Ok do leg braces really take away mobility in an athlete?

HarpoonIPA

ハープーンIPA &#1249
Reaction score
I have never walked nor run so I can’t answer my question but after watching Pete Carroll’s USC Trojans offensive line, with what looked to be all of them wearing knee braces why don’t more players wear them? I mean the days of Forrest Gump leg brace’s have been long gone. And new lightweight brace’s are the norm, so what gives? If Mayo had the Brady brace on, I don’t believe he would have had this MCL sprain.

I have never walked nor run so I can’t answer my question but after watching Pete Carroll’s USC Trojans offensive line, with what looked to be all of them wearing knee braces why don’t more players wear them? I mean the days of Forrest Gump leg brace’s have been long gone. And new lightweight brace’s are the norm, so what gives? If Mayo had the Brady brace on, I don’t believe he would have had this MCL sprain.

Some players just dont like it, they feel it impedes them in some way. How much it takes away, I am not sure, but i am sure it can feel weird and not let you go at 100 percent. I just cannot see a guy wearing one unless he had an injury.

They do help but a down side is the give a false sense of security, just like pain killers mask an injury, just because the pain is taken away during physical activity doesnt mean the injury is healing

Some players just dont like it, they feel it impedes them in some way. How much it takes away, I am not sure, but i am sure it can feel weird and not let you go at 100 percent. I just cannot see a guy wearing one unless he had an injury.

But I wonder if guys wore them if there would be less injuries?

But I wonder if guys wore them there would be less injuries?

i think that goes without saying. I tend to think that players dont like wearing a lot of stuff though, even if its for their own good. I think they wear as less as possible. I know I heard brady hated the idea of wearing the brace, but yeah no doubt, it would stop injuries. They design things to keep certain injuries for happening, I wonder why the knees are so exposed most of the time. A knee pad does nothing.

i think that goes without saying. I tend to think that players dont like wearing a lot of stuff though, even if its for their own good. I think they wear as less as possible. I know I heard brady hated the idea of wearing the brace, but yeah no doubt, it would stop injuries. They design things to keep certain injuries for happening, I wonder why the knees are so exposed most of the time. A knee pad does nothing.
any padding offering decent protection to the knee would hinder movement way to much, ankles, thighs elbows etc you can live with but if you need to run fast the knee brace is too restrictive

Wow what if he was, you would feel bad? I am thinking he meant with a brace on. Although I could be wrong.
Why would I feel bad for asking? I wasn't joking - I can't see him, and I'm curious. It isn't like he's sitting there in a wheelchair and I'm saying: "What, can't walk?!?!? Huh?!?!?! What'r you, RETARDED?!?!!?"

I presume if that is the case that he's physically and not likely mentally or emotionally handicapped. I've he's hung out here for long, I've gotta assume he's got a thick skin either way.

Were you born a parapalegic? Just asking - this isn't something I hear everyday.

I was born with Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita they don’t know what caused it but theory it could possibly be from the Poliovirus but they really don’t know.

Wow what if he was, you would feel bad? I am thinking he meant with a brace on. Although I could be wrong.

Why would I feel bad for asking? I wasn't joking - I can't see him, and I'm curious. It isn't like he's sitting there in a wheelchair and I'm saying: "What, can't walk?!?!? Huh?!?!?! What'r you, RETARDED?!?!!?"

I presume if that is the case that he's physically and not likely mentally or emotionally handicapped. I've he's hung out here for long, I've gotta assume he's got a thick skin either way.

There is no problem asking questions, I’ve been disabled my whole life it’s my norm:Lwelcome::thumb:

I was joking as well.....calm down people, its ok.

I was born with Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita they don’t know what caused it but theory it could possibly be from the Poliovirus but they really don’t know.

Polio? I thought that was almost a thing of the past, was it a different kind of type?

Polio? I thought that was almost a thing of the past, was it a different kind of type?

I’m almost 44 years old, I met many kids with Polio back in the 70’s and early 80’s believe it or not. And I don’t have Polio but Arthrogryposis which could be it’s ugly offspring.

I’m almost 44 years old, I met many kids with Polio back in the 70’s and early 80’s believe it or not. And I don’t have Polio but Arthrogryposis which could be it’s ugly offspring.

Oh ok, I see what you mean, I just read the word polio so I went with what I knew.:p I'm sorry to hear that, do you go to treatment or it pretty much how it is and there is nothing that can bring it back.

Oh ok, I see what you mean, I just read the word polio so I went with what I knew.:p I'm sorry to hear that, do you go to treatment or it pretty much how it is and there is nothing that can bring it back.

The only parts of my Body that are effected are my 4 limbs they just never developed. And no I don’t have treatments because when I was a kid it never helped so I say why go through that now

Interesting. In a kind of morbid way, I guess, but still interesting. I've never heard of that one.

I used to mow the lawn for an elderly neighbor of mine who had polio as a kid, and I was wondering your age and if that might be it, but since you said "never" I was betting with a birth defect of some kind instead.

Well, not actually betting, but you know. :toast:

Oh, and midgar - I wasn't mad by any stretch, I just get frustrated at people treating handicapped people like they're somehow mentally deficient and should be treated with kid gloves. One of my closest childhood friends growing up had a prosthetic leg below the knee and both arms shriveled. She played on my soccer teams early on (she once accidentally kicked the leg off - it went flying!), and had a wicked sharp wit. She'd shred people who treated her like she was dense because of her physical deformities.

The only parts of my Body that are effected are my 4 limbs they just never developed. And no I don’t have treatments because when I was a kid it never helped so I say why go through that now

ah, okay,
I'LL SPEAK LOUDLY THEN TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN HEAR ME. :dom:

Back