QBR:The Official thread

the Powerball is up to 1.5 billion dollars if you divide that by 300 million yo get a little over $4 and change. Some idiot thought everybody would get a little bit more than that like millions more. And a whole lot of other idiots fell for it. Like the idiot that fell for all the propaganda on ESPN:coffee:

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Stop making stupid threads .

No king this is a good thread trust me.ROFL

Stop making stupid threads .

<TABLE id=post2313337 class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD id=td_post_2313337 class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid">Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Hootie2485
Here's a better example:

Derek Carr.

For two years, on your sister site at CP, a lot of members have bitched about the Chiefs not taking Derek Carr. Talking heads have been all over Derek Carr as a franchise QB. But he isn't. He's nowhere close. In fact, he's actually quite bad.

This is why I like QBR. He was the 23rd rated QB in the NFL. He was below replacement level on the QBR scale. And it's true. But people who don't watch him look at his "flashy" numbers and the occasional flashy pass and conclude, "franchise QB." The truth is, the NFL has very little learning curve for young guys now. The rules are too offense friendly. You come into the league, and you either have it, or you don't. Derek Carr does not have it.

Derek Carr is the reason the Chiefs made the playoffs. KC was in Oakland weeks back and Oakland had the game won ... it was a 2nd and 10 and they blew a coverage on a Crabtree cross route where Crabtree walks into the end zone to go up 2 scores in the 4th and Carr flat out sailed the pass 10 yards over his head ... a 7 yard crossing route. Flat out miss. A JV level pass ... next play he throws an ugly forced "fumble pick" where Muaga runs it to the 1 and the Chiefs tie it up, and then follow it up with a pick 6 on the following drive.

no one remembers that, though ... as after the game the same contingent still pined for Derek Carr and still clamored him as a franchise QB ... he isn't .. it will never happen.

He's not good. He'll never be good.

Two years in, he's been a terrible rated QB via QBR, too. Yet some people think he's a franchise QB. It's so laughable.

I like QBR because it generally backs up what I'm watching ... it passes the "smell" test for me. Again, it's my opinion, and I'm not one to pretend opinion is fact.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Please do us a favor.....Start a new thread about QBR so we don't have to pollute this thread with it. You have no chance to convince anyone here that it's nothing more than an ESPN propaganda creation.

It would be better to get this thread back on the rails and discuss the upcoming game.

<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" vAlign=bottom><!-- sig -->__________________
"There is no future. There is no past. Thank God this moment's not the last.
There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret or life is yours to miss.
No other road, no other way, no day but today!" -Rent

8/21/06
<!-- / sig --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid"></TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 0px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>East there fella. Just trying my part to make this a better place.

is the only example of QBR being ESPN propaganda the Weeden game? Is that when Patriots fans decided QBR was useless? Asking for a friend

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

PBR, or whatever it is, is idiotic. The stat I care about is W or L. Brady, despite his QVC rating, is the best in this most important stat.

I'd agree, but then I watched Matt Cassel win 11 games with the Patriots, which subjected me to 4 years of misery ...

See, the Pats owe KC a win on Saturday ... it's the least they could do for Pioli / Cassel / Crennel

Didn't Cassel get you to the playoffs?

Sent from my Enigma Device

is the only example of QBR being ESPN propaganda the Weeden game? Is that when Patriots fans decided QBR was useless? Asking for a friend

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

I'd agree, but then I watched Matt Cassel win 11 games with the Patriots, which subjected me to 4 years of misery ...

See, the Pats owe KC a win on Saturday ... it's the least they could do for Pioli / Cassel / Crennel
No one on the Patriots forced K C to hire them.

No one on the Patriots forced K C to hire them.

well it would have been nice if someone would have let the rest of the NFL / college football know that the real talent was BB and Brady ... and no one else. At all. Ever.

Jerks !

To be fair, at the time, we all thought Pioli was pretty good and were sad to see him go.

To be fair, at the time, we all thought Pioli was pretty good and were sad to see him go.

