New Patriots Era

Dirtywater

Planet's Graphics
Reaction score
OK, so with the loss of our OC & DC, Phifer, possibly Bruschi, possibly T.Brown and who knows who else, are we entering a new era in Patriots football here?

It just feels different now. I am at peace with whatever happens, but I am curious to see how this new squad responds.

Although I am not saying our time has passed by any stretch, if it has it was one hell of a time! :D

DW

I feel the same way.

I hate to see any of "our guys" leave.

But I also know the winning formula doesn't allow a team to stand pat. You've gotta roll with the changes.

It still feels like tough love, though.

I think it's all very well and good to worry about next season, but it's the season after next season that I think we need to focus our attention on.

Dirtywater said:
OK, so with the loss of our OC & DC, Phifer, possibly Bruschi, possibly T.Brown and who knows who else, are we entering a new era in Patriots football here?

It just feels different now. I am at peace with whatever happens, but I am curious to see how this new squad responds.

Although I am not saying our time has passed by any stretch, if it has it was one hell of a time! :D

DW

I know what you mean.

Losing a guy like Brown hurts. You wonder if he didn't get screwed by playing defense last year which cost him incentive money only to be rewarded by getting cut.

I know Troy is getting older, but I have a sour taste in my mouth about this whole thing.

I guess what you have to do is separate your loyalty and affections for a particular player, which is built up over time, and just look at what they can do for you in the present moment.

Troy only caught about 17 balls last year and isn't going to make anyone forget about Deion Sanders at DB, though he gave it his all and wasn't that bad back there.

Bottom line is they don't care about hurting his feelings, or our feelings. They are like mafia contract killers- ruthless and efficient and you have to admit very effective.

Re: Re: New Patriots Era

Hawg73 said:
Bottom line is they don't care about hurting his feelings, or our feelings. They are like mafia contract killers- ruthless and efficient and you have to admit very effective.

Boy, isn't that the truth.

This is the reason I hate this time of the year. I'm tempted to just shut my eyes until the regular season and pretend I don't notice 'the missing' when kickoff of that first regular season game arrives - especially for the guys like Troy Brown who's not 'just another guy getting cut'.

I really hope Troy comes back. I think he will - and I hope that's not just wishful thinking on my part. It would seem pretty cold to do that to someone that has been a major part of the Patriots for the last decade and has done as much for the team as he has.

Brady is still QB
Dillon is still here
Ditto Branch and Givens
Seymour too
Belichik is still C O C H (Al form Everret reference)
Kraft is still owner
Pioli is still working in player/personnel

In WAY better shape than 60% of NFL teams.

It's hard and sad :( to see some of these guys go but I'm still positive and happy with the team.

babalu87 said:
Brady is still QB
Dillon is still here
Ditto Branch and Givens
Seymour too
Belichik is still C O C H (Al form Everret reference)
Kraft is still owner
Pioli is still working in player/personnel

In WAY better shape than 60% of NFL teams.

I know, it is just that this now has a different feeling to it. Many of the same players, but it just seems as though we are now entering a new era if Pats football. Doesn't make it good or bad.

This whole Brown thing, while consistant with the Pats M.O., just feels bad and/or wrong. I wish T.Brown nothing but the best. :thumb:

Maybe that's the key here.

Maybe the Pats have figured out the secret to perpetuating a dynasty.

You have to have constant churn and a constant stream of new talent taking over from the older players.

Maybe that's what ended up happening to all the other teams that had a long run at the top-- they got attached to certain guys and couldn't bring themselves to let them go.

They were too willing to stick with the status quo and were afraid to take the risk with a fresh set of players.

Belichick isn't afraid of anything.

Maybe these players somehow know that their tenure here is temporary, but will give their all to the team that is in place at that given moment and instead of shedding tears for "fallen comrades" they have accepted the reality of the situation-- namely that your time at the top is short so don't cheat yourself or your team on the field or off it and when it is your time to go you will probably land somewhere else, but it will never be as good as it was here.

In a word, these guys are mature pros who know the deal full well.

That might sound idealistic, but it is probably closer to the truth than thinking something like the team is getting ready to mutiny because of the front office (not that anyone has suggested that here).

Dirtywater said:

This whole Brown thing, while consistant with the Pats M.O., just feels bad and/or wrong.

It is like getting rid of your dog, after years of loyal, unquestioned love, you call the vet because ol' yella can't hunt with the puppies anymore and put her down.

Hawg73 said:
Maybe that's the key here.

Maybe the Pats have figured out the secret to perpetuating a dynasty.

You have to have constant churn and a constant stream of new talent taking over from the older players.

Maybe that's what ended up happening to all the other teams that had a long run at the top-- they got attached to certain guys and couldn't bring themselves to let them go.

They were too willing to stick with the status quo and were afraid to take the risk with a fresh set of players.

Belichick isn't afraid of anything.

Maybe these players somehow know that their tenure here is temporary, but will give their all to the team that is in place at that given moment and instead of shedding tears for "fallen comrades" they have accepted the reality of the situation-- namely that your time at the top is short so don't cheat yourself or your team on the field or off it and when it is your time to go you will probably land somewhere else, but it will never be as good as it was here.

In a word, these guys are mature pros who know the deal full well.

That might sound idealistic, but it is probably closer to the truth than thinking something like the team is getting ready to mutiny because of the front office (not that anyone has suggested that here).

I think you pretty much hammered the nail on the head.

Course even if a player knows its coming, its how he deals with it that determines if it's viewed as "just business" or "starting a mutiny". Bryan Morry I think said it very well.... And I'm paraphrasing here... Does Troy Brown talk to Givens and say "The Pats screwed me." or does he say "Hey, the Pats and I both knew that I wasn't going to be kept around for that kind of money." Most of the players (with the exception of Milloy) have been cut, with no real negative things to say. Even Law talked about "business". Course, that's all we're hearing... Who knows what these guys are saying to their teammates. :shrug:

But I think Hawg pretty much summed up the Pats way of keeping the team running successfully.

Back