OT - Mormon Scum!

Jheavner said:
Ok, guys, I hope you don't hate me now, but I am a Mormon. We prefer LDS because Mormon was first used in a derogatory way that just stuck.

I know by the things I post here I am not acting very Christlike and I have contemplated quitting here because this is my one outlet to bad things.

We aren't crazy, I promise. And the exact opposite of Jehovah's Witnesses, thankyouverymuch.

I go every Sunday. I am hold titles in the Church. I think anyone that has a real belief in Christ should at least check it out, I think you'd be surprised. And they understand no means no, so if you tell them to go away, they will. We are big believers in free agency.

I recently converted, this month is one year, so I still have problems with things from my past and trying to get over things from before. I stopped doing drugs and drinkiing when I became a mom, so that part was easy, but it is definitley a lifestyle that you have to be ready for. Because it is just, a way of life and not just a religion. I still have a problem with cussing and bs-ing and things of that sort.

There are a lot of misconceptions about it. I listened to the Missionaries just to amuse my MIL. But to my surprise, what they teach is a lot of what I already beleived in. It just felt right.

It is the Church Of Jesus Christ, he is our Savior and we worship him and God.

I understand ya'll think we all are crazy and will say whatever you want, I know, I was the same exact way.

So, not trying to convert everyone or anything, just a subject near and dear to my heart.

Ask all the questions if you want.

And we don't think people who aren't like us are bad.

In my experience, Mormons are about 5x as likely to knock on your door than JWs are.

That said...Mormons and JWs are just doing what they have to do, as per their religion. I know it gets annoying sometimes, especially if you're busy around the house or whatever; but as for me, in either case...I tell them I'm a catholic and i've accepted JC as my Personal Christ and Savior, and I'm not really interested in converting, and they're usually cool with that....Sometimes the JWs will say Catholics aren't the "chosen people", and I usually one-line that off, s(omething like "Well the Pope thinks so...Who am i to argue with the Pope?). But Mormons in my experience actually seem pretty happy with my answer, and if it's cold out I'll give them some coffee to go or something.

To me, it's a minor inconvenience.., and they're just doing what they believe in; doesn't make them any better or worse than me, and I actually kind of respect them for having that kind of committment.

Just me though...Your results may vary.

:pat:

TrueBeliever said:
And no offense about the "marrying 5 women" remark. I know that actual LDS members do not practice polygamy, and I'm sure y'all don't appreciate the stereotype.

Bummer. From what Alkie said about the hot girls coming to his door, I was thinking that maybe I could give them my soul for some kind of package deal.

It's all good, no offense taken. I am used to hearing harsh stuff. Most people are cool about it though.

We take the "Christ loves us and that is cool" approach too. Good stuff.

All in all, anyone that loves JC is ok with me. And even those who don't, not everyone is bad who doesn't believe.

I would say a lot of the people in the Church are attractive, because we take care of our bodies.

And there are some crazies in Utah that try to splinter off and make their own version so they can still practice polygamy. We are very against them.

Hey man, if you want 5 hot chicks at the same time and don't care about your soul, I am sure there are a lot of way to fulfill that fantasy.

Jheavner said:
Ok, guys, I hope you don't hate me now, but I am a Mormon. We prefer LDS because Mormon was first used in a derogatory way that just stuck.

I know by the things I post here I am not acting very Christlike and I have contemplated quitting here because this is my one outlet to bad things.

We aren't crazy, I promise. And the exact opposite of Jehovah's Witnesses, thankyouverymuch.

I go every Sunday. I am hold titles in the Church. I think anyone that has a real belief in Christ should at least check it out, I think you'd be surprised. And they understand no means no, so if you tell them to go away, they will. We are big believers in free agency.

I recently converted, this month is one year, so I still have problems with things from my past and trying to get over things from before. I stopped doing drugs and drinkiing when I became a mom, so that part was easy, but it is definitley a lifestyle that you have to be ready for. Because it is just, a way of life and not just a religion. I still have a problem with cussing and bs-ing and things of that sort.

There are a lot of misconceptions about it. I listened to the Missionaries just to amuse my MIL. But to my surprise, what they teach is a lot of what I already beleived in. It just felt right.

It is the Church Of Jesus Christ, he is our Savior and we worship him and God.

I understand ya'll think we all are crazy and will say whatever you want, I know, I was the same exact way.

So, not trying to convert everyone or anything, just a subject near and dear to my heart.

Ask all the questions if you want.

And we don't think people who aren't like us are bad.

DEAD TO ME!

j/k

Did your man convert you? Was he a Mormon when you met? Or are you converting him? Who the hell did convert you?

