News from Training Camps around the League

Damn. Seeing all of these injury reports is scary - especially after what happened early last year. You just know the injury bug is coming to Foxboro sometime this preseason. I know PK Sam was hobbled - but that's still relatively light compared to some of the names that have gone down already across the league.

Maybe we spent all of our injury karma last year and get a pass this year. Here's to hopin'!

I don't know...Seymour has been among the walking wounded for quite awhile now. :(

Buccaneers | T. Brown Agrees - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:12:40 -0700

ESPNews reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have agreed to an undisclosed contract with free agent WR Tim Brown (Raiders).

Damn. I would have loved to see him become a Bronco. That would have just pissed the hell out of Davis and Raider fans.
Oh well, this is the next best thing.... going to Gruden. That oughtta piss off more than a few in Raider Nation. :D

A little more info on Boldin, but not much more...

Cardinals | Boldin Injury Update - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:14:47 -0700

Updating ongoing reports, Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin (knee) walked to the team cafeteria under his own power Tuesday, Aug. 10. Head coach Dennis Green said tests have been performed and they hope to have a definite answer on his status by the afternoon. Boldin, who was walking with barely a trace of a limp, had previously suffered a torn ACL while in college. During practice Tuesday, he was carted off the field while doing some low impact drills prior to practice. Green said Boldin wasn't running and was barely jogging when his knee froze.

From the Cards site

Notes from Practice, Tuesday, August 10

A day after tests showed no damage in Anquan Boldin’s swollen right knee, the receiver went down while running a route at half speed in warm-ups during Tuesday’s morning workout. Boldin was carted off the field before the 8:45 practice even began.

“We had a little surprise today,” said Head Coach Dennis Green. “Anquan, his knee locked up on him. It is not locked now but they are running some extensive tests to see exactly what that was. He wasn’t running, he was hardly jogging so I am sure something is going on inside but we won’t know until all the tests are done.”

The Cardinals are already hurting at receiver with Bryant Johnson still on the PUP list with a foot injury. Wide receiver Bryan Gilmore also said his knee is still hampering him.

“That is training camp, everybody is hurting right now,” said Gilmore. “I can’t take any more days. We need somebody out here at all times. Injuries are a big part of the game but somebody has to step up and take control sooner or later.”

Linebacker LeVar Woods stood out in the morning practice by making a great read to intercept a Josh McCown pass, and following it up with a crushing hit on Josh Scobey for no gain during a goal line drill.

“I’m having fun out there,” said Woods. “I think yesterday everybody as a group had a bad practice and we wanted to come out today and improve and I think I improved personally and that we improved as a team. Josh told me normally he wouldn’t make that throw and I told him I taught him a lesson. He said that was the last time he’d do that.”

Defensive end Antonio Smith (shoulder) and running back Larry Croom did not practice. Quarterback Shaun King had a sore shoulder and was limited during practice.

Running back Marcel Shipp underwent surgery to repair his dislocated left ankle and fractured fibula this morning.

“Marcel is doing fine,” said his teammate Emmitt Smith. “He is obviously down because of the injury and he went under the knife today but he’ll be okay. He’s a strong kid.”

The team will have an afternoon special teams practice.

Man, the Cards are hurting on O.... Shipp out, a worn down Emmitt starting and already a few banged up WRs before Boldin's injury.

I feel sorry for Cards fans who saw a hint of hope going into this season. :(

August 10, 2004 5:53 PM ET
Chiefs: Maslowski's spot in jeopardy

The News
Middle linebacker Mike Maslowski's chronically ailing knee is proving more prohibitive than anticipated, and the five-year veteran is in danger of being released. "In the National Football League, you just keep going," coach Dick Vermeil told the Kansas City Star. "We don't punish him for it. Hopefully he can work his way through it."

Our View
If Maslowski can't demonstrate the ability to play on a consistent basis without limitation, the Chiefs will go to battle with improving second-year linebacker Kawika Mitchell. Fantasy owners should recall that the K.C. run defense went from bad to absolutely brutal without Maslowski and could once again be ripe for the fantasy taking if he cannot go.

--------------------------

If you remember, this was someone the Pats unsuccessfully went after in restricted free agency awhile back. If he is released, I would not be surprised to see him here at some point in the future.

From the WTF file

From the Cincy Enquirer

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Amid confusion, Lorenzen stays home

By Colleen Kane
Enquirer staff writer

Former University of Kentucky quarterback Jared Lorenzen, still a free agent with the New York Giants, remained in Kentucky on Tuesday, a week and a half after training camp started.

