New Rules Change Proposals

Oh you mean his eligible receivers wearing pinnies thing didn't pass? ROFL

I honestly had no idea it was disallowed for offensive and defensive play callers to use the coach to player playcaller system if they were in a different locale (I assume this is for playcallers who are in the booth since ones on the sidelines always use it). I thought they just wanted that extra layer of telephone BS between them and the player. I have literally NEVER heard it was illegal for a playcaller in the booth to be on that system.

Chop Blocks

The chop block one could be very significant. This will make the running game more difficult, quite possibly significantly shifting the run or pass play calling decision to even more favor the pass.

They may have to allow pass defenders to defend against the pass to maintain something resembling balance.

Harbaugh must feel like a real idiot right now......well, like more of an idiot.

I don't believe anyone in Bawltimore believed the "proposal" for vests would pass. They more just wanted to continue to whine about that loss because let's face it, it was the WORST lost in recent Bawltimore post-season history. Up 14 TWICE in the same game and blew it with Flacco's throwing his famous lollipop pick to end it. It was so beautiful. I LOVE that they are still salty over those plays. I am sure they would make a rule about the double pass if they could ...

The chop block one could be very significant. This will make the running game more difficult, quite possibly significantly shifting the run or pass play calling decision to even more favor the pass.

They may have to allow pass defenders to defend against the pass to maintain something resembling balance.

certainly puts a crimp in zone blocking schemes that relied on backside cut blocks to slow pursuit and create cutback lanes. but other forms of blocking should still work just fine.

a lot of running backs will have issues blocking blitzers which will have an effect on some passing schemes.

certainly puts a crimp in zone blocking schemes that relied on backside cut blocks to slow pursuit and create cutback lanes. but other forms of blocking should still work just fine.

a lot of running backs will have issues blocking blitzers which will have an effect on some passing schemes.

Yep. This is horrible news for Kubiak. Not that it trumps signing Butt Fumble by any means. :dbanana:

I don't believe anyone in Bawltimore believed the "proposal" for vests would pass. They more just wanted to continue to whine about that loss because let's face it, it was the WORST lost in recent Bawltimore post-season history. Up 14 TWICE in the same game and blew it with Flacco's throwing his famous lollipop pick to end it. It was so beautiful. I LOVE that they are still salty over those plays. I am sure they would make a rule about the double pass if they could ...

When I started playing football we actually used a vest system for ineligible players to become eligible by number. An eligible tackle would throw on a vest with a number in the 80's in order to go out for a pass. The NCCA banned that one long ago and now the tackle eligible play is simply illegal. I'd hate to see the NFL follow suit. They need to leave well enough alone.

So the NFL still hasn't fixed the catch rules?

There was so many problems last year due to this, the big question has become "what is a catch?"

I just cannot understand why professional football players cannot be taught how to look at a formation and determine who is eligible. No numbers, no player size, no pad types, no vests, none of these things are needed to tell who is eligible. You only need to look at the formation!

Or if there is any question who should and shouldn't be covered, simply shift to a zone defense.

That solves the problem completely since only eligible receivers will be downfield.

This is one of the things Matt Chattam mentioned at the time.

He said every defense he played on had a "safe" call they could shift to if they weren't sure what the offense was doing.

Of course he played for teams with real coaches.

Oh you mean his eligible receivers wearing pinnies thing didn't pass? ROFL I honestly had no idea it was disallowed for offensive and defensive play callers to use the coach to player playcaller system if they were in a different locale (I assume this is for playcallers who are in the booth since ones on the sidelines always use it). I thought they just wanted that extra layer of telephone BS between them and the player. I have literally NEVER heard it was illegal for a playcaller in the booth to be on that system.

I suspect the rule had more to do with the old communications system, than anything else.

I just read an article that the NFL is rolling out a new VoIP based system using a dedicated frequency.

This is supposed to end all the headset problems.

They mentioned in the article that the new system would allow coaches in the press box to talk to the green dot player.

I interpreted that to mean that the previous system was not technically capable of doing that, so if a coach did in fact do that, they would be using some other system.

I suspect the rule had more to do with the old communications system, than anything else.

I just read an article that the NFL is rolling out a new VoIP based system using a dedicated frequency.

This is supposed to end all the headset problems.

They mentioned in the article that the new system would allow coaches in the press box to talk to the green dot player.

I interpreted that to mean that the previous system was not technically capable of doing that, so if a coach did in fact do that, they would be using some other system.

Here's that article.

Major improvements coming for NFL sideline communication

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- You're never going to believe this. In its 96th year of existence, the NFL will implement a reliable platform for coaches and players to communicate during games.

