Preseason Game 2, 2016, Pats/Bears

If Lewis goes on the IR. It will be blount & Gaffney spitting the carries. White as the 3rd down back .

Between Bolden, Blount, Lewis (prob IR?), White and now Gaffney, who is going to stick?
No need to put Lewis on IR. He is on PUP so IR or not decision can be delayed until mid-season.

Blount, White stick
If Lewis on PUP, both Gaffney and Bolden stick
If Lewis off Pup, then one of Gaffney-Bolden get cut*

Depends on how well Gaffney plays on ST. If he is close to Bolden on ST, then he sticks and Bolden is gone.

No need to put Lewis on IR. He is on PUP so IR or not decision can be delayed until mid-season.

Blount, White stick
If Lewis on PUP, both Gaffney and Bolden stick
If Lewis off Pup, then one of Gaffney-Bolden get cut*

Depends on how well Gaffney plays on ST. If he is close to Bolden on ST, then he sticks and Bolden is gone.

Brandon Bolden is an elite special teams player, and is in zero danger of being cut.

The same way the Giants did in the 2 SB games and the Broncos did in the AFCCG last year...teams will go all out to attack our OL to get to our QB.
Let them. If the cast stays healthy with TB in the mix there'll be no stopping the O. car will get the Oline figured out. The D will be solid. This is a SB team, if healthy.

Brandon Bolden is an elite special teams player, and is in zero danger of being cut.

He also showed he can run the ball last year and catch out of the back field. I agree, no way he is cut. He is too versatile and valuable on STs.

I agree, with the caveat the Gaffney is also playing STs, and if he is as good as, or almost as good as Bolden on STs, he'll get the nod as he is a far better RB. I think I deleted something from my post, as that is what I meant to say.

Me too.

I was psyched when we drafted him ( had him mocked) and his athleticism is off the charts. Hope he has a late push.

How freaking stacked are the Pats at DB? Nice problem to have. Let's hope a couple of these guys can sneak through to the PS.

A couple of late observations after not having a chance to watch the game on my DVR (went to it):

UP

1. Anthony Johnson -- nobody boosted their stock more. Johnson got some first-half snaps and was active and impactful throughout showing good get-off and good hands and strength. Has he got this club made? Not yet, but he's come a long way in a short time and looks like he can help.

2. Jimmy G -- As in each game he plays there are a couple of passes where he forces it into coverage, but I thought his poise, accuracy and decision-making were all better. He's really quite good at putting the ball right on the money on short passes to his backs giving them a chance to take off with an extra split-second. I'm going to speculate that he is a middle-of-the-pack NFL starter right now and has a chance to be a lot better than that.

3. A.J. Derby -- it's already been said by everybody who watched. He makes the tough catches and can take a hit. I believe he has earned a roster spot.

4. Joe Thuney -- no secret I really like this guy. He's being asked to execute a lot of "reach" blocks where he has to block a guy closer to the intended hole than he is -- a very difficult assignment and he is quick enough to get there more often than not. I've noticed that on plays where the hole breaks down backs seem to be looking for his number since he consistently gets movement and controls his man. He doesn't look like a rookie at all. Good awareness and no mental mistakes. So far, I've seen him fail to execute his block twice in two halves of work and both came on difficult reach blocks. Other than that, he cleans his guy out of there and has been flawless in pass pro often sliding over to help Solder. What a find this kid has been, particularly given the complete breakdown of the once-deep guard position.

5. Trey Flowers -- he seemed to struggle vs. Charles Leno -- a pretty good-looking young LT -- in the first few series and then he started breaking him down with his hands and excellent quickness and had a number of impact plays before his night was done. I like that he seems to have a wide variety of moves which paired with that quickness and aggressive hands help him penetrate and make plays and he kept working until he figured out a way to get by Leno. He sets the edge very well for a guy his size and simply plays bigger than his listed 6'2" 265. Flowers reminds me a lot of Greg Townsend, an excellent, but under-sized Raider DE for a long time.

6. Tyler Gaffney -- D.J. who? Gaffney ran hard and with purpose all night and can do several things pretty well. He appears to be in excellent condition taking three straight handoffs for good yardage each time and not sucking wind after. I don't think we're looking at a TC wonderboy here. He has to be on the roster with the injury to Lewis. Gaffney can help us.

7. LaAdrian Waddle -- continues to stay in front of his man in pass pro, but so far not against front line opponents. I think he might be the soundest pass blocker of any of our OTs at the moment.

Down

1. Bryan Stork -- he looks consistently bad. It's a shame and if he doesn't show up soon I think he is gone. I don't understand what is going on with this guy. He was too good as a rookie to look this bad now.

2. Justin Coleman -- an instant target every time he enters the game and took a bad flag.

3. Cam Fleming -- continues to struggle and get his QB hit even as an extra TE. He doesn't appear to have improved after several seasons of work.

4. Kamu Grugier-Hill -- didn't play as often or as well as he did vs. NO, missed a few tackles and seemed a bit lost on STs.

5. Devin Lucien -- a longshot for the roster as it was, he didn't seem to know where the sideline was twice in the second half, which is one of the basics of his job description. Possible PS guy who has athletic ability and could be developed.

6. Nate Solder -- it's not like he is going anywhere and we'll sink or swim with him at LT, but he doesn't look like the same guy to me. He's gets pushed around more than I'd like to see and can't consistently get to the edge when pass blocking. Hopefully, he's just rusty, but.....we are going to need help at OT before the season starts.

A couple of late observations after not having a chance to watch the game on my DVR (went to it):

UP
5. Trey Flowers -- he seemed to struggle vs. Charles Leno -- a pretty good-looking young LT -- in the first few series and then he started breaking him down with his hands and excellent quickness and had a number of impact plays before his night was done.

Leno was a guy I hoped the Pats would have drafted because his numbers matched the prototypical OL, prior to Gugs arrival.

Also, Derby looked good, is he good enough to replace M. Bennett, Trade Bennett?? definetly cheaper.

Back