't change anything. Huh??

Here's his scouting report from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/ryan-mallett?id=2495443

Not when teams are trying to make deals, the....oh he was a Patriots player does not really work in negotiations. I just am not sure a team would go real high on a player who was taken for a 3rd and has not done anything in the NFL. Not saying it will not happen, but teams try to get things for as cheap as they can.

Back