That's right. If the new system works as designed -- and it has been in testing for more than a year -- we've been told our last story about malfunctioning headsets. No coach will hear, oh, the opposing team's radio broadcast when he's trying to talk to an assistant. You won't see equipment managers frantically plugging in backup wires, either to address a malfunction or because the 10-user limit had been reached. Coaches will be able to speak to players from the press box, and they won't lose contact if they step beyond either 35-yard line.

Incredibly, at a time when mankind is sending satellites to Pluto and building a plane that folds into a car, all of those problems and much more occurred in the NFL last season. But as part of its "Sideline of the Future" project, the NFL is ready to move forward with a VOIP (voice over Internet protocol) system it developed with help from two vendors over a four-year period. In simpler terms, the league will own a private encrypted mobile communication system and operate on an exclusive frequency it acquired from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). It will face no interference because no other product can share its frequency.

"We've known we needed to solve this with something that would work for everyone all the time," said NFL senior vice president/chief information officer Michelle McKenna-Doyle during an interview here at the site of the annual owners meetings. "And we think we have that."

Hired in 2012, McKenna-Doyle has spent much of her time dragging the NFL from a technological stone age. Her office coordinated the shift to Microsoft Surface sideline tablets, ending the days of sliding Polaroid photographs down a clothesline, and spearheaded the implementation of sideline video replays for concussion review. She will also manage the upcoming dispersal of RFID game-day data to each team as well as the expansion of tablet use into game-day video.

All along, however, the NFL knew its decades-old system of using common radio frequencies would have to end soon. Even occasional football fans have seen games stopped for the "equity rule," which requires one team to shut down its headsets if the other's stops working. In the most famous recent incident, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin angrily lashed out when he spent part of a 2015 game listening to the New England Patriots’ play-by-play man in his headset.

Most of the problems, McKenna-Doyle said, could be traced to coordinated frequencies changing during games. The new, dedicated frequency should allow for uninterrupted transmissions. Any power problems, meanwhile, should be minimized by a league-wide optimization project that will configure all technology to best suit each stadium rather than the preferences of individual teams.

Some of the hardware will be different, too. Coaches will still use wireless Bose headsets, but they will wear two devices on their belts -- one an intercom and the other a receiver.

The system should clean up some of the pet peeves coaches expressed during product development. Prior to this year, a signal delay required coaches in the press box to relay messages to the field through a coach on the sideline. Now they'll speak with a high-speed Internet connection, allowing coordinators who call plays to communicate in real time with the quarterback. The same goes for defensive coordinators and their designated signal-caller on the field.

In addition, coaches will now get a more equitable adjudication of the NFL rule that requires all coach-player communication to stop when the play clock reaches 15 seconds. They will now hear two warnings, one as the 15-second mark nears and the other when the connection has been severed. Up until last season, many coaches unknowingly talked through the cutoff and grew frustrated when players didn't follow their full (unheard) instructions.

Finally, the Internet-based structure will allow for future additions to complement sideline technology. Imagine, for example, a digital play sheet on a quarterback's wrist that changes based on signals sent in by a coach.

"I wanted to build a solution that would grow with us and not be tossed out in three years when something else came along," McKenna-Doyle said.

We've all had our fun teasing the big and mighty NFL for its inability to facilitate the most basic communication imaginable. The new system was tested by league officials in all 31 stadiums last season, and with coaches in the Pro Bowl this past January. It should get final approval at this week's meetings. Welcome to the 21st century. It's a wonderful time.

Thanks O_P_T.
Can you believe NFL Live had a whole segment on there about this rule today and not a mention of why it is able to be done? And you are the sole person I have seen mention it at all, that it's tech related.

Seems they also changed the rules for the IR designated to return rule last week.

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- NFL owners passed a change to the league's bylaws Wednesday, proposed by the Buffalo Bills, that will give teams more flexibility in deciding which player they designate to return from injured reserve.

The new bylaw will allow teams to choose one player to return to practice among their players already on injured reserve, provided that player has spent at least six weeks on injured reserve. That player would then be able to return to the active roster and play in a game two weeks later.

The NFL's previous rule, adopted in 2012, required teams to designate the player they wanted to return from injured reserve at the time they placed him on the list. That player would then be eligible to return to practice in six weeks and play two weeks later.

I like this idea.

It lets teams put people on IR and then decide later in the season who they will bring back based on health status and what player they most need.

I agree, love that idea. It's about time SOMETHING passed that helps coaches. It is so rare.

Back