Nostalgic Music Thread

That Happened, and we all let it happen

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9G4jnaznUoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wdTujLHFsSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes I know it's not a great song or video but I am a sucker for all of the bad 80's music. This song came on the radio while I was playing GTA V and I just stopped what I was doing so I could listen to it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7MLOe8L35N4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/46766414" width="500" height="375" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Road-related songs

Song: King Of The Road
Artist: Roger Miller

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WrhAC0dFis0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Hit The Road, Jack
Artist: Ray Charles

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZKvhxapM5zo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: On The Road Again
Artist; Willie Nelson

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1TD_pSeNelU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Route 66
Artist: Paul Kuhn Quartet

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4FyPjqty5z0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: On The Road Again
Artist: Tom Rush

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U09RhIiA-Ts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, TIP, you are on it!

Here's the original Route 66 theme , with great intro video from the show itself:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zw1tiNGQ4wI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KM02WcvlKn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A rare example of "Butch" McCartney :wink:

Song: The 'In' Crowd
Artist: Ramsey Lewis

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rv3pT2JV66g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This song debuted in 1965, right after the British Invasion (it's a cover of a Dobie Gray song written in '64). Of course, it sounds nothing like anything the Beatles, Stones, or Who were doing in those days. Marvelous song, though.

The British Invasion brought us a lot of great groups like the Beatles, Stones, Animals, etc. It also brought us a few obscure groups, like these guys, who had (for that time period) a very controversial song:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yrEHDV1e460" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I found a Louis Prima version of Route 66 when I was doing the road-related songs last week, and then one song led to another...

Song: Just A Gigolo & I Ain't Got Nobody
Artist: Louis Prima

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O-a8kLtJSJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Night Train

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3kTcjXhGbxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Route 66

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/od_UYBX6xiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a real nice one IMO from back in that 50's era:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jhlzGv1meFk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Will Not Be Your Fool
Artist: David Bromberg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_ywRL7tlb9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I’ll wear the rings of Saturn for a ring around my little pinky

Very nice horn work throughout this song.

Wow, TIP, you are on it!

Here's the original Route 66 theme , with great intro video from the show itself:

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zw1tiNGQ4wI" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
I think those two guys should just out of the closet...ROFL

I think those two guys should just out of the closet...ROFL

I saw Martin Milner on a talk show a number of years ago, I remember he commented that he often brought his wife and kids along quite a bit out on the road when they were shooting the series.

Space Traveler: this is a real nice tune from a guy by the name of James Vincent. He wasn't too well known back in the 70's - but IMO he did some fine music:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YWuVBRvjC2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was at the Y the other night, and while wating for the zumba class to finish up so that we could have our yoga session (yes, I live in California), I got involved in a conversation about rock music in the LA area in the 60s.

One of the songs that came up was Incense and Peppermints. For some reason I immediately flashed to a different song.

Song: Pictures Of Matchstick Men
Artist: Status Quo

Song: Incense and Peppermints
Artist: Strawberry Alarm Clock

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VOk2T6Uweao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One or both of these may have been previously posted (if so, it won't be the first time I've committed that faux pas).

Last edited:
Ah, from the early 70's sometime as I recall - some sweet soul music from Shuggie Otis - "Strawberry Letter 23". His g/f friend wrote him love letters scented with strawberry perfume, thus the inspiration for the song:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iAPPAJ1sT8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Walk Between The Raindrops
Artist: Donald Fagen

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/c5LSRrAwUtA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A selection from the Steely Dan front-man's 1982 album The Nightfly. Pretty decent record, IMO.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_am1ydf8QRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of the great collaborations of the 70's:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4PKTZxXDX9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back