Is the Mormon belief that after you die you'll be the God of your own world?

Jheavner said:

C'mon, admit it. We're crazy. :D Everyone knows it.

When I was in high school, my friends and I all took a couple of months to go to each others' churches to learn about them. We had a First Christian (not sure what that really denomination derives from), a Baptist, a Catholic, an Episcopalian, and the Mormon me. Mostly we learned two things. Most religions are basically alike, and that alot of folks hate Mormons.

The week we went to the Baptist friends church, the pastor (or minister, whichever he's called) chose that day to give an anti-Mormon sermon. It was rather funny for all of us to listen to him. Me because I know my own religion and my friends because they knew my family. He was basically quoting stuff from the more popular anti-Mormon books and literature. Stuff like we have to take showers with one foot outside touching garments, which was my favorite. We spent most of the time trying to control our giggling.

Afterwards, the Pastor came up to us to chide my member friend. He said that he wasn't sure all the guy's statements were accurate. He assured us that he knew what he was talking about and asked why we'd question that. My friend pointed to me and told him I was Mormon. He then proceeded to try and prove his statements until I started listing some of the books he'd used to quote from. After that he got flustered and stalked off.

My friend never went back (not sure about his parents). Though he didn't convert to LDS or anything, he told me there's no way he could respect someone who's supposed to be religious using his position to spread lies and ill will.

Among my friends, we decided every religion is crazy looking unless you believe in it.

TommyD420 said:
Sometimes the JWs will say Catholics aren't the "chosen people", and I usually one-line that off, s(omething like "Well the Pope thinks so...Who am i to argue with the Pope?).

Next time they tell you that just point out the fact that the original disciples chose those to succeed them, and those then chose those would would succeed them and so and so on through the ages... Those "successors" are now the Holy Order of the Catholic Church.

So technically... You can't get much closer to being the "chosen people". ;)

The one thing I never understood about religions such as LDS and Baptists is the utter ban on drinking alcohol.

The Bible does not say that it is wrong to drink. Hell, through out the Bible people are drinking and being merry.

It's the act of overindulging that the Bible says is wrong. And that pertains to everything from drinking to eating to sleeping to watching TV. It falls under gluttony.

But the Bible, never condemns drinking.

I've just always wondered why there are religions out there that have. :shrug:

Alcoholic9 said:

No, but that's a common mis-conception I've heard throughout my life.

mgoblue101415 said:
Next time they tell you that just point out the fact that the original disciples chose those to succeed them, and those then chose those would would succeed them and so and so on through the ages... Those "successors" are now the Holy Order of the Catholic Church.

So technically... You can't get much closer to being the "chosen people". ;)

The one thing I never understood about religions such as LDS and Baptists is the utter ban on drinking alcohol.

The Bible does not say that it is wrong to drink. Hell, through out the Bible people are drinking and being merry.

It's the act of overindulging that the Bible says is wrong. And that pertains to everything from drinking to eating to sleeping to watching TV. It falls under gluttony.

Assembly of God is like that too. I've awlays wondered that myself. JC turned water into wine after all....BAD JC...BAD :D:D

:pat:

mgoblue101415 said:

The short answer is the whole body is a temple line of thinking. Alcohol is bad (mmmkay..). Even in moderation it kills brain cells, thus religions that follow that practice are against it. Luckily, I didn't have to worry too much. I can't stand the taste of alcohol. Beer, wine, liqour, pretty much all taste terrible to me.

As for wine references in the bible and such, this was a time when potable water wasn't always readily available.

Moebius said:
No, but that's a common mis-conception I've heard throughout my life.

So if you don't mind, what is the belief? I've heard that from a few people who claimed they got it straight out of some Mormons mouth.

And how come all of you guys are white? Do either you or Jheavner have any asians/blacks/hispanics in your congregations?

Alcoholic9 said:
So if you don't mind, what is the belief? I've heard that from a few people who claimed they got it straight out of some Mormons mouth.

And how come all of you guys are white? Do either you or Jheavner have any asians/blacks/hispanics in your congregations?

For the record, I've been inactive for about a year. At first, because I was working a second job on Sundays, and now mostly out of laziness.

To try and be brief, we believe in heaven, to the effect of three kingdoms. The highest for those who lived a pure, Christ-like life, where one can sit by the side of God (usually where the misconception derives from). The second for those not quite so good, and the third for the naughty folks (akin to hell).

It's more complex than that, but that's the basic idea.

As for the cultural diversity part, I've seen just about every ethnicity in our church. Up here, there's a rather high haitian congregation actually, but also black, asian, even indian (as in East).

