Preseason Game 2, 2016, Pats/Bears

Leno was a guy I hoped the Pats would have drafted because his numbers matched the prototypical OL, prior to Gugs arrival.

I didn't see his numbers and he didn't look real tall, but I thought he appeared very athletic and strong and like he might be somebody before long. He was a 6th round pick, I believe. So far, the only credible NFL OT that Trey Flowers has squared off with was David Baktieri of Green Bay and Flowers gave him fits, so I was more or less trying to give Leno credit for keeping Flowers in check for a while. He's the first guy I've seen that did so. I think we're past the "preseason flash in the pan" stage with Flowers.

Also, Derby looked good, is he good enough to replace M. Bennett, Trade Bennett?? definetly cheaper.

Christ, I'd be happy if Derby made the team and caught two dozen balls. Lets not get carried away, but he does look like a player.

If you have been really watching Cannon is doing very well now that Scar is working with him again.

Maybe so. There was a play versus the Saints where Mason was at RG and he and Cannon got their signals crossed and let somebody go in untouched right between them for a sack which is the same thing (I believe) that happened in the playoff loss to Denver. A mental breakdown for which there is no excuse.

I think that particular play was probably Mason's fault, but I'm not sure. I would hope that Cannon knows his calls by now, but he does appear to be playing a little better, which is not saying much.

He was godawful versus Denver and down the stretch last season and he has got to be much better, particularly shutting down the outside corner to speed rushers.

Cannon has had his moments a few seasons back where I really thought he was turning into a decent player and it seemed like he regressed badly during Gugs' regime, so hopefully Scar can get him back on track.

I don't really believe he has the athletic ability to get to the edge and we are going to have to help him all season long or bench him, but I look forward to being incorrect about that assessment.

I sincerely hope the team looks for an experienced and capable OT to bring in when the cuts start coming in. It's hard to criticize BB's team-building philosophies, but I think this is one case where it is blatantly obvious that we really need help and have not yet done enough to address the need there given the shaky performance and injury history of the incumbents.

Maybe so. There was a play versus the Saints where Mason was at RG and he and Cannon got their signals crossed and let somebody go in untouched right between them for a sack which is the same thing (I believe) that happened in the playoff loss to Denver. A mental breakdown for which there is no excuse.

I think that particular play was probably Mason's fault, but I'm not sure. I would hope that Cannon knows his calls by now, but he does appear to be playing a little better, which is not saying much.

He was godawful versus Denver and down the stretch last season and he has got to be much better, particularly shutting down the outside corner to speed rushers.

Cannon has had his moments a few seasons back where I really thought he was turning into a decent player and it seemed like he regressed badly during Gugs' regime, so hopefully Scar can get him back on track.

I don't really believe he has the athletic ability to get to the edge and we are going to have to help him all season long or bench him, but I look forward to being incorrect about that assessment.

I sincerely hope the team looks for an experienced and capable OT to bring in when the cuts start coming in. It's hard to criticize BB's team-building philosophies, but I think this is one case where it is blatantly obvious that we really need help and have not yet done enough to address the need there given the shaky performance and injury history of the incumbents.

Having his feet healthy is likely to help with that also.

It's a bit much to define a player by one play, good or bad. Are there any players on the team who haven't missed a block, got taken out of a play, took a wrong angle, threw across his body or into triple coverage, yadda yadda yadda?

Bruce Armstrong and John Hannah weren't perfect. DEs earn their pay by defeating tackles. Even Brady has made mental errors at times. If we cut every guy who made an inexcusable mistake, Gillette would be empty.

Not saying Canon is great, but he is much better than last year.

Back