Prisons and nursing homes - the big swap...

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Sure this has crossed many desks here but I like it some and there's some who may not have seen it

Jails and Nursing Homes
Here's the way it should be:

Let's put the seniors in jail and the criminals in nursing homes. This would correct two things in one motion: Seniors would have access to showers, hobbies and walks. They would receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs, etc. They would receive money instead of having to pay it out.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they would be helped instantly... if they fell or needed assistance. Bedding would be washed twice a week and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them. A guard would check on them every 20 minutes. All meals and snacks would be brought to them.

They would have family visits in a suite built for that purpose. They would have access to a library, weight/fitness room, spiritual counseling, a pool and education...and free admission to in-house concerts by nationally recognized entertainment artists.

Simple clothing - ie. shoes, slippers, pj's - and legal aid would be free, upon request. There would be private, secure rooms provided for all with an outdoor exercise yard complete with gardens.

Each senior would have a P.C., T.V., phone and radio in their room at no cost. They would receive daily phone calls. There would be a board of directors to hear any complaints and the ACLU would fight for their rights and protection.

The guards would have a code of conduct to be strictly adhered to, with attorneys available, at no charge to protect the seniors and their families from abuse or neglect.

As for the criminals:

They would receive cold food.
They would be left alone and unsupervised.
They would receive showers once a week.
They would live in tiny rooms, for which they would have to pay $5,000 per month. They would have no hope of ever getting out.

"Sounds like justice to me!"

Cheers, BostonTim

I say we push this through ASAP:thumb: +1

I've only seen one I really liked, and that was one I had to work in when I was going through school. I swear the people that worked there would be there for free if they had to. The others, not so much.

I like this idea!

I've only seen one I really liked, and that was one I had to work in when I was going through school. I swear the people that worked there would be there for free if they had to. The others, not so much.

I like this idea!

I worked at a nursing home through High School too. The residents were treated very well and the staff for the most part did a great job but it was hard to shake the feeling that the place is just a big waiting room. Many of the residents were pretty active but a good portion were the "put em in a chair and park em' for the day" types. I really wish there was a better way but short of the ice flow, I'm not sure there is these days although the swap does have merit.

I worked at a nursing home through High School too. The residents were treated very well and the staff for the most part did a great job but it was hard to shake the feeling that the place is just a big waiting room. Many of the residents were pretty active but a good portion were the "put em in a chair and park em' for the day" types. I really wish there was a better way but short of the ice flow, I'm not sure there is these days although the swap does have merit.

Apparently, you didn't work in a nursing home in South Florida. Medical malpractice, medical neglect, lazy workers, nursing staff that polish their nails at the nursing station, patients with call lights on for hours at a time, doctors that get paid by Medicare for daily visits, yet most patients have never seen a doctor.

I speak from the experience that I just had this past month with my mother, until I screamed bloody murder, threatened lawsuits and medical board reviews, until I got her discharged.

Yes, inmates get better care than my experience has shown.

I'm only joking when I say this because you left a great opening, but "Soylent Green" comes to mind:D

I was seven when I first visited residents in a nursing home as part of the 'duties' expected of me as a member of my church's prayer group (Catholic). My older sister and I would sit and talk with five different residents each Tuesday evening, telling them about our family and school experiences as well as listening to their stories. I still smile to think of those sweet people, and appreciate the experience of interacting with them as a youngster.

My first job was in the same nursing home I visited. The staff was kind, empathetic, caring and professional. The patients were treated like members of our own family, and we grieved whenever one passed away. We shared in activities, holidays, games and even practical jokes. Many of the residents were a lively bunch, and gave the mostly high school and college-aged staff a run for their money.

We had a softball league comprised of area nursing home staff, and we would load up the activities van with those residents able to attend the games as our cheering section. One resident brought an enormous cowbell to celebrate each of our runs scored, or a good play made. We grew close to families of those residents who had visitors; sadly some residents spent days, months...years without a single visit from family or friend. We staff were the only social contact they had.

I spent many a Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter helping to feed, bathe or clothe a nursing home resident. I washed their bedding and towels; read to them and cleaned their toilets and bedrooms. I worked with devoted, selfless men and women who took pride in their jobs, because that job was their passion. Like priests and firefighters, true caregivers are called, not made.

I didn't continue in the caregiver profession, but my sister has spent her entire working life in nursing homes; first as a nurse's aide, and for the past 25 years, as an administrator/owner. She has made unannounced 'visits' to her home in the wee hours, firing staff for sleeping or otherwise not doing their job. She takes her responsibility as a health care and medical provider very seriously, and fights governmental red tape daily.

