Offseason Sox/Yanks Battle Rages on!

I am sorry if I am not jumping on board this whole Manny and Nomar for A-Rod deal but it is sounding like an UNBELIEVABLY LAME deal for the Sox. This article is the first one to hint at the terms. The Red Sox might actually trade both Manny, Nomar and some other talent all in exchange for A-Rod. What a f-king mess! This might just go down as the worst trade in history.

Definitely NOT on board for this one....

In exchange for Garciaparra, the Dodgers are prepared to give up the club’s minor league pitcher of the year, Greg Miller. If you don’t think that seems like much, look up Prior, Mark, and Penny, Brad, to see what those young studs did recently.

Trouble is, Miller might be headed to the Rangers as part of the compensation for A-Rod. Huh? So the Red Sox would be dealing Nomar for nothing, and giving even more to the Rangers for Rodriguez. And here we thought ridding them of one of the worst contracts in baseball history was enough.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/12_16_03/

:banghead:

Hopefully the Red Sox FO are not giving Nomar away for nothing.
Maybe it is so but it smacks of unrealistic overpayment to me.

Ballbustah said:
Hopefully the Red Sox FO are not giving Nomar away for nothing.
Maybe it is so but it smacks of unrealistic overpayment to me.

The latest rumour, heard on WEEI from New York papers, is Nomar to the White Sox for Maglio Ordonez (sp?) and pitching prospects. The prospects go to the Rangers and Ordonez stays with the Sox.

I think this is the article that WEEI has been referring to.

Chicago -- The historic deal that would send reigning MVP Alex Rodriguez to Boston for Manny Ramirez picked up a Chicago angle Tuesday night.

The Chicago Tribune reported that the White Sox have entered the discussions and are mulling offers for Magglio Ordonez in what would become a three- or four-team deal.

The proposed deal would send Ramirez to Texas, Rodriguez to Boston and shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to Los Angeles. The Dodgers then would ship a package of pitchers to Chicago and the White Sox would send Ordonez to Boston.

The Tribune reported the Sox were asking for three pitchers from the Dodgers -- lefty Odalis Perez, ace reliever Guillermo Mota and top-notch prospect Greg Miller. It's also possible Boston would send reliever Scott Williamson to Chicago in the deal.

Sox general manager Ken Williams, while declining to directly address the proposed trade, said: "Throughout the winter meetings, a lot of ideas are exchanged. Some take on more of a life than they deserve and some of them are deserved."

Williams has maintained all along that he would need to be overwhelmed to trade Ordonez, a four-time All-Star.

"I think there's a perception that we are shopping our players," Williams said Sunday. "I'm not shopping any of these guys. I'm listening to overtures. And there is a distinct difference.

In a sign that the key component of the deal is close to fruition, Rodriguez, agent Scott Boras and Boston general manager Theo Epstein met with union official Gene Orza on Tuesday in New York to discuss the possible restructuring of the remainder of Rodriguez's 10-year, $252 million contract.

"For there to be a restructuring," Orza told the Boston Globe, "there has to be some added [monetary] value to the player."

Here's a slightly different take on it from Newsday (this is what WEEI is running with, not the above) that does not involve the Dodgers:

The Red Sox moved a gigantic step closer to finishing the long-awaited trade for superstar Alex Rodriguez when they agreed yesterday to send shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the White Sox for outfielder Magglio Ordoñez, contingent upon completion of the Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez megadeal, National League sources told Newsday yesterday.

The stunning agreement with Chicago potentially opens the Red Sox's shortstop position for Rodriguez, the 2003 American League MVP, and sets the table for Boston's greatest offseason ever. The Red Sox's probable double blockbuster would be a major coup for the historic and ill-fated franchise as it tries to break its 85-year championship jinx and the Yankees' stranglehold on the intense AL East.

:
:

The Garciaparra-Ordoñez deal makes sense for all parties involved but shocked the Dodgers, who were hoping to land either player to fortify their offense. Word of the deal also was said to have stunned Garciaparra, a California resident hoping to go to the Dodgers or Angels. Garciaparra does not have a no-trade clause and can do nothing to prevent the deal.

Boston will send reliever Scott Williamson along with Garciaparra to Chicago and the White Sox will send Boston two pitching prospects, provided the Rodriguez-Ramirez deal is completed. Boston probably will send some young pitchers to Texas along with Ramirez to sweeten the deal.

The White Sox had been shopping Ordoñez, whom Chicago believed it would have no chance to re-sign when he becomes a free agent after this year.

WEEI just interviewed a sports reporter from Chicago. The reporter felt that Nomar would eventually be traded from Chicago to a west coast team.

The Nomar/Ordonez deal would make sense.

Similar offensive numbers, similar salary, both players in the last year of the contract.

