News from Training Camps around the League

Reaction score
Some news on former Pats players.....

Falcons | Coleman Signed - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:33:51 -0700

AtlantaFalcons.com reports the Atlanta Falcons have signed free agent WR Fred Coleman, who most recently played for the San Jose Saber Cats of the Arena Football League.

Panthers | D. Hayes Limited - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:40:01 -0700

Panthers.com reports Carolina Panthers WR Donald Hayes (shoulder) will be limited at the onset of training camp due to a fractured shoulder suffered in the offseason.

And some other interesting tidbits (at least to me) from around the league....

AtlantaFalcons.com reports Atlanta Falcons WR Peerless Price (undisclosed) was held out of workouts Thursday, July 29, with an unspecified injury that is not believed to be serious.

Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid said rookie CB Matt Ware has handled press coverage very well thus far in the early stages of the team's training camp, reports Chris McPherson of PhiladelphiaEagles.com.

Hmmm.... perhaps the Eagles will be getting a pro bowl secondary again.

Updating previous reports, according to Nick Eatman of DallasCowboys.com, the Dallas Cowboys and rookie RB Julius Jones (Notre Dame) have agreed to a six-year contract that includes a signing bonus of approximately $1.8 million. The contract can be voided down to four years, however, based on easily-obtained incentives. The six-year deal lowers Jones' hit on the team's $2.9 million rookie pool, giving the Cowboys more room to sign the rest of their picks.

San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer said the team's starting quarterback competition between QBs Philip Rivers, Drew Brees and Doug Flutie will be "wide open" heading into training camp, according to Nick Schenck of Chargers.com.

I'm putting my money on Rivers starting by week 4.

Jim Flynn, of PewterReport.com, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers disgruntled WR Keenan McCardell will indeed hold out of training camp and possibly all of the 2004 season. "Unfortunately, no progress has been made on a fair market contract for me for the upcoming season," McCardell said in a statement released on Thursday night. "Therefore, as I previously stated, my only choice under the system is to withhold my services. As much as I'd like to be with my teammates working towards another trip to the Super Bowl, I will continue to work out on my own. If and when the team is willing to reasonably extend my contract, I will be on the first plane from Houston to join my teammates in Florida." The Buccaneers do not appear willing to give McCardell a new deal, citing that he's already the highest paid 34-year-old receiver in the league.

Kansas City Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil told KCChiefs.com that LB Mike Maslowski (knee) is likely to be limited to one-a-day workouts in order to rest a bad knee that bothered him for much of the 2003 season and required offseason surgery.

The Pats tried getting him a couple times in the past few years.... it looks like it's good thing they didn't.... the Pats definitely don't need any more injured veterans around.

Miami Dolphins RB Travis Minor told MiamiDolphins.com that he is not concerned with whether or not the team is looking to bring in another running back to compete for the starting job. "I can't sit here and worry about who they bring in," Minor said. "I know whoever they bring in is not going to be a Ricky Williams, so therefore, I'm excited about my chances to get out there and contribute more than what I have in the past couple of years."

SF49ers.com reports San Francisco 49ers QB Tim Rattay (groin) has been cleared to practice with the team but will likely be evaluated on a day-to-day basis.

Perhaps Dorsey won't have to start the season after all.

Jets traing camp preview ....

I especially found this interesting....

"Of the 87 players scheduled to report to camp today, only 16 have six or more years of NFL experience"

Wow, they really are a young team... Me thinks we will have to keep an eye on them in a year or 2. They don't scare me now (Buff scares me the most, since Williams retirement), but in a couple years when the Jets have more experience... They could be scary.

Also, I think Wayne just needs to retire for his own safety.

Thanks for the reports.

The Jets always seem to be a puzzling team to get a handle on for me. Just when I think they are ready to suck out loud they get better, so the safe thing is to assume they will be pretty good.

And hope they suck.

One of the fun things for me starting off a new year is hearing how the high draft picks look in camp to see who is going to tear it up.

We should know a bit more in a week or so.

Okay... I just had to post this one... And hey, it does involve the Phins, unfortunately. :(

The Sun-Sentinel reports the Miami Dolphins have signed rookie OT Tony Pape (Michigan), one of the team's two seventh-round picks, to a four-year deal worth around $1.4 million. The deal includes a signing bonus of about $43,000, along with incentives that could increase the contract's value.

Phins and Jets and Raiders.... Why the heck can't more Wolverines come join Brady or join A-Train and Terrell???? Why must they go to teams I hate????? :banghead:

Speaking of Terrell, what is up with him??? Is he officially a bust yet? Anyone still want him more than Seymour?

Undertaker #59 said:
Speaking of Terrell, what is up with him??? Is he officially a bust yet? Anyone still want him more than Seymour?

Terrell has had Miller (great backup and great guy but a mediocre starter), Chandler, Kordell, and rookie Rex throwing him the ball.... He's used to a guy like Brady getting him the ball.

