Need some help here.....

sammi71

Resident Psych....or something else:)
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is involved when you have someone sectioned under mass law #35 I think. For drug addiction. I have NO idea what is involved here. The only thing I do know is that a family memeber has to do it. I don't know if this is the right thing to do for a drug addict. Maybe it is the right thing, and I'm just afraid it won't work. Any info is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Does anyone know what is involved when you have someone sectioned under mass law #35 I think. For drug addiction. I have NO idea what is involved here. The only thing I do know is that a family memeber has to do it. I don't know if this is the right thing to do for a drug addict. Maybe it is the right thing, and I'm just afraid it won't work. Any info is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

You may want to try talking this family member into going into a detox rather than a mental hospital, which is what happens when they get state sectioned.

They'll do it, but unless there's other history of mental illness, they're treated pretty shabbily in lieu of treating those with more pressing mental illness issues.

My 2 cents. :shrug:

You may want to try talking this family member into going into a detox rather than a mental hospital, which is what happens when they get state sectioned.

They'll do it, but unless there's other history of mental illness, they're treated pretty shabbily in lieu of treating those with more pressing mental illness issues.

My 2 cents. :shrug:
Thanks. I'll give a little back round, at least what I've been told and what little I know. She is addicted to xanax(6 to 8 milligrams a day, which is huge) and methadone. She said the detoxes she has contacted do not detox from xanax. Now i get from the father of her child is, if detox won't do it she needs to be sectioned so she can't leave. Again, I'm at a loss here as to what to do. I feel like I've been banging my head against the wall now.:banghead:
I will call detoxes in Mass on monday and see what I can do.

Thanks again for the info

Not sure how much help this is, but here's the actual statute (Mass General Laws Chapter 123 Section 35) with some highlights

Mass General Laws Chapter 123, Section 35. For the purposes of this section, "alcoholic'' shall mean a person who chronically or habitually consumes alcoholic beverages to the extent that (1) such use substantially injures his health or substantially interferes with his social or economic functioning, or (2) he has lost the power of self-control over the use of such beverages.

For the purposes of this section, "substance abuser'' shall mean a person who chronically or habitually consumes or ingests controlled substances or who intentionally inhales toxic vapors to the extent that: (i) such use substantially injures his health or substantially interferes with his social or economic functioning; or (ii) he has lost the power of self-control over the use of such controlled substances or toxic vapors.

Any police officer, physician, spouse, blood relative, guardian or court official may petition in writing any district court or any division of the juvenile court department for an order of commitment of a person whom he has reason to believe is an alcoholic or substance abuser. Upon receipt of a petition for an order of commitment of a person and any sworn statements the court may request from the petitioner, the court shall immediately schedule a hearing on the petition and shall cause a summons and a copy of the application to be served upon the person in the manner provided by section twenty-five of chapter two hundred and seventy-six. In the event of the person's failure to appear at the time summoned, the court may issue a warrant for the person's arrest. Upon presentation of such a petition, if there are reasonable grounds to believe that such person will not appear and that any further delay in the proceedings would present an immediate danger to the physical well-being of the respondent, said court may issue a warrant for the apprehension and appearance of such person before it. No arrest shall be made on such warrant unless the person may be presented immediately before a judge of the district court. The person shall have the right to be represented by legal counsel and may present independent expert or other testimony. If the court finds the person indigent, it shall immediately appoint counsel. The court shall order examination by a qualified physician or a qualified psychologist.

If, after a hearing, the court based upon competent medical testimony finds that said person is an alcoholic or substance abuser and there is a likelihood of serious harm as a result of his alcoholism or substance abuse, it may order such person to be committed for a period not to exceed thirty days. Such commitment shall be for the purpose of inpatient care in public or private (as Tommy suggested) facilities approved by the department of public health under the provisions of chapter one hundred and eleven B for the care and treatment of alcoholism or substance abuse. The person may be committed to the Massachusetts correctional institution at Bridgewater, if a male, or at Framingham, if a female, provided that there are not suitable facilities available under chapter one hundred and eleven B; and provided, further, that the person so committed shall be housed and treated separately from convicted criminals. A person so committed may be released prior to the expiration of the period of commitment upon determination by the superintendent that release of said person will not result in a likelihood of serious harm. Said person shall be encouraged to consent to further treatment and shall be allowed voluntarily to remain in the facility for such purposes. The department of mental health, in conjunction with the department of public health, shall maintain a roster of public and private facilities available, together with the number of beds currently available, for the care and treatment of alcoholism or substance abuse and shall make it available to the district courts of the commonwealth on a monthly basis.

If, after a hearing and based upon competent testimony, which shall include, but not be limited to, medical testimony, the court finds that such person is an alcoholic or substance abuser and there is a likelihood of serious harm as a result of the person's alcoholism or substance abuse, the court may order such person to be committed for a period not to exceed 90 days, followed by the availability of case management services provided by the department of public health for up to 1 year; provided, however, that a review of the necessity of the commitment shall take place by the superintendent on days 30, 45, 60 and 75 as long as the commitment continues. A person so committed may be released prior to the expiration of the period of commitment upon written determination by the superintendent that release of that person will not result in a likelihood of serious harm. Such commitment shall be for the purpose of inpatient care in public or private facilities approved by the department of public health under chapter 111B for the care and treatment of alcoholism or substance abuse. The person may be committed to the Massachusetts correctional institution at Bridgewater, if a male, or at Framingham, if a female, if there are not suitable facilities available under said chapter 111B; provided, however, that the person so committed shall be housed and treated separately from convicted criminals.