I wasn't sad to see him go because I thought is drafting was questinable. If you noticed our drafting improved once he left.

there was a pretty funny thread on your sister site earlier this year when the Falcons were 5-0 that was trying to credit Pioli with the turnaround ...

No and No.

In terms of it being the only example, BY FAR no. There's also
http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/11/espns_qbr_gave_aaron_rodgers_7.html
in terms of one of the most egregious ones.

And in terms of it being reviled, it's not just by Pats fans. Here's something from the Packers fans
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...s-bill-polian-qbr-championship-indicators-ypa

You already read the one on Charlie Batch, there's plenty more where that comes from.

pbr_can.jpg

For those of you who still think passer rating is also seriously flawed, I'd have you take a look at this old Kerry Byrne article.
Kerry took that often criticized stat and taught us how to use it.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/passer-rating-differential-the-mother-all-stats/7893/

Passer Rating Differential was introduced by Cold, Hard Football Facts before the 2009 season and was an instant statistical home run: the Saints dominated the indicator and went on to win the Super Bowl. Passer Rating Differential is obtained by subtracting a team's Defensive Passer Rating from its Offensive Passer Rating. Passer Rating Differential is based on the theory that passer rating, though difficult to calculate, has proven to have an extremely high correlation to success. Teams with a high Passer Rating Differential are generally successful. Teams with a low Passer Rating Differential are generally very bad.

Put most simply, Passer Rating Differential is the closest thing there is to a "mother stat" of football success. We wrote in great detail about its historic importance at the end of the 2010 season. A couple key points:
69 of 71 NFL champions since 1940 were on the plus side of Passer Rating Differential
The average NFL champion since 1940 was an incredible +27.4 in Passer Rating Differential (82.3 - 54.9)
The Super Bowl champion 2010 Packers were just above the historic norm, at +31.7 in PRD (98.9 - 67.2)
33 of 71 NFL champions led the NFL in either Offensive Passer Rating, Defensive Passer Rating, or both
We created Passer Rating Differential at the start of the 2009 season in an effort to prove a Cold, Hard Football Facts maxim that winning in the NFL is all about the passing game.

Well, our instinct has proven remarkably correct, as it so often is ... because our instincts are fueled by facts. Passer Rating Differential has proven an incredibly accurate indicator of team-wide success.

The Saints topped the indicator in 2009, its first year of existence. The Saints won the Super Bowl. The Packers topped the indicator in 2010. The Packers won the Super Bowl, too.

A few other teams jump off the year-end Passer Rating Differential list:

New England
The Patriots boasted a regular-seasaon best 14-2 record. They finished No. 2 in Passer Rating Differential. Season-long dominance in the passing game ultimately didn't help them: the top-seeded Patriots were bounced by the Jets in the divisional playoffs. But even the exception proves the rule. The Jets beat the Patriots because they dominated the passing battles that evening.

San Diego
The 2010 Chargers, as we noted many times during the season, were one of the great anomalies in all of NFL history: a truly dominant statistical team in so many ways that simply could not get it done in crunch time on the field. That dominance was evident in their performance in Passer Rating Differential, behind only the champion Packers and 14-2 Patriots at +25.71). Yet they ended the year 9-7 and didn't even reach the playoffs. No stat is perfect, of course. There are always anomalies. But San Diego has an across-the-board statistical anomaly for the ages. They need to learn to win soon because the window of superior talent only lasts so long in the NFL.

Tampa Bay
Keep your eyes on the Bucs in 2011. They had a nice 10-6 season but missed the playoffs in the top-heavy NFC South. Still, they quietly have one of the bright young quarterbacks in the game in Josh Freeman (25 TD, 6 INT, 95.6 passer rating in 2010) and they posted a very solid pass defense last year (No. 7 in Defensive Passer Rating at 77.6). Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but with a few improvements, this is a very dangerous team that could conceivably win 13 or 14 games in 2011.

And PS: When did Kerry get assimilated into Football Nation?

Cheers, BostonTim

Back