Actually, he really hasn't had an opportunity, which I don't understand why. Last year with Booker injured he saw the ball more and he made his usual spectacular catches, so he hasn't lost any of his skills. Only thing I can figure is there must be something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about that's keeping the ball away from him. He does act up a lot, nothing major, mostly smack and going on about how great he or one of his teammates is.... But it can be curbed as it was by Brady and Carr.

Lovie has said he will give Terrell every opportunity in camp to show what he can do so hopefully Terrell takes advantage of it.

I can't figure out why Terrell hasn't been a bigger success out there, other than the fact that he is immature and he was playing for the Chicago Clown College for the last 3 years.

Every time I see him play he does something useful. Mgo said it best, the Bears QBs have been awful for the last few years and the Offense has been an embarassment, starting from the top.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we ended up trading a 6th round pick for the guy after all the hype about him and Seymour?

Here's an article from the Sun Times on the very subject....

It seems David has finally decided to grow up a little...

WR coach fingers Terrell for immense improvement

July 29, 2004

BY BRAD BIGGS STAFF REPORTER

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- The end of the Bears' first practice Wednesday looked more like drill camp than training camp. The wide receivers were doing fingertip pushups in the middle of the field after the majority of the team was in the locker room.

In a circle, the group of nine -- minus Marty Booker, who had a minor leg injury, and rookie Bernard Berrian, who was not suited up -- worked to the command of coach Darryl Drake, who was shouting, "Down!''

"That's something I've done for 25 years, getting their fingers strong,'' said Drake, who came from Texas, where he helped groom Detroit Lions first-round draft pick Roy Williams. "It will help them as the season goes on. When you're blocking and you're catching, you always have injuries to your fingers. What it does is make them stronger, and when they have a strain or something, it allows them to come back a lot quicker.''

Some days, Drake will have the group do as many as 300 pushups, and he knows Booker and Berrian have some catching up to do. Those aren't the only pushups the group does. Receivers also will drop and do 10 when they drop a pass during practice.

After the group broke up, David Terrell and Daryl Jones went to catch extra passes from a Jugs machine, a move they made on their own.

"I'm more proud of [Terrell] since I've been here, as far as wanting to get better, than anyone else,'' Drake said. "From the first day, he's improved tremendously. We've just got to ask him to do things he can do and not things he can't do.''

What Drake thinks Terrell can do is be a threat in the red zone, something the Bears talked about but rarely did after his rookie season in 2001, when he caught four touchdown passes. It got so bad last year that offensive coordinator John Shoop didn't want Terrell active on game days. Shoop didn't win that war, but he certainly had an impact on Terrell's reduced role.

"David's a guy that does a great job with his body,'' Drake said. "He can catch the ball over the middle, inside. He can block. He's tremendous in the red zone. I don't know what's happened in the past, but I know those are his strong suits. Those are things he does well. As a coach, you have to put him in a situation where he can be successful because he can make you successful. That's what we're doing.''

Just because he's big (6-3, 212 pounds) and physical over the middle doesn't mean Terrell will be stuck solely in the slot, a position he detests because he says it prevents him from being a playmaker.

"At times you'd like him singled up because of his size and his body,'' Drake said. "The offense lends him the opportunity to do a lot of different things.''

See, it was that idiot Shoop, who was lucky to get out of town without being tarred and feathered by angry Bears fans, who wouldn't play David.

I see good things for David this year, and if not then I will be forced to START to believe he MIGHT be a bust.

Jay Clemons, of DetroitLions.com, reports Detroit Lions rookie WR Roy Williams, a first-round draft choice, remains the team's only unsigned player. Mike O'Hara, of the Detroit News, reports Williams took part in the team's four-day rookie orientation, but cannot take part in training camp until he's signed.

Man, he's got to sign and get to camp.... He's my pick for Rookie of the Year dang it. I've got money... um, pride on the line here.

Man, it seems the Madden Cover Curse has trickled down onto Ray Lewis' teammates....

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens LB Peter Boulware (knee) is expected to be placed on the reserve physically unable to perform list. Ravens head coach Brian Billick said he still has expectations of having Boulware to play around 30 snaps per game as a situational pass rusher. "Can he be ready for the season if all he has done is rehab the entire preseason and not had any contact before the opener? That's something we're going to have to determine," Billick said.

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the status of Baltimore Ravens CB Chris McAlister, who has not reported to training camp due to protesting his current contract situation, is unknown. "It could last for a long time," said McAlister's agent, Mitch Frankel, when asked how long his client will miss camp. "There is no timetable." Ravens head coach Brian Billick said he was "very comfortable with the circumstances" involving McAlister and wouldn't comment on the situation again until he reports to camp.

And Lewis himself still has yet to suffer the fates of the curse. And if Jamal Lewis' case distracts him this season. And if McAlister and Boulware's injury carry over into the season....

