off season moves? draft talk anyone?

runnerone

Reaction score
Ok so with the bitter end of this '05 campaign, where does this team look to improve next yr?
Obviously old at LB and not very deep, but if they lose both Troy Brown and David Givens, there will be a glaring need at wide out.

I like Maurice Stovall from ND. I've watched him this season, and was very impressed.
The guy looks like Terrell Owens, big strong and fast, with the work ethic and attitude of Dan Graham.

With Charlie Weiss replacing Nick Saban as the new underground railroad for the Pats, I think we could have an inside track on him.

Any other hopefuls coming into the draft?

eeek

Holy crap....where the hell have you been?

Anyways, the off-season is just getting started with the Senior Bowl this week. Mike Reiss in the Boston Globe has this little bit of info:

As of today, the Patriots possess nine selections in the 2006 NFL Draft. The draft will be held on April 29 and 30.

The Patriots pick 21st in the first round and then will rotate between 20-21-22 in ensuing rounds. The team also has additional selections via trades.

A look at the picks:

Round 1 -- 21st, assigned selection
Round 2 -- 20th, assigned selection
Round 3 -- 11th, from Baltimore*
Round 3 -- 22nd, assigned selection
Round 4 -- 9th, from Detroit**
Round 4 -- 21st, assigned selection
Round 5 -- 6/7th, from Oakland***
Round 5 -- 20th, traded to Browns for WR Andre' Davis
Round 6 -- 22nd, assigned selection
Round 7 -- 21st, assigned selection

* The Patriots' first 2006 third-round pick (the 11th selection of the round) was acquired from the Baltimore Ravens on April 23, 2005 along with a 2005 third-round pick (84 overall -- CB Ellis Hobbs) and a 2005 sixth-round pick (195 overall -- Traded to Green Bay) in exchange for a 2005 second-round pick (64 overall -- T Adam Terry).

** The Patriots' first 2006 fourth-round pick (the ninth selection of the round) was acquired from the Detroit Lions on April 24, 2005 in exchange for a 2005 fifth-round pick (145 overall -- QB Dan Orlovsky) and a 2005 sixth-round pick (206 overall -- DE Jonathan Goddard).

*** The Patriots' first 2006 fifth-round pick (the sixth or seventh selection of the round, depending on a coin flip) was acquired from the Oakland Raiders on April 24, 2005 along with a 2005 seventh-round pick (230 overall -- QB Matt Cassel) in exchange for a 2005 sixth-round pick (175 overall -- DT Anttaj Hawthorne).

There is also the possibility the Patriots could receive additional compensatory choices, which have yet to be determined.

Thanks for the info. I have been on hiatus from the internet all together. I had a nasty worm that eventually led to the end of my hard drive, and much anxiety about getting back online at all. But here I am, and had to check in.
Thanks for the shout out Bid, runner.

runnerone said:
Thanks for the info. I have been on hiatus from the internet all together. I had a nasty worm that eventually led to the end of my hard drive, and much anxiety about getting back online at all. But here I am, and had to check in.
Thanks for the shout out Bid, runner.

Glad you're back online. Don't be a stranger now.

Great to see you back, R1.

WR is a glaring need this year. The only two under contract are Branch and Johnson, and I would not be too surprised to see them cut Johnson.

I wish I knew more about college players. :(

another welcome back to R1.

I'd love to talk about the draft, but there is a long way to go before there is much decent free info available and unless you watch a ton of college ball there is no great way to know whether the guys you like are really any good until you see them in all-star games and they get tested at the combine, etc.

FWIW:

* I am intrigued with LenDale White and how he would fit in our backfield. I'm hoping his combine results drop him a bit, but I see him as a pure NFL physical runner with an uncanny nose for the endzone and an upfield style.

* There are a number of good OT prospects this year, from what I understand. We could use at least one.

* I have a sneaking suspicion that BB might realize that he needs a pass rusher and might go for an athlete that otherwise may not fit our mold if he gets a shot at a good one.

Look at Shawne Merriman and DeMarcus Ware as examples of the kind of guys I mean. Instant impact rushers that can gradually work their way into the lineup on 1st and 2nd down and replace, say, Willie in a year or two.

* There are a bunch of good TEs coming out this year and I'm petrified we will draft another one.

* I suppose that BB might be afraid that Rodney can't go next year and we absolutely need a go-to guy back there. Some great safeties can be found at a lower draft position.

* We need depth on the defensive line because I think Hill is a bust and they get few productive snaps out of Klecko. We all know BB loves his DLs so that is a possibility with a high pick.

Well, for those out of the college loop...

This Sat is the Senior Bowl.

Sure, it's a pretty vanilla game but at least it will get you familiar with some of the names as well as a little bit of the pros and cons about them. Course, coming from those so-called "experts" you have to take it with a grain of salt. ;)

But hey... You hardly heard about some Arkansas QB at all during the season. Then during Senior Bowl week ( yes, you can watch reports on practices all week between the NFL Network and some of the college stations ) last year everyone started talking about this AK QB who was playing WR. How great he looked. The spectacular plays he was making. The Senior Bowl panned out well for Matt Jones. ;)

One guy I really do like is Blackmon. Course, I'd convert him back to CB. He could possibly drop to the Pats in the 3rd round. :shrug:

The couple DBs I really like aren't in the Senior Bowl :( . Well, I do like Griffin but I don't think the Pats will have a shot at him.

Yeah, okay, go ahead and say it... I'm a homer. But.... I'm telling you.... Jason Avant. I mean, the guy looked good playing opposite Edwards but last year he took his game to next level. The guy made some real Edwardsesque catches. You know, the ones that instead of applauding you just sit there with your jaw hanging down, staring in awe. Those kind of catches.

runnerone said:
Ok so with the bitter end of this '05 campaign, where does this team look to improve next yr?
Obviously old at LB and not very deep, but if they lose both Troy Brown and David Givens, there will be a glaring need at wide out.

I like Maurice Stovall from ND. I've watched him this season, and was very impressed.
The guy looks like Terrell Owens, big strong and fast, with the work ethic and attitude of Dan Graham.

With Charlie Weiss replacing Nick Saban as the new underground railroad for the Pats, I think we could have an inside track on him.

Any other hopefuls coming into the draft?

Stovall reminded me of Randy Moss - seemed he would take plays off every now and then.

runnerone said:

More on Stovall from Foxsports.com:

http://blogs.foxsports.com/adamschein
In our opinion, Notre Dame wide receiver Maurice Stovall has a great chance to make an instant impact in the NFL. As Stovall admitted on Friday, playing for Charlie Weis has him ahead of other receivers in this draft. Stovall said NFL teams have told him that his one year drinking the Weis' kool-aid has put him mentally ahead of the class of receivers.

Stovall reports he had long and indepth meetings with Denver and Tampa Bay.

Stovall is big, strong, athletic, and has great hands. The team that picks him in round 2 is getting a talent and worker with major upside.

Back