Such person shall, upon release, be encouraged to consent to further treatment and shall be allowed voluntarily to remain in the facility for such purpose. The department of mental health, in conjunction with the department of public health, shall maintain a roster of public and private facilities available, together with the number of beds currently available, for the care and treatment of alcoholism or substance abuse and shall make the roster available to the district courts on a monthly basis.

Nothing in this section shall preclude any public or private facility for the care and treatment of alcoholism or substance abuse, including the separated facilities at the Massachusetts correctional institutions at Bridgewater and Framingham, from treating persons on a voluntary basis.

So: !. Any cop teacher, family member etc can petion to have someone committed for 30 days.

2. If the Judge finds the person to be alchoholic AND at risk of harm, can order the commitment.

There are State run and many private facilities that can handle it Most Judges will work with the family on this to find an amenable setting.

If there is still danger, the stay can be extended. It's usually a Doctor at the rehab venue who would petition to extend the committment. This is fairly rare. Staying on voluntarily is much more common believe it or not.

I have represented one client, a personal friend, in this situation and I have a limited background in this and my comments are based on a quick reading of the statute and a couple of other items and my one fairly recent case.

Good luck.

Cheers, BostonTim

Not sure how much help this is, but here's the actual statute (Mass General Laws Chapter 123 Section 35) with some highlights

So: !. Any cop teacher, family member etc can petion to have someone committed for 30 days.

2. If the Judge finds the person to be alchoholic AND at risk of harm, can order the commitment.

There are State run and many private facilities that can handle it Most Judges will work with the family on this to find an amenable setting.

If there is still danger, the stay can be extended. It's usually a Doctor at the rehab venue who would petition to extend the committment. This is fairly rare. Staying on voluntarily is much more common believe it or not.

I have represented one client, a personal friend, in this situation and I have a limited background in this and my comments are based on a quick reading of the statute and a couple of other items and my one fairly recent case.

Good luck.

Cheers, BostonTim
Thanks Tim! This helps alot more than what I found looking for things.

Thanks. I'll give a little back round, at least what I've been told and what little I know. She is addicted to xanax(6 to 8 milligrams a day, which is huge) and methadone. She said the detoxes she has contacted do not detox from xanax. Now i get from the father of her child is, if detox won't do it she needs to be sectioned so she can't leave. Again, I'm at a loss here as to what to do. I feel like I've been banging my head against the wall now.:banghead:
I will call detoxes in Mass on monday and see what I can do.

Thanks again for the info

Sammi the only detox off Xanax is a long term step down. At that level, its going to take awhile. If you cut her off, she'll probably have a grand mal seizure. You have to cut a half milligram and stay there two weeks and so on and so on. Watched this happen to a friend of mine back in the 90s. Some guy at a KMart pharmacy was her hook up. It takes a LONG time with that one. Considering the drug is used to treat anxiety, maybe a shrink is the best doctor to start with. Maybe they have a better treatment now, but I honestly don't think so.

What ever you do, do not cut her off the Xanax. Let a doctor do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sammi the only detox off Xanax is a long term step down. At that level, its going to take awhile. If you cut her off, she'll probably have a grand mal seizure. You have to cut a half milligram and stay there two weeks and so on and so on. Watched this happen to a friend of mine back in the 90s. Some guy at a KMart pharmacy was her hook up. It takes a LONG time with that one. Considering the drug is used to treat anxiety, maybe a shrink is the best doctor to start with. Maybe they have a better treatment now, but I honestly don't think so.

What ever you do, do not cut her off the Xanax. Let a doctor do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know pyx....she tried staying off it for 2 days and had a seizure. I was like WTF you know better than to try and do that. Its like running around in cirlcles. Some places want to put her on suboxin, Substitute one drug for another. Its more than a little frustrating, and more so since I am 1200 miles away. though I will be honest I want to strangle her, and I know that is not an option, but none the less i wanna.

Man, I understand she's an addict, but how the hell did she get up that level of Xanax?
Posted via Mobile Device

Man, I understand she's an addict, but how the hell did she get up that level of Xanax?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats what I said pyx. When I worked at the Psych office, the most that was prescribed was 1mg 3x's a day and that was only 2 patients at that level. She said her Dr knew how anxious she was, I was like no you knew how to play him. Not to mention he was quite old.

Sammi, understand first and foremost that she's probably lying to you about what she's taking, only because that's what addicts do. So while she tells you that's what she's taking, add a few things to it.

Methadone is a very, very difficult drug to get off of. Moreso even than heroin. It actually gets into your bones. Withdrawal is difficult. Xanax has a pretty ugly withdrawal, also.

Right now, there are virtually no beds in Massachusetts, so voluntary inpatient is going to be difficult. Also the fact that it is voluntary, and she can leave after 24 hours if she chooses. Your best bet is to have her sectioned. She will either end up in Bridgewater or Framingham, but she can't leave...30-day commitment, as Tim as indicated.

If you want some assistance, I have a number for you to call and a person for you to speak with that is pretty knowledgeable about what facilities have availability right now if she's willing to go inpatient. If there are no beds, your sister would have to go to an emergency room, where they'll hold her until they can place her...again, voluntary.

Let me know.

Back