Man, that Ravens game would scare me a heck of a lot less.

mgoblue101415 said:
Man, it seems the Madden Cover Curse has trickled down onto Ray Lewis' teammates....

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens LB Peter Boulware (knee) is expected to be placed on the reserve physically unable to perform list. Ravens head coach Brian Billick said he still has expectations of having Boulware to play around 30 snaps per game as a situational pass rusher. "Can he be ready for the season if all he has done is rehab the entire preseason and not had any contact before the opener? That's something we're going to have to determine," Billick said.

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the status of Baltimore Ravens CB Chris McAlister, who has not reported to training camp due to protesting his current contract situation, is unknown. "It could last for a long time," said McAlister's agent, Mitch Frankel, when asked how long his client will miss camp. "There is no timetable." Ravens head coach Brian Billick said he was "very comfortable with the circumstances" involving McAlister and wouldn't comment on the situation again until he reports to camp.

And Lewis himself still has yet to suffer the fates of the curse. And if Jamal Lewis' case distracts him this season. And if McAlister and Boulware's injury carry over into the season....

Man, that Ravens game would scare me a heck of a lot l
ess.

Usually the curse happens post Madden release. Lewis will break it!:D

RESIDENT BILLS TROLL REPORTING ON OUR TC

(Buff scares me the most, since Williams retirement)

Smart woman, that mgo:D

ALL THE BILLS ROOKS ARE SIGNED, IN CAMP, AND WORKING HARD

Here is your latest update on the BILLS who are ALL in camp and working hard. I've been listening to some great audio clips from Mike Mularkey.

This guy is NOOOO GreGGy. I'm REALLY liking his 'tude!!!! I think y'all who diss my beloved BILLS are going to be in for a little surprise this year. These guys are carrying a chip on their shoulder.

You remember that, don't you Patriot brethren???The kind when you get no respect???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... well, to be honest I'd much rather be sitting in my shoes as a BILLS fan with no one even LOOKING at our team seriously.

All the pressure is resting SQUARELY on YOUR team now. All the respect... all the EXPECTATIONS.

i was over on the bills board awhile ago and read mularkey "demoted" former 1st rd pick mike williams to 2nd team.

and wyo...

that "no respect" thing CAN be VERY motivational...

see rodney harrison's remarks after last years AFCCG.

you think mularkey's gonna use it a little this year???

Re: RESIDENT BILLS TROLL REPORTING ON OUR TC

wyobilzfan said:
Smart woman, that mgo:D

ALL THE BILLS ROOKS ARE SIGNED, IN CAMP, AND WORKING HARD

Here is your latest update on the BILLS who are ALL in camp and working hard. I've been listening to some great audio clips from Mike Mularkey.

This guy is NOOOO GreGGy. I'm REALLY liking his 'tude!!!! I think y'all who diss my beloved BILLS are going to be in for a little surprise this year. These guys are carrying a chip on their shoulder.

You remember that, don't you Patriot brethren???The kind when you get no respect???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... well, to be honest I'd much rather be sitting in my shoes as a BILLS fan with no one even LOOKING at our team seriously.

All the pressure is resting SQUARELY on YOUR team now. All the respect... all the EXPECTATIONS.

Well, the Bills might just miss the division by going far right. I love your Bills fans...predictiong lets see, 12-4, 13-3, 14-2. Hahahaha!!!:jester: :LOL: What is next, the Bills winning something?!?!?o:)

this guy has me wowing....

My inside sources tell me that Mularkey has serious ANTI-GreGG karma. THIS has me very intrigued.

First day of training camp and he demotes BIG Mike (#4 pick in his draft) to second string. WHOA, hold on boys we're gonna go for a RIDE with this guy. He knows how to get everybody's attention out of the gate:thumb:

And yep, stain, I think that's EXACTLY what he's going to do. He will use Harrison's speech and anything else he can find to get after these boys.

This guy is no dummy. He turned down the HC job that Marvin Lewis took with the Bungles (who I do think will improve significantly this year).

I listened to several Mularkey audios now. VERY savvy guy who I think will surprise people as a rookie HC. I doubt he's going to roll over easily.

It's hard for me to NOT get really excited because for the first time since MARV LEVY left, I think we might just have our hands on something special.

After the Williams debacle, I want to see how this guy manages a game, but if he's as cool on the field during a game as he's appeared throughout the entire off season, y'all better take notice. This ain't no WANNy or Williams.

stain, thanks for the tip on listening to Harrison's speech. I'm going to see if I can look it up.

I'm not going to set ANY unrealistic expectations, but I can sure see there's a new sheriff in town.

:D

Oh, and BIODEGRADABLE.....

I bet you didn't think your Patriots were going to win the Super Bowl after the BILLS throttled their butts on opening day last year either.

A year ago y'all were homers just like the rest of us are now.

Right now EVERYONE'S record is 0-0:dom:

Back