Nostalgic Music Thread

Townes' sad passing made all of his soulful music instantly nostalgic.

Live at the old Quarter is one of his very best albums, btw.

For the sake of the song -

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mhdkgjxKepY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

Song: Broken Arrow
Artist: Robbie Robertson

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nsZYq-51Njg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This song is from his first solo album, which came out in 1987. But it never gets old for me.

Yea, Tip- Robbie Robertson, good artist, he's done some nice stuff over the years.

Here's one I love:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4KP9PNSUME4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZRK2o3EkOUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jan Hammer did some real nice stuff back in the late 70's or so- this is one of them - "Don't You Know", the extended version:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F7sBGBGDvhg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Someday Soon
Artist:Judy Collins

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Jn90y9H9S4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice guitar work on this, plus Judy's sweet vocals.

Song: Him
Artist: Rupert Holmes

I never get tired of that song.

He's also the same artist that did "Escape The Pina Colada" song

The little sparrow.

Love Parisian cafe music. And I simply adore the haunting pleading romantic and lyrical voice of this little legend.

I can image the sound drifting from the cafes and through the streets of montmartre on a hot summer night in the 1940's.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g0BhwCk0y3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

The Tucker Boys - another great tune from back then:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MUL68ZeclcA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a couple of weeks late. April 25th, Anzac day "celebrates " the 1915 slaughter of Australian and New Zealand troupes at Galipoli. Next Spring is 100 Years.

In 1971 Scotsman Eric Bogle wrote perhaps the most powerful anti-war song ever.

Coverd here by the Pogues:

"And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda", No lie, I tear up every single time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cZqN1glz4JY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BostonTim

Love the Pogues, though the song of theirs that fires me up the most is Thousands are Sailing (and I'm not even Irish)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gc1G7aCpSsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thinking of the Tuckers and southern rock from the 70's reminded me of this wonderful and beautiful song from Dickey Betts & Great Southern:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7ZmwULnL62g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Let It Rain
Artist: Eric Clapton

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y86kDFaJ2h4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From his first solo album. Written by Clapton and Delaney and Bonnie.

Song: Broken Arrow
Artist: Robbie Robertson

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nsZYq-51Njg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This song is from his first solo album, which came out in 1987. But it never gets old for me.

Never gets old for me either, he's one of my favorites... great performer.

I got some time to myself, some cold Rolling Rock and Elvis Aloha from Hawaii on the Tv.

Eric Clapton - doing a super soft, beautiful, blues number:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9xh56fI_HSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've enjoyed listening to some of the songs that have been posted. I myself was never quite onboard with groups like the Stones or Aerosmith (certainly others too, but this is just a sample) when they began but grew to like them as time passed. It probably helped that Paul's taste in music was much more diverse than mine and thus we listened to so much more than what I had limited myself to in 'my younger days'. And, like the topic of this thread - nostalgia - that added to our enjoyment. Now listening to the eclectic mix that we enjoyed brings back good memories.

Gina

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MRHN7nUg26M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just...beautiful.

Same title, different song.

Title: Heartbreaker
Artist: Rolling Stones

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1FDlcwU-uZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Artist: Pat Benatar

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vy-QmgdUVTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Artist: Grand Funk Railroad

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ieHkKs0ewLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Artist: Led Zeppellin

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hhS6isyG2gk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All four of these songs feature some really fine guitar work. Enjoy.

One of the great hippie bands of all time- "It's a Beautiful Day" - they did a number of great tunes, "Hot Summer Day" is one of them:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vG5mZJzFRQE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PS - Gina, glad you like the tunes!

Back