Lorenzen made travel arrangements and was set to report to training camp on July 29, the same day the Giants signed No. 1 draft pick Eli Manning to a six-year, $45 million contract. Lorenzen said he received phone calls from several people and agents, saying that the team had released him.

"I thought I was released," Lorenzen said.

The Giants, however, said they have not talked to Lorenzen, according to Peter John-Baptiste, director of public relations. They placed him on the reserve/did not report list on July 30.

"We did not cut Lorenzen - I don't know where that started," general manager Ernie Accorsi told Giants.com on July 30.

Lorenzen was signed by the Giants in May as an undrafted free agent, and he attended the team's mini-camp. But his place on the team looked shaky this summer, with quarterbacks Ryan Van Dyke, Jesse Palmer, Kurt Warner, who was signed in June, and now Manning all vying for spots. Lorenzen denied rumors that his absence from camp was based on his weight, 288 pounds at draft time.

"It more or less turned into a numbers game," Lorenzen said.

Lorenzen remains in town, where he said he has been for six weeks, spending time with his daughter and family. He bought a house in Edgewood. He said if football does not work out, he would like to get into sports reporting, and hopes to do commentary for high school games this fall.

"It was unfortunate, but I'm spending time with my family, doing things I've been missing out on for five years now," Lorenzen said. "I'm kind of happy right now. ... I'm not as upset as I was when it happened."

But the 23-year-old, who passed for 185 yards a game at Kentucky last year, leaves open the possibility of a future football career, saying he'd like a shot at NFL Europe if the Giants would have him.

"I'd be willing to do it if they would. And if I did get released, and another team would take me, that would be great. More football," Lorenzen said.

"I know I'm not a starter and maybe not even a backup, but just to be on another team ..."

What a :dith:

:shake:

From the pansy-ass file

See, I always said the guy was a little weasel... turns out he's a sissy weasel at that.

From theNY Daily News

Manning braces himself

ALBANY - Rookie quarterback Eli Manning put a little scare into a lot of people yesterday when he showed up for the Giants' morning practice with a big, bulky brace on his left knee.
It turns out it he's worn the brace as "a protective thing" since his junior season at Mississippi. His knee was perfectly fine.

"I said, 'Was there some kind of incident?'" coach Tom Coughlin said. "He said, 'No, I just wore it in college and I'll wear it here.'

"It was a surprise to me, I'll say."

Manning said he usually wears the brace only during games, but this one was new and he wanted to try it out first before his preseason debut Friday night at Giants Stadium. He was not wearing it during the evening practice.

"When you throw, (the left) knee is planted and vulnerable," Manning said. "(The brace is) there so you don't take a lick on your knee and have to miss a play or a game or anything."

From the Niners site

Pickett Catching Up With System
Tuesday, August 10, 2004

At 6-3 and 227 pounds, Cody Pickett looks every bit the part of a rodeo cowboy. In fact, he is one heck of a cowboy who twice qualified for the National Rodeo Finals. His father, Dee, was inducted into the National Rodeo Hall of Fame in 2003 and is among the best of all-time.

And like his legendary father stood tall in the saddle, Pickett is now standing tall in the pocket. After missing mini-camp to finish his school commitments at the University of Washington, Pickett is catching up quickly with the 49ers program.

“It would have been nice to be at mini-camps, but that’s in the past,” Pickett said. “I’m feeling better about where I’m at. We have offensive install almost every night and that is a challenge mentally. Sometimes I’m swimming, but it’s definitely getting better.”

Pickett has inadvertently benefited from Tim Rattay’s prolonged absence from practice. In fact, Pickett took a majority of the reps during Tuesday’s practice as Ken Dorsey was held out by Dennis Erickson.

“He’s still putting it all together, but he’s taking advantage of his opportunities,” quarterbacks coach Rich Olson said. “Really it’s just a matter of time until it clicks. Patience is the key word for him.”

Neither Pickett nor the 49ers will have to wait much longer to see what he can do in a game. The 49ers seventh-round draft pick is expected to see one quarter of action this Saturday against the Oakland Raiders. And Pickett says his goal for the weekend is to play a clean game.

“I just want to go out, not make any mistakes, control the ball and let the offense run,” Pickett said.

I like Pickett... He was another of my pre-season Heisman picks, as was teammate Reggie Williams. Course, the Huskies tanked last season, so that really didn't help either one of them.
But the season before, while Carson Pallmer was stealing the headlines in the PAC-10, Pickett was quietly having a better season personally than palmer, numbers wise. The kid can play.