I am aware of deficiencies and in some instances illegal activities in nursing homes, hospitals, group homes, etc. I just had to speak out for those special people I know who never forget they are entrusted with the care and lives of people.

I was seven when I first visited residents in a nursing home as part of the 'duties' expected of me as a member of my church's prayer group (Catholic). My older sister and I would sit and talk with five different residents each Tuesday evening, telling them about our family and school experiences as well as listening to their stories. I still smile to think of those sweet people, and appreciate the experience of interacting with them as a youngster.

My first job was in the same nursing home I visited. The staff was kind, empathetic, caring and professional. The patients were treated like members of our own family, and we grieved whenever one passed away. We shared in activities, holidays, games and even practical jokes. Many of the residents were a lively bunch, and gave the mostly high school and college-aged staff a run for their money.

We had a softball league comprised of area nursing home staff, and we would load up the activities van with those residents able to attend the games as our cheering section. One resident brought an enormous cowbell to celebrate each of our runs scored, or a good play made. We grew close to families of those residents who had visitors; sadly some residents spent days, months...years without a single visit from family or friend. We staff were the only social contact they had.

I spent many a Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter helping to feed, bathe or clothe a nursing home resident. I washed their bedding and towels; read to them and cleaned their toilets and bedrooms. I worked with devoted, selfless men and women who took pride in their jobs, because that job was their passion. Like priests and firefighters, true caregivers are called, not made.

I didn't continue in the caregiver profession, but my sister has spent her entire working life in nursing homes; first as a nurse's aide, and for the past 25 years, as an administrator/owner. She has made unannounced 'visits' to her home in the wee hours, firing staff for sleeping or otherwise not doing their job. She takes her responsibility as a health care and medical provider very seriously, and fights governmental red tape daily.

I am aware of deficiencies and in some instances illegal activities in nursing homes, hospitals, group homes, etc. I just had to speak out for those special people I know who never forget they are entrusted with the care and lives of people.

:clap::clap: +1 Very nicely written

I have family working in homes too, between my own visits and some of their stories I know you really have to do your homework if you ever need to place a family member or friend. The good people are worth their weight in gold, but there are others too.

Thank you for sharing that story, Beaglebay wuv

I'm not prepared to speak as eloquently as Beaglebay, or anyone, on the subject. I will give my stunted experience.

My folks knew people that owned an 'old folks home' when I was a teen-ager and suggested I spend time there.

Fortunately, it was a good one (small, private, run by compassionate folks) and the people were treated well.

But, man: It was a despressing, shit-filled, psychological mine field. Even as a 16-year-old (presumably indestructible and nary a thought towards my impending demise) it was impossble to negate that the ones that were 'with it' were incessantly trying to trace words that might mean something to them (did I remind them of their husband, a night in RIO, anything) becuase they couldn't speak while I spoon-fed them?

Literally scraping shit out of the seems of chairs, because a women who was once a beautiful girl, who swam and rode a bicycle and got nervous anticipating a kiss and used to listen to her mother read her Hans Christian Andersen stories is now shitting uncontrollably all over the place, in volumns seemingly impossible based on the 200 calories she took in that day?

I couldn't handle it. I'm guessing the folks that paid the place $10,000 a month couldn't either. What about the poor folks that shot guns in WWII, or simply taught school and once drove T-birds in Levittown, etc. Nevermind the ones that weren't fortunate in any way?

Who is looking after them? One of the most beautiful HBO Taxi Cab Confessionals I ever saw was a woman who did such a job. She was rare.

Kind of an unfair attack on the many good nursing homes and many of the fine people staffing the nursing homes for far less money than could be made in a hospital setting. Disclosure on my part is that I am married to an RN who has worked in a nursing home setting for most of her 35 years in nursing. Sure there are bad nursing homes but there are many good ones also.

Kind of an unfair attack on the many good nursing homes and many of the fine people staffing the nursing homes for far less money than could be made in a hospital setting. Disclosure on my part is that I am married to an RN who has worked in a nursing home setting for most of her 35 years in nursing. Sure there are bad nursing homes but there are many good ones also.

If this is directed towards my response, I'd like to express my sincere wish that you'd re-read it as I intended it and not as you initially responded to it. I'm guessing my intention and your response couldn't be more polar opposite.

