NFL Attendance Figures?

NFL Network

Reaction score
Hi guys I just wanted to know when you read the NFL box scores if the attendance # listed is based on actual attendance or paid attendance?

I'm asking b/c when I look at the figures I notice that a lot of the stadiums are listed as below 90% capacity and I was wondering if the tickets are being sold or are the tickets purchased and just not used.

I look at Washington in particular and I know last week I saw a game listed at just over 80% capacity but they boast about a 30 year sellout streak?

Also I noticed a couple of Patriot home games earlier this year at below 100% capacity.

Hi guys I just wanted to know when you read the NFL box scores if the attendance # listed is based on actual attendance or paid attendance?

I'm asking b/c when I look at the figures I notice that a lot of the stadiums are listed as below 90% capacity and I was wondering if the tickets are being sold or are the tickets purchased and just not used.

I look at Washington in particular and I know last week I saw a game listed at just over 80% capacity but they boast about a 30 year sellout streak?

Also I noticed a couple of Patriot home games earlier this year at below 100% capacity.

A sellout simply means that all tickets available for the event in question have been sold, but that doesn't mean that it's always going to be a capacity crowd.

I believe he's asking is the published attendance number represents sellout total capacity or an accurate head count.

Gillette Stadium is completely sold out for the season (and for the past 23 seasons). If they are listing attendance at less that 100%, then they are using the true head count that attended, not tickets sold.

I think apples and oranges are being mixed. A sellout refers to all the tickets being sold. Attendance is about how many people actually attend the game. They aren't the same thing, as a people might decide not to show up for a game even though they have tickets.

How else can you get tickets that are/were scalped? :coffee:

Purdy sure that it's how many tix were sold in the first place...

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I think apples and oranges are being mixed. A sellout refers to all the tickets being sold. Attendance is about how many people actually attend the game. They aren't the same thing, as a people might decide not to show up for a game even though they have tickets.

Well, I could see this possibility too...

Gillette Stadium is completely sold out for the season (and for the past 23 seasons).
This statistic becomes even more impressive knowing that Gillette Stadium is currently in its 15th season of existence.

This statistic becomes even more impressive knowing that Gillette Stadium is currently in its 15th season of existence.

Um, yeah.....The 23 seasons go back to old Foxboro Stadium.

No PSL licenses
No Public money, privately financed stadium

Also applies to the old Foxboro Stadium too

....since we're interested in factual accuracy....

No PSL licenses
No Public money, privately financed stadium

Also applies to the old Foxboro Stadium too

....since we're interested in factual accuracy....

As bad as he screwed up things with Goodell, Kraft did the right thing on this...being that he did this without screwing the taxpayers.

Kraft bought Foxboro Stadium prior to purchasing the team via auction I believe

Insignificant at the time, but ultimately saved the Patriots from moving to StL

Also, the 23 years includes when Orthwein still owned the team. He actually hired Parcells, which immediately spiked the season ticket sales and have been sold out ever since. The waiting list for Patriots season tickets is still miles long too.

Back