QB prospects

midgar8784

Reaction score
I was watching a bit of film on the QB's coming out, or at least 3 of them. McCarron, Bortles, and Bridgewater. Now I basically just watched 3 games, it was the hurried up versions that just shows their throws....Here is at least what I saw.

McCarron - Honestly he looked the best of the 3, I know that is not the popular thing, but he did. He seemed locked in on every throw, pressure or not, he knew where he was going and knew how to get to his second read quickly. Made all of the throws, had good touch and lots and lots of accuracy. Short, long, did not matter....he just seemed to see the field so well. Decision making and decisive throws. I also liked that he throws low on short passes...had a longer than normal wind-up, but not sure how much it would hurt him at the next level.

Bortles - This one was a bit tougher because he was playing South Carolina, but he seems to get out pressure really well, moves well, but seems to lack something on his arm. He reminded me a bit of Rivers. It seemed like he could get the ball down the field ok, but seemed to short arm some. His accuracy was a bit odd...like it would be complete on a slant, but not where it should have been...that kind of thing where if he hits him in stride its a big gain, but as it is, its a 8 yarder...Did not get great protection, so again its hard to see a lot so you try to look at it that way and how he would handle it, but it almost seemed like he reacted to pressure rather than had a plan if pressure came, if that makes sense.

Bridgewater - Great speed good movement, has a strong arm....but, he is what I call a high thrower, all of his passes seem high, like he does not place the ball as much as throw it. He also seems to react to pressure that is not there and starts running, where all he would have to do is step over and it would be blocked. His receivers make a lot of tough catches. Its almost like you are watching it and saying, man that would have been killed in the NFL....he needs to get the ball down a lot, he is going to get receivers killed and get a lot of tipped ints. He does make plays with his feet, but I was trying to move see what he did from the pocket and things like that.

If they are coachable, any of those guys would be an asset to any team.

I read Manziel is studying Brady's games to impress O'Brien at the combine.

If they are coachable, any of those guys would be an asset to any team.

I read Manziel is studying Brady's games to impress O'Brien at the combine.

I am kind of on the McCarron Bandwagon now, I hope we grab him. I hate when the knock on a guy is that he played for a good team, which is what I get about him....I will watch a few other games from these guys. I have seen a lot of games from Manziel, who is very impressive, I just question if it can translate to the NFL, but then you can say that about anyone.

I'm not spending too much time looking at QBs in the draft, because even though it's the 'most' important position, I find trying to gauge their potential in and transition to the NFL boring, especially when compared to analyzing defensive players.

I'm not spending too much time looking at QBs in the draft, because even though it's the 'most' important position, I find trying to gauge their potential in and transition to the NFL boring, especially when compared to analyzing defensive players.

Probably why it has the biggest success to failure rate. Ok, I will whip up a defensive guys I like in the draft thread shortly, right now I am trying to get the new server up and going, which I have spent 4 sundays on....good thing football season is over.

I have said for some time now that McCarron would be my choice of those in the draft this year. Manziel seems to be a bust waiting to happen. Bortles is supposedly on the Texicant's radar.

I have said for some time now that McCarron would be my choice of those in the draft this year. Manziel seems to be a bust waiting to happen. Bortles is supposedly on the Texicant's radar.

Its hard to get a read on Bortles, I am not sure the team he is on is that great, but he does remind me a bit of Rivers. I like the way he is though, he said he is going to do everything at the combine. I like that. Just watching McCarron, he just seems like he has a better handle on things, and his reactions to things that are happening are more about between his ears than his legs...I think he will be more NFL ready quicker if he is given that chance.

Its hard to get a read on Bortles, I am not sure the team he is on is that great, but he does remind me a bit of Rivers. I like the way he is though, he said he is going to do everything at the combine. I like that. Just watching McCarron, he just seems like he has a better handle on things, and his reactions to things that are happening are more about between his ears than his legs...I think he will be more NFL ready quicker if he is given that chance.
I agree and hope he does not go to your team. :jester: or the Jags...or the Titans...or the Texans.

I would love to see Mallett get traded to Houston and we could draft McCarron. He's a great game manager and more of a pocket passer in the Brady mold but can run when he has to. I think it would be a good situation for us, and should Brady retire in a few years, McCarron would make a very good replacement, IMO.

There are not many people who agree with me, but I've liked McCarron for a long time now.

I would love to see Mallett get traded to Houston and we could draft McCarron. He's a great game manager and more of a pocket passer in the Brady mold but can run when he has to. I think it would be a good situation for us, and should Brady retire in a few years, McCarron would make a very good replacement, IMO.

There are not many people who agree with me, but I've liked McCarron for a long time now.

I agree with you, not that I'm any authority on the matter...

As big of a Brady fan as I am...McCarron is who I want at this point to be his successor in a couple years. I just like his game and his attitude. I think he gets it. I could be wrong, but he seems to be different than the other guys in the draft and to me is more NFL ready than any of them.

Back