Nostalgic Music Thread

Well, they arrived in NYC 50 years ago tomorrow, and played for the first time on Ed Sullivan the night of Feb 9th:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dwkve8s1dNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0DcV1UI1B6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The harbingers of a cultural tsunami.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FfJU_0HqiQQ" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

I loved this song as a kid, even though its ominous tale also gave me the creeps.

The harbingers of a cultural tsunami.

Well said Beagle - the greatest group ever, no one else is even close IMO.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4oG4OPV0Sck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qh9YJO5k4GY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Beatles influenced untold numbers of people, one of them was California folk singer Mary McCaslin - heres her beautiful version of "Things We Said Today"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CJW69RFXTgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ubOI9yY55JU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This song and its tale seemed strangely tame yet fascinating to me when compared to the violence and shocking events of the late 60's, when the song was released.

Ah, Beagle, your post triggered a long lost neuron deep inside somewhere regarding Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames - this was a decent hit for them back in '67 as I recall:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yuoXzn6O8ZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another gem from the latter part of the Fab 4's heyday:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-HNgIqKDC4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0yEItbal4ac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of their (his) best ever.

Agreed Beagle - plus he had (IMO) one of the best voices ever in R&R history.

Another of my fav's from them:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UdJxn5nNVJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can't help myself - one more :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/44YitKiVZ8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Going Up The Country
Artist: Canned Heat

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IYRgZWg0zXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Woodstock version. Extremely good sound quality considering the venue and the state of the art at the time.

I like that song Tip, but Alan Wilson always sounded like Kermit to me :D

Song: Driver's Seat
Artist: Sniff 'n' the Tears

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uIgW-4EnxO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Swing On A Star
Artist: Dave Von Ronk

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sy30Rs62f1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw Dave Von Ronk perform this song at Club Passim many moons ago (or maybe I didn't - my memory of that whole period is a pastiche of sounds/colors/thoughts). But anyway - Von Ronk was a folk music legend and he influenced a lot of his contemporaries.

This is Stevie Nix singing backstage to a "Wild Heart" demo tape - what an amazing talent she is:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HguL2bIri1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Little Jimmy Dickens
"May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up your nose"

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8xIn0pGeQDQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

I had the pleasure of seeing him at the opry last month, but he didn't sing.

Timeless Quicksilver song - and still so relevant today:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zBvjXhUSUpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back