Pats: Bruschi Suffered A "Mild Stroke"

Dan Pires

Reaction score
STATEMENT OFFERED THROUGH PATRIOTS SPOKESPERSON STACEY JAMES
After speaking to the Bruschi family this evening, we are providing the following update on Tedy Bruschi's status and condition.

"On Wednesday morning, Tedy Bruschi suffered from headaches, blurred vision and some temporary numbness while at his home. He was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was admitted and held for evaluations. It hasbeen determined that these symptoms were the results of a mild stroke. Tedy is in good condition and, as always, his spirits are high. He is walking and
talking normally and stressed that he would like to thank veryone for keeping him and his family in their thoughts and prayers. The outpouring of support has been overwhelming and the Bruschi family is very appreciative."

Thanks dan ...

do you have a link to the source ??

Just curious - I didn't watch the pro bowl. Did he make any big hits in that game? This probably isn't related, but it did happen a few days afterward.

kinky said:
Thanks dan ...

do you have a link to the source ??

Kinky: This came in the form of a bulk e-mail distribution from the Patriots media relations office. Sorry I can't give you a hard link, bro.

My heart goes out to Tedy and his family. He's truly a survivor. He'll be alright with or without football.

Peace,
Dan

Just as I thought. Hmmmmmmmmm...

P.S. Mild or not, this doesn't look good for his return to football.

SCHNIT!!!!!

Fortunately, he has an excellent chance of a full recovery, and life to look forward to with his family.

Never say never about a New England Patriot player, as in "may never play again". Good times lay ahead.....

If anyone can defy the odds it's Tedy Bruschi. I have faith that he'll play again. Meanwhile, let's just be thankful he's doing well. That's the most important thing.

Let's just say that he after experiencing even a MILD intracranial bleed, he SHOULDN'T ever play again.

Whether or not he does remains to be seen. I would be surprised if the team doctor would clear him to play.

Regardless, I'm just very glad that for Tedy and his family that he will likely make a complete recovery.

wyobilzfan said:

Regardless, I'm just very glad that for Tedy and his family that he will likely make a complete recovery.

You're 100% right, I know...his health is the most important thing

wyobilzfan said:
Let's just say that he after experiencing even a MILD intracranial bleed, he SHOULDN'T ever play again.

Whether or not he does remains to be seen. I would be surprised if the team doctor would clear him to play.

Wyo,

Here is something I don't get, maybe your husband can answer, I have treated and evaluated players on the field for head injuries, but most of what I do is more related to broken bones and joint injuries....

If Bruschi did have a cerebral aneurysm leading to a subarachnoid hemorrhage or CVA, has he ever heard of these being managed non-surgically??

I mean the reports I hear are Bruschi is not even in intensive care, he's up and around

My understanding of aneurysms in young healthy patients is that it is a surgical emergency

Something still seems odd about this to me...

:( this sucks, he's the heart and soul of the team... as much as i want to see him back on the field, if there's even a 1% chance that he'd risk serious injury, he should just retire. Maybe he should be the pat's linebacker coach or something, he's a bright guy...

Steve

So you're saying that he'll be back on the field after having a stroke? You do realize that it's starting out with the small ones, that lead to the big ones. Both of my parents died from strokes, and because of that I'm on aspirin therapy, and lipitor, so I don't have a stroke.

If he walked away from the game tomorrow, he'd be financially set, and have his three rings. I'd rather have him go out that way, and be immortalized by everyone in New England. You don't seem to realize that people aren't the same even after having a minor stroke. Would you like to see him struggle? Not me. I'd rather have the memories of his picks, his kids on the field in Jacksonville, and Bob Kraft giving him work within the organization.

It certainly increases the liklihood that the Pat's will draft an inside LB or two in the early rounds. Both Roman and Teddy could be candidates for retirement and that would leave Ted Johnson, Don Davis, Larry Izzo and potentially Justin Kurpeikis (PS) as 4 of the 5 inside LB's.

ncPatfan said:
Wyo,

Here is something I don't get, maybe your husband can answer, I have treated and evaluated players on the field for head injuries, but most of what I do is more related to broken bones and joint injuries....

