OT: Home Security System

Patriots4ever

Running Up the Score
Reaction score
I have a question for the good folks here at the Planet.

Over the past weekend, I went to AT&T to make some alterations to my current phone situation. Upon making the necessary changes to save me some money on my phone plan, they offered me a wireless home security system. The equipment was basically free, and would add another $60 to my monthly bill. Given the savings that the new plan offered me, this particular service would put our bill basically what we were paying before, but with this added service.

My wife and I are expecting our 2nd child in about 2 weeks from today. We just bought a new house too. I feel that this, combined with saving $$ on home owners and auto insurance that this might be worth looking into installing but am currently doing research. I have had ADT in the past and didn't like them.

Anyone have any experience with this service? Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Thanks

What was wrong with ADT?

I'm pretty sure they install wireless for free and come in at less than $30 per.

The window contacts kept failing thus setting the alarm all the time resulting in fines from BPD. I'd get calls constantly while at work telling me the alarm was going off. The window contacts would constantly chirp all the time too ,which got annoying, resulting in me ripping the thing out of my wall altogether. Also, despite many calls to them complaining and explaining, they were very poor in customer service getting that problem corrected for me. One time, the technician didn't even show up for the appointment to meet me in getting it fixed. I'm sure the systems ADT has now are way better than the one I had, but having this all on 1 bill through AT&T seems more convenient.

The low end plan for AT&T is $34.99/mo. The one that includes the outdoor video camera and touchscreen door lock (the plan I think I want) is $54.99/mo

SimpliSafe - $15/mo.

http://simplisafe.com/security?gcli...medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_champion=Yes

award-winning-badges.png

Award-Winning Home Security

Winner of CNET Editor’s Choice Award, Angie’s List Super Service Award, and A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.

This. Own the hardware. Pay reasonable monitoring for the highest rated. Haven't done it, but it hung around on my to do for a year at least will be done soon.

Or you could get a dog.

Burglars: Dogs Deter Criminals Convicts Describe How To Combat Break-ins

July 14, 1991|By JEAN DUBAIL, Staff Writer

Burglars are like snowflakes: No two are exactly alike.

Some are clever and methodical; others impulsive to the point of recklessness.
Some spend hours or days stalking potential victims; others enter the first unlocked door they find.

No neighborhood is absolutely safe, no alarm system absolutely foolproof. The more precautions taken by the wary homeowner, the more irresistible the challenge.

Only one thing will deter most burglars: a dog.

Such is the picture that emerges from a Sun-Sentinel survey of state prison inmates serving time for Palm Beach County and Broward County burglaries.

While one burglar said "an alarm system is very effective against the small- time man like me," two-thirds considered alarm systems "little or no deterrent" to their work.

"I can beat almost any alarm system," one bragged.

Wrote another: "If you have an alarm, it makes a burglar think you have something worth taking."

Nearly a third said the most effective defense has four legs.

"Keep a good watch dog in the house," said David Welling, who is serving a 12-year sentence in Dade Correctional Institution.

Granted, with young kids, you need to be careful about the breed and temperament of the dog you get, but if you've got one who barks, not yips, at people who show up, it can make many thieves simply decide to look elsewhere.

My dog problem...

I have a puppy and he cannot be trusted to have the run of the house when no one is home, I'd guess he'll be like 2 years old before I can let him roam.

Most are like that.

Crate trained I presume?

So long as the thief can't see a crate he doesn't know.

And if the dog barks at suspicious noise or changes in day routine times you're all set until he's trusted to stay out. Ours does now.

Claymore mines, a moat surrounding my house with sharks and laser beams on their foreheads, bazooka, Gatling guns, and a shower of acid for anybody that makes it to the interior of my home.

My dog problem...

I have a puppy and he cannot be trusted to have the run of the house when no one is home, I'd guess he'll be like 2 years old before I can let him roam.

Most are like that.

Crate trained I presume?

So long as the thief can't see a crate he doesn't know.

And if the dog barks at suspicious noise or changes in day routine times you're all set until he's trusted to stay out. Ours does now.

Is the issue him/her pooping and peeing or chewing stuff up?

If the former, you could always leave him/her in a room with a tile/linoleum floor that is easy to clean up.

If the latter, then pick a room that doesn't have stuff that is susceptible to being damaged by chewing.

The key point as Dwight points out is that the dog simply has to bark and let the potential thief's know they will bark.

I don't think thieves are deterred primarily because they think the dog will bite, simply that if it makes enough noise it will draw attention.

Something else to consider is getting any of the various stickers for the Fire Department to tell them there are pets inside.

ASPCA-fire-sticker.jpg

With that, any potential thief will think there's a dog there and if they ehar any barking, that might be enough.

Claymore mines, a moat surrounding my house with sharks and laser beams on their foreheads, bazooka, Gatling guns, and a shower of acid for anybody that makes it to the interior of my home.

What, no fire based weapons? :shake:

Fire is your friend.

Add a flame thrower, oil filled pits, or something fer cryin out loud.

This is my home security systems.

0814.jpg

Back