Nostalgic Music Thread

The late sixties and early seventies were strange and interesting times. Back then, I was a liberal with a deeply embedded sense of duty. I was in Vietnam from mid 67 to May 69. Working the war and watching the anti war movement.

When I returned home I quietly harbored resentment to those who demeaned and disparaged those who served and even those who died. At the same time, I was beginning to see that the war at best was ill-advised and at worst, well...

I thought that the ant-war movement was a wild mix of the misguided, the opportunistic and the fiercely committed and I found it hard to tell who was who. I learned to try hard not to judge.

The antiwar music genre ran from awful to brilliant as did the performences thereof.

The late, great Bobby Bobby Darin had a big hit with Tim Hardin's "If I Were a Carpenter". Hardin's Tragic life links directly to the war. He took up heroin as a US Marine (Semper Fi, Taltos), fought it all his short life and died of an OD at 39. Bobby reciprocated the songwriting favor by penning "Simple Song of Freedom" which was first recorded by Tim Hardin, becoming Tim's biggest vocal hit.

Bobby however covered himself on one magic night at a folk concert (at the point in time where his career was trending from Vegas showman to committed anti-war folky) where he showed up in full tux on a spotlit stage and delivered what I believe to be the (certainly one of the) greatest antiwar performances ever. The still intensity and patriotism in this genuinely simple song moves me every time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sA3Cc5-Tqfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

The late sixties and early seventies were strange and interesting times. Back then, I was a liberal with a deeply embedded sense of duty. I was in Vietnam from mid 67 to May 69. Working the war and watching the anti war movement.

When I returned home I quietly harbored resentment to those who demeaned and disparaged those who served and even those who died. At the same time, I was beginning to see that the war at best was ill-advised and at worst, well...

I thought that the ant-war movement was a wild mix of the misguided, the opportunistic and the fiercely committed and I found it hard to tell who was who. I learned to try hard not to judge.

The antiwar music genre ran from awful to brilliant as did the performences thereof.

The late, great Bobby Bobby Darin had a big hit with Tim Hardin's "If I Were a Carpenter". Hardin's Tragic life links directly to the war. He took up heroin as a US Marine (Semper Fi, Taltos), fought it all his short life and died of an OD at 39. Bobby reciprocated the songwriting favor by penning "Simple Song of Freedom" which was first recorded by Tim Hardin, becoming Tim's biggest vocal hit.

Bobby however covered himself on one magic night at a folk concert (at the point in time where his career was trending from Vegas showman to committed anti-war folky) where he showed up in full tux on a spotlit stage and delivered what I believe to be the (certainly one of the) greatest antiwar performances ever. The still intensity and patriotism in this genuinely simple song moves me every time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sA3Cc5-Tqfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

Tim,
Just finished listening to one of the PBS music specials where this song by Bobby Darin was included as were many of the anti-war songs. I remember when I first heard him sing it back then and being so surprised because it was just so different from what we were used to hearing him sing. It moves me now just as much as it did then. Not sure why I don't recall Tim Hardin's recording of this song nor recall his tragic life.
We are of the same generation - I don't blame you for being resentful for the way all who served in Vietnam were treated when they returned home. This has always appalled and disgusted me. One either got drafted or enlisted or went to college or maybe was exempt (or other as we know too). We were the sons and daughters of those who served in WWII, many being 1st and 2nd generation Americans and were brought up to believe that we needed to appreciate what we have here and that we had a civic duty - can't really think of the right words to say to explain what I mean.

It really was an unusual time.

Gina

One from the late 60's, pretty forgotten about now - check Jill's amazing smile at the very end:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A0WvXpyufT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Before he was in the E Street Band with Bruce Springsteen, Nils Lofgren had a band called Grin. They put out some good tunes in the early & mid 70's like this one:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NJlqNg3x0vU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And one more superb tune from Nils - "White Lies"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nfmtIGZtAD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Treat Her Like A Lady
Artist: Cornelius Brothers And Sister Rose

Here's a little something related to current events.

Last edited:
And here's something from long long ago

Loosiana's swamp pop hero - just reeks of 1950's unrequited teenage love:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9dYWJjbfiIs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

One of my favorite guitar solos of all time. And it's from a funk band. :huh:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JOKn33-q4Ao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW Carlos Santana does a killer version of this. Gov't Mule too. Lili Haydn does a pretty interesting version on the violin.

This really isn't what I think of as my music but I LIKE the Eurytmics

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qeMFqkcPYcg?list=RDqeMFqkcPYcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Tequila
Artist: The Champs

Song: Margaritaville
Artist: Jimmy Buffet

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CICf8xoLyG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song: Tequila Sunrise
Artist: The Eagles

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kKLucjUmJN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mrs-3f0WQCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Takes me back to some long bus trips when I was in high school. One of our favorites to sing along to at the back of the bus, 1 AM, when everyone else is trying to sleep :D

Late 50's here for this one by Billy Grammar - I was around 9 or 10 when it was a big hit on the radio:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vezeg093n2E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I remember hearing this one a lot on WBZ in the early 60's sometime:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J6Uq5VHGuPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vaj6YGOLskQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Take it away, Dino :dbanana:

Here's one from the early 60's sometime- Pete Drake and his talking steel guitar. I remember hearing it on WBZ AM riding to school in the morning on the bus. Carl DeSuze was the DJ- anyone remember that name?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cm77Xck34GE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's one from the early 60's sometime- Pete Drake and his talking steel guitar. I remember hearing it on WBZ AM riding to school in the morning on the bus. Carl DeSuze was the DJ- anyone remember that name?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cm77Xck34GE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Remember Carl DeSuze ? Absolutely ! We listened to 'BZ all the time - and definitely every morning while having breakfast.

Gina

Remember Carl DeSuze ? Absolutely ! We listened to 'BZ all the time - and definitely every morning while having breakfast.

Gina

All right Gina! Then the names Dave Maynard, Jay Dunn, Jefferson Kaye, and Bruce Bradley should ring a bell too!

Always liked these guys a lot - Poco. This is them live in 2004 doing "Indian Summer" which was released back in '77"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4bKzPxP1Po8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back