OT - Mormon Scum!

I didn't get the alcohol part, either. And then I paid attention.

Your body is your temple (that is in the Bible) for the Holy Ghost, treat it right, basically. And wine back in the day wasn't very hardcore.

And there are a lot of cultures in my Church. We have to have a whole 'nother meeting time for the Hmongs.

Alcoholic9 said:

And how come all of you guys are white? Do either you or Jheavner have any asians/blacks/hispanics in your congregations?

I'm still wondering about this question.

I'm not accusing mormons of being racist or anything I'm generally curious. Lets say over my lifetime 25 Mormons have come to my door at various points. They were all white and under 30. :shrug:

Alcoholic9 said:
I'm still wondering about this question.

I'm not accusing mormons of being racist or anything I'm generally curious. Lets say over my lifetime 25 Mormons have come to my door at various points. They were all white and under 30. :shrug:

My ward up here had 2 black Missionaries when I was active, and like I said a rather large Haitian contingent (most of which would of course be black). Back home down South, we had a pretty good mix of black and white, with a few Asians and an Indian couple, I believe they converted from Muslim, though I'm not positive on that.

Alcoholic9 said:
They were all white and under 30. :shrug:

Not only are they all white, they're all very pale and the carrying the wrong chromosones.

I know a Black woman got up for a talk during the Sacrament service and talked about how it wasn't acceptable by some of her family for her to be LDS.

I think because different cultures usually have their own thing going on. A lot of Blacks are Baptist, and then there is Bhuddism and Islam and Hindu. Most white people can roam around without gettiing any flack.

Richard Gere and Goldie Hawn are Bhuddist.

Gladys Knight is a Mormon.

There sure don't fit into the "mold" viewed from the outside.

Dan Pires said:
Not only are they all white, they're all very pale and the carrying the wrong chromosones.

LOL. Ok guys, rule number 1. Don't fall for a female missionary. First, look at the obvious, she's religious and will be so for at least a couple more years. Second, she lives many miles away from where you are and will be going back home eventually. Third she's not gonna want to marry a heathen like most of us here are. >)

Hey, I have an Italian tan and the perfect 23 pair of Chromosomes.:p

Jheavner said:
Hey, I have an Italian tan and the perfect 23 pair of Chromosomes.:p

In that case, will you be my second wife?

(ok, I just could resist)

Dan Pires said:

And they all wear those white collared shirts! Aint there no blue or grey in Mormon land? :D

Thanks Moeb, I was wondering. Seemed like the Hitler Youth to me sometimes. :p

What's up with the backpacks? ;)

Alcoholic9 said:
And they all where those white collared shirts! Aint there no blue or grey in Mormon land? :D

Thanks Moeb, I was wondering. Seemed like the Hitler Youth to me sometimes. :p

These guys live a pretty simple and spartan life for a couple years. To be honest, it's something I knew pretty early I'd never be able to do, especially dealing with the rejection issues.

The clothes are just the simple living part (not sure if there are specific rules). The backpacks are just a matter of convenience. They're carrying their own scriptures, plus copies to hand out (not many mind you) and other materials. You need some way to haul all that stuff around, and most of them will be on foot or bicycle for a good portion of the day.

Their day is pretty much get up, study, tracting (the time they go out a'preachin), study, go to bed. Church members usually help out with food and such (inviting the missionaires for dinner for example).

Moebius said:
These guys live a pretty simple and spartan life for a couple years. To be honest, it's something I knew pretty early I'd never be able to do, especially dealing with the rejection issues.

The clothes are just the simple living part (not sure if there are specific rules). The backpacks are just a matter of convenience. They're carrying their own scriptures, plus copies to hand out (not many mind you) and other materials. You need some way to haul all that stuff around, and most of them will be on foot or bicycle for a good portion of the day.

Their day is pretty much get up, study, tracting (the time they go out a'preachin), study, go to bed. Church members usually help out with food and such (inviting the missionaires for dinner for example).

Are they training to be uhh... preists/reverands/whatever then?

Alcoholic9 said:

Okay, you said it. What is up with the WalMart $7.99 backpacks?

I do have to say that they are cool when you slam the door in their faces. It's not like they whip out a can of shaving cream and fling wet dog crap on your screen door after you do it.

Alcoholic9 said:
Are they training to be uhh... preists/reverands/whatever then?

Nope, just spreading the word. My brother-in-law was a missionary (met my sister right after he got home), and is now working in the truck tire industry.

On that note, in the case of LDS, Bishops (our version of whatever :) ) are not paid, usually married, have jobs outside of the church, don't go to special schools or anything, and are pretty much normal folk.

Dan Pires said:
Okay, you said it. What is up with the WalMart $7.99 backpacks?

I do have to say that they are cool when you slam the door in their faces. It's not like they whip out a can of shaving cream and fling wet dog crap on your screen door after you do it.

Missionaries pay their way in alot of respects. Obviously the church provides some of the funding, and housing and such, but personals and all that.... You get the idea. You look for cost cutting wherever you can, so I'd imagine Walmart is a pretty good source for that.

Jheavner said:
Hey man, if you want 5 hot chicks at the same time and don't care about your soul, I am sure there are a lot of way to fulfill that fantasy.

Not only that, but (if the TV news program reports are to be believed) they are often physically and sexually abusive and essentially hold members of their family captive. Sounds more like David Koresh than Brigham Young.

What we were told was wrong with LDS in the church and school I was raised in was that their teachings derive from the Book of Mormon, which Lutherans (and most other denominations) do not recognize as being from God.

But in recent years I have heard scholars talk about how there have been many different versions of the Bible over the years, and how other gospels and books were held out from the Bible altogether due to what religious officials centuries ago felt should and should not be included. So who are we to say what is part of the Bible and what is not?

They aren't training for anything. It more like they are concentrating on their task at hand.

They aren't allowed to watch TV or anything like that. In their spare time, they read the scriptures.

Eliminating anything not needed to promote God's plan.

Jheavner said:

They aren't allowed to watch TV or anything like that. In their spare time, they read the scriptures.

Eliminating anything not needed to promote God's plan.

"allowed" to watch TV? Or what? They'll burn in the hellfires of damnation for eternity? ;)

This is the part where the thread ends up in the political forum I guess. :D

TrueBeliever said:
What we were told was wrong with LDS in the church and school I was raised in was that their teachings derive from the Book of Mormon, which Lutherans (and most other denominations) do not recognize as being from God.

Teachings derive from the Old and New Testament as well. If you look at the cover of a Book of Mormon, it says "Another Testament of Christ". In effect, it covers the Americas during the time of Christ. For those who went to Sunday School or read the Bible, you most likely came across the phrase "Other sheep I have which are not of this fold". That's what it covers.

I have heard that the Jw are the abused ones. And maybe the Crazy Momon sects in Utah that think they are better than any other beings.

We talk about the different interpretations of the Bible in our Church. It's how it is interpreted is what your denomination is.

The book of Mormon is another Testimony of Jesus Christ. He is all powerful and mighty, so why was he only in the Middle East in Biblical times?

All it is is his visits and influences in another part of the World. In the Americas. It reads pretty much just like the Bible. All about Jesus Christ and God.

Back