If Bruschi did have a cerebral aneurysm leading to a subarachnoid hemorrhage or CVA, has he ever heard of these being managed non-surgically??

I mean the reports I hear are Bruschi is not even in intensive care, he's up and around

My understanding of aneurysms in young healthy patients is that it is a surgical emergency

Something still seems odd about this to me...
Just based upon history with medical reports coming from the Patriots, I wouldn't put too much faith in this report being precise.

Also, once an aneurysm bursts, isn't most of the damage already done, and the need for surgury diminished (assuming the patient survives)?
________
Lexus IS F history

nc,

The reason they do emergency surgery to repair an aneurysm is to PREVENT a rupture. Tedy's ALREADY ruptured, so there is no point in doing surgery. The damage has already been done.

Where I think you might be getting confused is that the "critical emergency" cases occur when the aneurysm is in a MAJOR cerebral artery. They HAVE to get them repaired BEFORE they rupture.

Obviously in Tedy's case (and thankfully so), his occurred in a MINOR blood vessel.

However, the bad news is that he is absolutely at risk of recurrence if he continues to play football. The problem is that even if his vessels all look good on his scans now, there's no way to know if there are inherent weaknesses in other vessels that just haven't shown up yet.

Sometimes a weakened blood vessel can lay dormant for a long time, sometimes they grow into an aneurysm and either slowly or quickly rupture.

The key is the location, and if they are located in a major cerebral artery, they MUST be repaired or a rupture will most likely be catastrophic.

The unknown here is whether or not repetitive blows to the head exacerbated a preexisting condition, or if this was just something that was a genetic defect that blew on its own.

Either way, I cannot imagine any physician would be willing to sign off on the liability of letting him play again. After what happened with Korey Stringer, team physicians are MUCH more reluctant to take on that kind of risk.

SCHNIT!!!

And at 31, with three super bowls under his belt and a wonderful family and life ahead of him, IMO it would be foolhardy to take on the additional risk. If I was his wife, he would start coaching if he wanted to stay involved in the game.

Re: Steve

perhaps2 said:
I'd rather have the memories of his picks, his kids on the field in Jacksonville, and Bob Kraft giving him work within the organization.

good call

And you know what else, although the money is still great for these players, I'm sure it crossed the mind of more than one Patriot: "Is it time to retire?". Now, I would imagine that before yesterday, a guy like Bruschi probably would not have seriously considered it....but now, one would think, he's taking it hour by hour, day by day, and will wait for the informed suggestions of his physicians. And, yes, the memories I have of Teddy should not include anything morbid.

Conjecture may be the game of some....I'll prefer to see what transpires in fact...although, some of you folks are wonderfully educated and some are quite experienced in the world of medicine.....that's great!

p.s I'm very sorry about your parents, and I'm sure you are, unfortunately, well versed in what you are talking about

wyobilzfan said:

And at 31, with three super bowls under his belt and a wonderful family and life ahead of him, IMO it would be foolhardy to take on the additional risk. If I was his wife, he would start coaching if he wanted to stay involved in the game.
I was just thinking that...it would be just like Bruschi to offer his services as a coach when he can no longer offer his services as a player. :)

Well, I'm glad that he seems to be doing well and may actually be going home sooner, rather than later.

I also believe we may very well have sent Bru out with a 3rd Superbowl ring and a well deserved Pro Bowl. I would love to see him doing any form of coaching for the Pats and I don't doubt for a second that Kraft would take very good care of him financially should Bru decide to coach.

If Tedy Bruschi does retire, his number should also be retired at the home opener next season. He wasn't the biggest, fastest or strongest Patriots linebacker of all time, but Ted Bruschi has tremendous heart, determination, leadership and is flat out one of the greatest Patriots players of all time. He is a hero to my 2 older boys. My oldest is pretty shaken up about #54 having a blood vessel burst in his head. He said to me "What are the Pats going to do on defense Dad? He's our best player." I couldn't answer. I could only agree with him.

Anyway, for the Bruschi's I'm willing to bet that only good things happen for them going forward. After all, they DO live in North Attleboro and that's where all the good people live!!! :D

Back