And I think Dorsey will be another QB that all the "experts" trashed coming out of college and then are so surprised when the guy becomes a stud player in the NFL. The guy is smart, he's a leader, he's got the intangibles... His pre-draft scouting report was almost word for word the same as Brady's, both negatives and positives. People can say it was because Dorsey went to Miami, and that's why he did well.... How well did Brock Berlin do last year?? Dorsey will eventually be a star in the NFL. And I can't stand Florida schools or their players, so for me to say something positive about one of them... You know there's gotta be something there.

And actually, I had Rattay ranked as the 4th best QB in the 2000 draft... behind Pennington, Brady, and Bulger...

So as much as people say the Niners have problems at QB, I think they've got a prett good group. Sure, they lack experience, but if you're good enough you can overcome that...

Just look at Brady. :D

Okay...

The SF QB evaluation portion of the program is now over. :p

From the Cards site

Good News on Anquan Boldin

Further tests down in Phoenix showed only a slight meniscus tear in the right knee of Cardinals star receiver Anquan Boldin, who was carted off the field during warm-ups of Tuesday’s morning practice.

“The good word is slight which means they’ll use a scope to repair it, that’s the other good word, scope,” pointed out Head Coach Dennis Green. “We anticipate him being out for only a couple of weeks.”

Boldin, a second-round draft selection a year ago, exceeded all expectations with one of the most remarkable rookie seasons in NFL history. He became the most prolific rookie receiver in league annals with 101 receptions to earn a roster spot on the 2004 Pro Bowl. His 1,357 receiving yards fell just short of Oiler Bill Groman’s 1960 NFL rookie mark of 1,473 yards.

A few short days after losing running back Marcel Shipp for 8-12 weeks, Green says it was a relief to hear the prognosis on his key receiver.

“I think Anquan is one of the tope receivers in the game,” commented Green. “He was a Pro Bowl player last year and a great competitor. Just not having him out here yesterday and today has made a difference in our football team. We’ll be very happy when he’s back and we don’t anticipate that being very far away.”

The news on Boldin also came as a relief to teammates who are used to seeing Boldin fight through pain to remain on the field.

“I knew it wasn’t good because Anquan is a guy you can depend on day in and day out no matter how he’s feeling,” said receiver Bryan Gilmore. “He always comes out and pushes through pain and he’s definitely a solider in the game and I was real sad to see him go down because I thought for him to stay down on the ground it had to be serious.”

Green said Boldin will have surgery today and will return to Flagstaff following the Minnesota preseason game this weekend.

Starting quarterback Josh McCown who had lunch with Boldin on Tuesday before he departed for Phoenix said Boldin is doing fine.

“As big of a competitor as Anquan is, it is frustrating to him, but he’s ready to figure out what he needs to get back right and get going,” said McCown.

The Cardinals are down to only one of their three starting receivers. With Boldin and Bryant Johnson still recovering from his foot injury, only first-round draft choice Larry Fitzgerald remains healthy. Still, McCown pointed out that he feels comfortable in his remaining group of receivers.

“These guys are coming along, and Bryan Gilmore can step in there, Karl Williams can step in there, Nate Poole,” stated McCown. “We’ve got guys who can step up and play. Jason McAddley has started for us before, so we have guys who have played. It is not like in the past where we’ve been so young in depth. We’ve got some veteran guys and they can step up and take care of it. I trust these guys to make plays.”

Chrissy Mauck, azcardinals.com

Cardinals | Boldin Should Return for 2004 Opener - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:45:54 -0700

Updating an earlier report, John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Arizona Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin (knee) should be available for the start of the 2004 regular season. Boldin underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus on Wednesday, Aug. 11.

The waiting is over for Perry

I won't bore some of ya with the entire story...

But I thought I'd just post one of Perry's comments from an article in the Cincy Enquirer ...

He had a message for fans.

"You can expect a player who loves to play and is going to work hard to play more," he said. "I like to win, I love to win."

:( He was supposed to win for the Pats. :(

From the Cards site

Anquan Boldin Has Surgery to Repair Knee

Pro Bowl receiver Anquan Boldin, who was carted off the field during warm-ups of Tuesday’s morning practice, had surgery on Wednesday to repair his right knee.

“Anquan had an arthroscopic procedure earlier today to repair what his MRI initially indicated was a slight meniscal tear,” said head coach Dennis Green. “Unfortunately, a more intricate examination during surgery revealed a more significant tear than first thought and this required a surgical procedure to repair. The good news is that the surgical procedure went very well and Anquan will be back on the field as good as ever this season. It’s a bit premature to estimate a precise timetable right now because it varies greatly from individual to individual but we are looking at what is typically an 8-12 week injury.”

