Okay, now I want a top 5 pick for Cassel

I just think EVERY position comes back to their value system and how high they rate a player.

I agree about how well they've made out with Light salary wise. But he's not a HOF caliber LT.

And I believe if they ever did land the 5th overall there's a 95% chance they flip it further down and a future pick. That's how they typically work.

But if BB is truly enamored with a player, any player, I could see him pulling the trigger.

If he felt Curry was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor would he use #5 on him?

Yup!

But the pats and Bill have always thought they can get value out of lower picks and not blow the wad on one player who may not even turn out to be anything, its just not how they have done things. The pats do not need to build a team around a player at this point, they are way beyond that.

I agree that's how they usually operate.

They also have FAR fewer holes to fill. So logic would dictate selection of higher graded prospects to fill those very few roster spaces instead of just making their 9 selections as slotted and hope a few stick.

When you need to rebuild a team (Detroit) is when you want all those picks. When you are maintaining an elite team with not alot of spots to be won I would think you'd want fewer, yet higher, picks.

They also have FAR fewer holes to fill. So logic would dictate selection of higher graded prospects to fill those very few roster spaces instead of just making their 9 selections as slotted and hope a few stick.

When you need to rebuild a team (Detroit) is when you want all those picks. When you are maintaining an elite team with not alot of spots to be won I would think you'd want fewer, yet higher, picks.

I honestly hate high picks, especially now. Too much money, but too much of an unknown. Grabbing top 5 players and giving them stupid money is how teams get in trouble. The Matt Ryan thing worked but 40 players after that will not.

Oh I agree strongly with that.

But I also believe strongly in BB's evaluation system.

When was the last first round bust he's had? Some may say Pizza-Paddles, but even he has played decent. Just not up to most folk's expectations with all the physical talent dripping off of him.

BB would make high picks work. This wouldn't be any Oakland scenario as hawg pointed out. If he didn't truly think the player was valued at that pick he'd trade out.

The Patriots have never liked top picks. Take last year for example. They had their sights set on Mayo, but they knew he wouldn't be taken that high with the 7th pick. You trade down, draft him, and you don't have to pay him as much. Genius move by Pioli and BB.

I think even if they got a top 5 pick for Cassel, they would trade it right down for a boatload of picks, unless they really have their sights set on a Aaron Curry or Everette Brown (just to throw a few names out there)

Is NE 'not' in rebuilding mode? 14 rookies stuck under contract between the reserve lists, roster, and Practice Squad by the time the season ended. That sounds like a rebuilding program. I could see the Pats drafting 7-9 players and signing as many more UDFA kids, then keeping or bringing back most if not all over the course of the season just because they are trying to re-tool for the next decade of dominance. As you so correctly point out, just about every position can be upgraded...I'd say QB, NT, Slot WR, Deep threat WR, and both starting DE slots would be tough to upgrade. WILB and SS are still in the re-tooling mode and worth keeping. An argument can be made for Adalius, but I'd also point out his age and recent injury recovery time would be negative factors to weigh. There is some good talent running deep into this draft with kids projected to be UDFA whom I'd be very excited to see signing with NE. I'd be happy with a top five now because I've identified at least three prospects whom I'd consider elite - I don't expect that to happen, but I now have a better sense of how I'd approach the draft if it did.

And that was the gist of what I was saying. BB identifying "elite" caliber prospects and going for what he thought fit.

Probable? Doubtful. Unlikely? Yes. Out of the realm of possibility? No.

Box, you had Monroe rated right at the top of the class, didn't you? Do you think BB would pull the trigger on him?

I say it would significantly fortify both tackle spots, so the cost may not be as bad as some think.

Is NE 'not' in rebuilding mode? 14 rookies stuck under contract between the reserve lists, roster, and Practice Squad by the time the season ended. That sounds like a rebuilding program. I could see the Pats drafting 7-9 players and signing as many more UDFA kids, then keeping or bringing back most if not all over the course of the season just because they are trying to re-tool for the next decade of dominance. As you so correctly point out, just about every position can be upgraded...I'd say QB, NT, Slot WR, Deep threat WR, and both starting DE slots would be tough to upgrade. WILB and SS are still in the re-tooling mode and worth keeping. An argument can be made for Adalius, but I'd also point out his age and recent injury recovery time would be negative factors to weigh. There is some good talent running deep into this draft with kids projected to be UDFA whom I'd be very excited to see signing with NE. I'd be happy with a top five now because I've identified at least three prospects whom I'd consider elite - I don't expect that to happen, but I now have a better sense of how I'd approach the draft if it did.

No the pats are not rebuilding. The lions are rebuilding, the chiefs are rebuilding, the pats are not rebuilding. But, when did you touch on drafting a olineman in the top 5 of the draft which is what we were discussing. What is your feeling on them doing that or if they would. Funny thing though, I did see 1 mock that had the pats taking a center in the first round, I thought that was a little bold.

Box, you had Monroe rated right at the top of the class, didn't you? Do you think BB would pull the trigger on him?

I say it would significantly fortify both tackle spots, so the cost may not be as bad as some think.
From all I've read and the little I've seen, I'd rate Monroe and J. Smith about even at the moment, with Smith having a higher ceiling, and a lower floor. To go into deep fantasy mode: If BB were to agree to a trade that landed a top 5 pick, I'd rank the prospects: J. Smith, Crabtree, Curry, Monroe as far as my preference. I certainly don't expect any of the top five to give up their pick, but if BB were to accept a trade up there, I'm sure he'd have at least three prospects he'd consider worth drafting if he couldn't trade down a bit.

Back