Nostalgic Music Thread

Here's a hint about the song title theme for this post:

TheMaskSmokin.jpg

Song: Smoke On The Water
Artist: Deep Purple

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zUwEIt9ez7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Smoke From A Distant Fire
Artist: Sanford Townsend Band

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wCWVuCCWqzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Smoking In The Boys Room
Artist: Mötley Crüe

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5oVBvxA0mm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And who can forget this post from last June?

Song: Who Knows Where The Time Goes
Artist: Fairport Convention (from the Unhalfbricking album)

The fabulous Sandy Denny, with exquisite accompaniment by Richard Thompson.

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/51ktWQVSs4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dedicated to the NE Patriots :dbanana:

Song: Who Knows Where The Time Goes
Artist: Fairport Convention (from the Unhalfbricking album)

The fabulous Sandy Denny, with exquisite accompaniment by Richard Thompson.

Tip...! You hit it out of the park, I had forgotten about this one from Fairport and Sandy Denny. Going to download it from iTunes this weekend sometime. Thanks buddy!

Tip...! You hit it out of the park, I had forgotten about this one from Fairport and Sandy Denny. Going to download it from iTunes this weekend sometime. Thanks buddy!

It's a constant struggle, but I have the occasional moments of lucidity. :D

You keep havin' those "moments" Tip!

Here's one from my favorite jazz group of all time - the Crusaders, doing Carol King's "So Far Away":

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lJHr7U5QiLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley
Artist: Robert Palmer

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a8M2bxoGbgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An awesome debut album, with Lowell George of Little Feat fame sitting in on this song.

1969- Motherlode - one hit wonders- but a very good one hit it was:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qhv2JUkOqJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Carry Me Back
Artist: The Rascals

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-tYOQ2WwOKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lots of big hits and great songs by this band, but I'll always pick a song with a great horn line ahead of almost all others.

Van Morrison - "Roo You" - great song, wonderful melody.

Some of the lyrics - "snowstorms on the way, gonna be stranded for a week" are very fitting for this winter going on out there right now:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OEty27_8XBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"All the Federales say, we could have had him any day, we only let him
slip away, out of kindness, I suppose."

1978 - EmmyLou doing "Pancho and Lefty":

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PRx5r32hsF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KWhMyOs0pCQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A masterpiece!

I was pleasantly surprised to find this one on YouTube - Brian Friel's "San Francisco Street Car Fire". Recorded back in the 70's, available on vinyl only. Here it is, with complete with authentic pops and scratches:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3GKgIKPJCEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There was music in the cafes at night and revolution in the air.
Tangled Up in Blue -Bob Dylan

Imagine a warm Summer Night en Rive Gauche

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1zFc7nIJnvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

Song: Where Have All The Flowers Gone?
Artist: Pete Seeger

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7pZa3KtkVpQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The man passes, but the legend lives on.

RIP Pete.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OLvk-qsKonQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another great Pete song, huge hit for PP&M:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HTvr79Oe5w8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Copperline
Artist: James Taylor

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WLjn3FSKohE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The studio version is very good, but this live version is as authentic as music gets.

Song: Prima Donna
Artist: Jan Akkerman

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zb40QAAuCvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jan Akkerman was the lead guitarist for the Dutch band Focus.

This song is from his excellent The Noise of Art album.

Back