Boldin, a second-round draft selection a year ago, exceeded all expectations with one of the most remarkable rookie seasons in NFL history. He became the most prolific rookie receiver in league annals with 101 receptions to earn a roster spot on the 2004 Pro Bowl. His 1,357 receiving yards fell just short of Oiler Bill Groman’s 1960 NFL rookie mark of 1,473 yards.

A few short days after losing running back Marcel Shipp for 8-12 weeks, Boldin's absence on the field will be missed.

“I think Anquan is one of the top receivers in the game,” commented Green. “He was a Pro Bowl player last year and a great competitor. Just not having him out here yesterday and today has made a difference in our football team.”

The Cardinals are down to only one of their three starting receivers. With Boldin and Bryant Johnson still recovering from his foot injury, only first-round draft choice Larry Fitzgerald remains healthy. Still, quarterback Josh McCown pointed out that he feels comfortable in his remaining group of receivers.

“These guys are coming along, and Bryan Gilmore can step in there, Karl Williams can step in there, Nate Poole,” stated McCown. “We’ve got guys who can step up and play. Jason McAddley has started for us before, so we have guys who have played. It is not like in the past where we’ve been so young in depth. We’ve got some veteran guys and they can step up and take care of it. I trust these guys to make plays.”

Poole says that it is important to all of the receivers to play up the the level that Boldin sets every day in practice.

“The receivers are going to go out and play hard because we want Anquan to come back to the kind of atmosphere he expects," stated Poole. "We don’t want to be dropping balls or making mistakes, he’d be on us about that. So, we have to make sure we execute this offense, make some catches and get some wins so he can come back and help make a good situation even better.”

Chrissy Mauck, azcardinals.com

Man oh man...... :shake: Both Boldin and Shipp out up to 3 months.... I'm really feeling sorry for Cards' fans. It really did look like they would improve this year but now... :shake: Someone, at sometime, in the Cards' organization must have really pissed off the football Gods.

According to the Cincy Post, because of the extra days of practice due to the delay in the TB/Cincy game, Chris Perry will be playing in the game tonight.

:dance: :dbanana: :dance:

:clap: :D :clap:

And there really were those who laughed at me for saying the Cards had contracted the Phin disease....

I think the Cards and Phins at this point are just trying to outdo each other.... See who can have the worse offseason and finish better than the other.

Course, the Cards have just pretty much been hit with injuries... No franchise player retiring (do the cards have a franchise player? :p ) and no mulitple arrests, that I'm aware of.

Cardinals take another hit, lose defensive tackle King to injury

August 18, 2004

Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Kenny King needs surgery on his right wrist and probably will miss the season, the latest hit to a team struggling with injuries.

King, a fifth-round draft pick last season, had been battling rookie Darnell Dockett for the starting job on the right side of the defense. But he injured wrist tendons that had already been surgically repaired once this year. King missed practice Tuesday to have his injury diagnosed in Phoenix.

``He tried to have it fixed in May, I guess, or April, and it's going to be a tough go,'' coach Dennis Green said about getting King back. ``Because it (rehabilitation) was four months before, and it didn't work.''

In a move to bolster the pass rush following last week's 23-6 exhibition loss at Minnesota, Green moved Dockett to left defensive end.

That's where the third-round selection from Florida State will stay for the time being -- Green said Dockett would play end in Saturday's game against San Diego in Tempe, Ariz.

The return of rookie defensive end Antonio Smith from a shoulder injury should ease the crunch on the defensive line, and Green promised to watch the waiver wire.

King was the fourth starter -- first on defense -- lost to injury. The Cardinals have been practicing without wide receivers Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson, all essential in the three-wideout offensive set that Green expects to play. Defensive end Fred Wakefield sustained his third concussion in a year Saturday, and cornerback Renaldo Hill has a strained hamstring.

In addition, fullback James Hodgins (shoulder), who doesn't count as a starter because of the one-back offense, safety Dexter Jackson (back) and running back Marcel Shipp (broken leg) are out for an extended period.

Perhaps it's a curse of former NFC North/Central coaches??? Wanny, Green... If I were a Seattle fan I'd start worrying. Good thing for Eagle fans that Mornhinweg is only an asst. coach.... The Eagles have enough problems without adding the NFCN curse to their woes. :p And the Lions should be safe with Jauron as a DC. It's looking like just HCs. So Seattle, prepare for doom.

Actually, didn't someone just get hurt in Seattle???

Back