Alcoholic9 said:
DEAD TO ME!

j/k

Did your man convert you? Was he a Mormon when you met? Or are you converting him? Who the hell did convert you?

Whoa dude, let me breathe.

My man was raised a Mormon, but that didn't stop him from turning into the biggest Meth dealer in the town, among other things. Although he still new it was right, he wanted to have fun. He got out of all that stuff and was pretty good when we met. I mean, he didn't deal anymore. And by dealing I mean hooking his friends up, not going to kids at school or anything. Remember, this was Mariposa where you knew everyone. I knew everyone in the entire high school, about 500 people. Needless to say, the parties were the bomb.

I have always been a fan of JC, but not Mormon. I used to say terrible things about "them". He brought it up, but I shut him down. His Mom would say stuff, but then I would shut her up, too. (She wasn't a very good one, either.) It was when I let the Missionaries in that I started to beleive. It was just me home, so when I told my husband he was excited. We started to go to the Church and I was Baptized. That was such an amazing feeling.

Anyway, my old man still smoked (14 years, half of his life). Although I did everything else, I always hated smoking, so I always begged him to quit. He never could. He tried for the whole 4 years we were together and never could. And then we started going to the LDS church, where you know, they don't dig that kind of thing. So he quit. No problems. No withdrawls. Acted like he never had a problem to begin with. Did I mention he chewed everyday, too? That was more proof to me, that a man who smoked half of his life, who could quit everything else with no problem, could stop doing this that he had such a problem with. He had some good help (JC).

I have no clue where you are getting this "be the God of your Own World" stuff. We die and go to the Spirit World, Heaven. There are different layers for the different kinds of souls. All this stuff is in the Bible. All the questionable stuff I had about this Church, was proven to me in MY Bible the KJV. Not some funny version they have like the JW do. The showed me the answers from something I knew already, not the Book of Mormon (I thought that was the Devil's tool).

I guess you could say the Missionaries converted me.

And we all get another chance to accept/do better the Gospel once we reach the Kingdom.

Jheavner said:

I have no clue where you are getting this "be the God of your Own World" stuff. We die and go to the Spirit World, Heaven. There are different layers for the different kinds of souls. All this stuff is in the Bible. All the questionable stuff I had about this Church, was proven to me in MY Bible the KJV. Not some funny version they have like the JW do. The showed me the answers from something I knew already, not the Book of Mormon (I thought that was the Devil's tool).

Weird. I asked the two hot chix who came to my door about that some years ago in Boston and they kinda dodged the question and never came back after that. I suppose they coulda realized they were wasting their time with me though.

If anyone wants to know more, just give me your address. I'll be happy to send someone around. :D

Back on the knocking on doors topic, yes, they still do that. It seems these days though that it's not quite as common as it once was. I run across missionaries in public places more than see them in neighborhoods.

I always took a little pride in some folklore research my sister in law did when she was in college. She contacted most of the major religions requesting materials about their beliefs. From LDS of course she got a Book of Mormon and a Bible. Others sent Bibles, or books about them, pamphlets, whatever they used. JWs came a'knocking a couple days later, and more times afterwards. Others called a few times or sent people by. The Mormons called, asked if she'd received the materials, then asked if she would like someone to stop by to discuss them. She said no, and that was it. No knocks, no calls, they just left her a contact number and said call if she ever had questions or wanted to discuss. She told me she was pretty impressed with the fact that they didn't push.

Alcoholic9 said:
Weird. I asked the two hot chix who came to my door about that some years ago in Boston and they kinda dodged the question and never came back after that. I suppose they coulda realized they were wasting their time with me though.

They're kind of trained to deal with abuse and door slamming, and not to push it with those who don't want to listen.

Alcoholic9 said:
So my doorbell just rang and my dog Shadow starts barking like a mofo (good girl). I go open it and there they are with their white shirts, backpacks, and name tags. I barely opened the door halfway and recognize em for what they are and blurt out "Mormons, forget it, see ya" and start closing the door when one of em asks "do you know anyone in the neighborhood who can use an uplifting message maybe?" This hits me with the kind of laughter that shoots soda out your nose. Somehow I managed to get out "no" as I closed the door but I'm sure that wont stop em.

Was that mean?

Ya' know, this reminds me of an old joke...

What's the difference between a Mormon and a Yugo?

You can't slam the door on a Yugo, bud.

P.S. I can't tell you how many times I've just simply said to people, with no accent or emphasized tone, "I don't speak English" and either walked away or shut the door in their face.

yugo-gv.jpg

Oh, and for the record, I think Orgazmo is one of the funniest friggin movies ever made, despite ragging on Mormon's pretty bad. If you've never seen it, give it a shot.

Back