If that's how the deal goes down, I'll be ecstatic. Manny and Nomar for ARod and Ordonez? The team improves significantly on defense; very likely improves on offense; and gets rid of Manny's attitude.

Now if only we could get a top of the line starter and relief pitcher....

Pinch me.

Nomar to Chicago for Mags?

Manny to Texas for A-Rod?

Hell Yeah!!

With those deals, we don't lose a step on offense and our defense would be WAYYYYY better. Not to mention A-Rod is a leader, something Manny will never be and something that Nomar (God bless him) chooses to shy away from.

I hope that if these deals happen, that Nomar will at least be able to then be moved to a west coast team from Chicago, as he's always wanted.

pookie said:
Nomar to Chicago for Mags?

Manny to Texas for A-Rod?

Hell Yeah!!

Now that's a deal I can get behind. I haven't liked the idea of parting with Nomar (Manny I have wanted to part with for some time) but this trade does make good financial and baseball sense. I would be very excited about the prospect of Ordonez AND A-Rod. That would be a coup.

Still, part of me is sad to see Nomar go. His heart has always been with the Sox and we owe a lot to him. Before he came along the Sox were in a downward spiral. Nomar brought some excitement back and was a player you could support. I will miss him.

NoRespect said:
Still, part of me is sad to see Nomar go. His heart has always been with the Sox and we owe a lot to him. Before he came along the Sox were in a downward spiral. Nomar brought some excitement back and was a player you could support. I will miss him.

I couldn't agree with you more. It'll be a sad day if Nomar leaves the Red Sox. I genuinely hope that if he does leave, it's amicably and he gets to play some place where he'll be very happy (I also hope it's ultimately a National League team :) ).

I just heard the stats of both Maglio Ordonez and A-Rod in their Fenway appearances over the last few years. I remember that Ordonez is hitting .421 in 38 plate appearances with solid power numbers, but the 25 million dollar man is only hitting about .120 something over a similar number of at bats.

Granted, that is a small sampling but puts a little different perspective on Ordonez at least.

I have no reason to fear that A-Rod would not hit at Fenway.

pookie said:
I couldn't agree with you more. It'll be a sad day if Nomar leaves the Red Sox. I genuinely hope that if he does leave, it's amicably and he gets to play some place where he'll be very happy (I also hope it's ultimately a National League team :) ).

I hope it's an AL team. I'm a sucker for big events, and Nomar's return would be about as big as it gets. Probably bigger than Tuna Bowl I, TBII, and Drew's return combined.

I'm sure we're all verklempt over the idea of trading Nomar. It will be very interesting to see how he handles his departure. It's the rare athlete who can resist the urge to take potshots at his former team. If Nomar is classy and gracious (as I fully expect him to be) on his way out, RSN will always love him.

If he pulls a Milloy, we'll turn on him faster than he can tug on his batting glove.

Seems like the players Union threw a monkey wrench into the works. They rejected the Red Sox contract offer to A-Rod.

This sucks. The union is saying that a contract can only be restructured if it benefits the player. Apparently the only way restructuring can "benefit" a player is if it means more money. The only way for A-Rod to get out of jail free is to restructure the contract.

Everyone needs to remember....this is the Red Sox and history has shown that if something could possibly go wrong for them it will. This team has until 6:00 tomorrow to finalize the AROD deal, or face a season with a pissed off Nomar, a Ramirez that cares less than ever, and a fanbase in complete shock.

I can't understand how MLB can give 2 teams a deadline for a trade happening in the offseason like this? If anyone could explain it to me I'd be quite thankful!

bighit36 said:
Everyone needs to remember....this is the Red Sox and history has shown that if something could possibly go wrong for them it will. This team has until 6:00 tomorrow to finalize the AROD deal, or face a season with a pissed off Nomar, a Ramirez that cares less than ever, and a fanbase in complete shock.

I can't understand how MLB can give 2 teams a deadline for a trade happening in the offseason like this? If anyone could explain it to me I'd be quite thankful!

It's pretty sad when the player's union nixes a trade that the player and both teams want. What a joke. You're right bighit, if this falls through, we're looking at an ugly mess in redsox nation.

I guess we have til 5PM today to rectify the deal.

I have heard reports that the Nomar for Odoniez deal is dead.

I have also heard that the MLB Commish might push the Manny/ AROD deal into a prolonged drawn out legal battle by trying to circumvent the Players Assoc.

The deadline came. Talks are called off. The deal is dead.......... for now.

Did any of you guys see that the Associate General Counsel of the MLB Players Association, Eugene Orza, is a long time Yankee fan? This is curious.

Has anybody yet termed the defunct proposed deal as A-Rod for A-Hole?

If not, I want credit. I wish I thought of it earlier, but it may yet come to pass.

Back