Pats, Broncos Could Be Trying to Shake Revis Free from Tampa

Revis would easily account for 12 interceptions a year here, and that's just counting games against the rest of the AFC east ;)

bleacherreport is merely linking to the original report from the Weekly World News.

Oops! My bad. Make that Florio over at PFT.

bleacherreport is merely linking to the original report from the Weekly World News.

Oops! My bad. Make that Florio over at PFT.

Offseason sucks (especially when your team doesn't win the superbowl), doesn't it? :banghead:

How the frack would the Pats absorb a $16M cap hit necessary to make this trade?

According to Miguel, as of 2/28 they are $8.8 under the cap.

I thought the rule was you had to have room under the cap at the moment the trade occurs, so even if we got him to restructure his contract and lower the cap hit, we'd have to find ~$8M in savings.

Not sure we could do that and address other FA's we have in house that we want to keep.

How the frack would the Pats absorb a $16M cap hit necessary to make this trade?

I thought the rule was you had to have room under the cap at the moment the trade occurs, so even if we got him to restructure his contract and lower the cap hit, we'd have to find ~$8M in savings.

Not sure we could do that and address other FA's we have in house that we want to keep.

In the event of a trade, doesn't the trading team absorb the cap hit from the bonus?

Only the top 51 player salaries for a team count against the salary cap in the offseason. I don't know how his contract is structured regarding bonuses...some, such as in season roster bonuses, don't count until later in the season and some are counted after the season ends.

edit:
But this is pure silliness...does anyone really think BB will pay a CB $16M?

I rather give Talib 6 to 7 million a year.16 mill is way to much . To pay a CB The only good. thing about Revis deal is no guaranteed money.

In the event of a trade, doesn't the trading team absorb the cap hit from the bonus?

Revis has the simplest contract in the NFL. $13M base salary, $1.5M roster bonus, $1.5M workout bonus. Cap hit $16M in each year. There's no bonus the trading team would have to eat. The team that aquires him would take on exactly those numbers.

Only the top 51 player salaries for a team count against the salary cap in the offseason. I don't know how his contract is structured regarding bonuses...some, such as in season roster bonuses, don't count until later in the season and some are counted after the season ends.

edit:
But this is pure silliness...does anyone really think BB will pay a CB $16M?

There is absolutely no way Pats and Revis even smell any deal unless one or both of them significantly changes their business operation ways. :LOL:

Revis has the simplest contract in the NFL. $13M base salary, $1.5M roster bonus, $1.5M workout bonus. Cap hit $16M in each year. There's no bonus the trading team would have to eat. The team that aquires him would take on exactly those numbers.

Then it should be really easy to redo the contract, I would think. With no guaranteed bonuses, you could just void the whole contract and write a new one. No cap hit involved.

Then it should be really easy to redo the contract, I would think. With no guaranteed bonuses, you could just void the whole contract and write a new one. No cap hit involved.

Not a too bad strategy...How bout if the Patriots want to tag free agent cornerback Aqib Talib or Revis, it would cost the team $11.834 million. If the Patriots were to tag free agent wide receiver Julian Edelman, it would cost the team $12.312 million. So it will be interesting to see what the Pats do for any of these players.... :stirpot:

Dating back to 2010, Revis has been targeted 223 times, or 4.46 times per game, according to Pro Football Focus. Talib, meanwhile, has been targeted 265 times (5.1 per game).

...differences begin to emerge when looking at what happens once a quarterback decides to throw at the two men. Over the aforementioned span, Revis allowed only 100 receptions for 1,334 yards. Talib surrendered 156 receptions for 2,422 yards.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/03/new_england_patriots_rumors_20.html

Revis is in a class by himself but Talib is pretty good when healthy.

Release VW?

Hmmmm.....

Play the first year. Let him become enthrall end under BB and his force. Convince him to a more team friendly re-structure.

What's more silly?

$10 mil for a G?

$11 mil cap hit for an aging injured NT?

Or $16 mil for an all century CB?

What's more silly?

$10 mil for a G?

$11 mil cap hit for an aging injured NT?

Or $16 mil for an all century CB?

Mankins has already said he's open to restructure.

VW won't be paid that amount either.

Talib is 2/3 as effective as Revis. (100 vs 150 completions since 2010)
2/3 of 16 is $10.7M for Talib vs $16M for Revis. BB's history is to not pay $$$ for the "best" FA at any position and Talib is very good when healthy. Both will be overpaid but I'm guessing BB is happy enough with Talib at $9-10M/ rather than Revis at $16M/ PLUS at least a 1st round draft pick in a trade.

Since we're talking crazy here, another silly thought is to pair Jimmy Graham with Gronk. Graham wouldn't cost as much as Revis in $$ but would cost 2 1st rnd picks instead of 1. Revis or Graham?

(I know it's silly but it is an option to be assessed.)

Talib also has more INTs in less games than Revis (23-21 INTs in 95-77 games). Teams may not avoid throwing in the area of Talib as much as they do Revis, but he often makes them pay when they challenge him.

I'd rather see money spent on the defensive line and a safety. NE doesn't need an all-century CB, IMO, they need depth at key positions.

Back