In short: It's sad what happens to us all. It's admirably beautiful that some people can (I think) tolerate the job (because it is crushingly sad and difficult). To go beyond tolerate (in the sense as to persist without cracking, not in the general 'put up with shit' sense), to the degree to really LOVE, or at least give it it's proper respect is to hope these folks get a person referenced in my (reference to the HBO Taxi Cab confessional. If you've seen it, you'd know. She was an angel, and to me, meant it).

I DO freely admit to having a preternatural disdain for nursing homes. Not for their purpose, but for what I'm guessing is a convenience for families. In many cases, it's needed. For most it isn't. Either way, I wasn't making any judgements on any degree of questioning, nor was I making a judgment on the quality of any facility (from a basic standpoint).

In fact, I was doing the exact opposite.

If this is directed towards my response, I'd like to express my sincere wish that you'd re-read it as I intended it and not as you initially responded to it. I'm guessing my intention and your response couldn't be more polar opposite.

In short: It's sad what happens to us all. It's admirably beautiful that some people can (I think) tolerate the job (because it is crushingly sad and difficult). To go beyond tolerate (in the sense as to persist without cracking, not in the general 'put up with shit' sense), to the degree to really LOVE, or at least give it it's proper respect is to hope these folks get a person referenced in my (reference to the HBO Taxi Cab confessional. If you've seen it, you'd know. She was an angel, and to me, meant it).

I DO freely admit to having a preternatural disdain for nursing homes. Not for their purpose, but for what I'm guessing is a convenience for families. In many cases, it's needed. For most it isn't. Either way, I wasn't making any judgements on any degree of questioning, nor was I making a judgment on the quality of any facility (from a basic standpoint).

I rather suspect he's talking more about my OP than your sad and touching recollections. And I agree to the extent that any attack on any business is always unfair because there are always a lot of people with pride and integrity doing there best every day. It almost goes without saying that the "canned" critisms aren't referring to them, but I'm sure it hurts, nonetheless. This similar to the warranted attacks on public education which attacks must tear the hearts out of some of the greatest people ever.

But that said, the mass warehousing of the skyrocketing population of the elderly has created a disastrous minefield. If any of you are of the age where it's almost time to have find to a place for your parents, you are in for a frightening and difficult journey and I wish you luck. My daughter is probably looking for a place to stick me as we speak. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim.

Apparently, you didn't work in a nursing home in South Florida. Medical malpractice, medical neglect, lazy workers, nursing staff that polish their nails at the nursing station, patients with call lights on for hours at a time, doctors that get paid by Medicare for daily visits, yet most patients have never seen a doctor.

I speak from the experience that I just had this past month with my mother, until I screamed bloody murder, threatened lawsuits and medical board reviews, until I got her discharged.

Yes, inmates get better care than my experience has shown.

South Florida is the last place I want to be when/if I get to that age.
The medical care for the elderly, other than those with the Cadillac plans, is atrocious. They are treated like a giant assembly line.

My mother-in-law (in Palm Beach County) went undiagnosed for several months despite feeling ill enough to need several hospital trips. She was continuously sent home with the "we can't find anything wrong" diagnosis. Within 1 week of being up here, she was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Despite outstanding treatment at Dana Farber, she passed 8 months later. If she had been diagnosed several months earlier, she could have had a couple more years.

Florida sucks!!

Tom and Tim, my poorly written response was not going after either one of you, it was the original article that distrubed me for it's one-sided attack on nursing homes. I am lucky that I live in a state with strict laws that protect the residents of these homes and make them better places to live. Sorry for the misunderstanding and poor writing in my response.

Tom and Tim, my poorly written response was not going after either one of you, it was the original article that distrubed me for it's one-sided attack on nursing homes. I am lucky that I live in a state with strict laws that protect the residents of these homes and make them better places to live. Sorry for the misunderstanding and poor writing in my response.
No poor writing - unless by me. i understood it to be the quoted part of what I put up. I surely didn't take it personally in the least, it was appropriate and valid and no apology is needed. But I personally appreciated the one-sided attack on the modern American Penal institution. :)

Cheers

I deliver the Newspapers to a Nursing Home, and it seems like a real nice place,but I never see any Seniors, but I notice they have their own Funeral Pallor right next to the lobby........ Gee I think the last place I would want to go is a Nursing Home with its own Funeral Facilities... The last thing I need to be reminded of is death nipping at my toes...

I deliver the Newspapers to a Nursing Home, and it seems like a real nice place,but I never see any Seniors, but I notice they have their own Funeral Pallor right next to the lobby........ Gee I think the last place I would want to go is a Nursing Home with its own Funeral Facilities... The last thing I need to be reminded of is death nipping at my toes...
Sounds more like biting you in the ass.

Cheers

Back