R.I.P. Elie Wiesel

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
http://www.bu.edu/today/2016/elie-wiesel-obituary/

A riveting speaker. Went to his fall lectures once plus had the honor of having him spend a two hour session discussing his masterpiece Night (and his life at Auschwitz) at a state sponsored Dept of Ed Summer Content Institute Course in Comp Literatures with about twelve of us present. As close to life altering as it can get.

A man of Peace who devoted his life to peace and never stopped questing for it. A life that made a difference. A life well lived.

Requiescat in Pace.

BostonTim

I heard one of his lectures broadcast on NPR, saw him interviewed a number of times and he always had such poignant things to say about humanity. Think I'll be checking out more of his lectures on Youtube and maybe reading one of his books.

Wiesel lived through Auschwitz as a teen, where his parents and siblings were killed, but rather than having that make him look bleakly on life, found a deeper, profound perspective. Became pretty much the world's face for concentration camp survivors, won the Nobel Peace Prize, was a professor at B.U. for decades.

He experienced humanity at it's worst, but then used that experience to represent humanity at it's best. I put him up there with Gandhi and Martin Luther King as being someone who "got it" and was able to communicate that well to others.

R.I.P.

I heard one of his lectures broadcast on NPR, saw him interviewed a number of times and he always had such poignant things to say about humanity. Think I'll be checking out more of his lectures on Youtube and maybe reading one of his books.

Wiesel lived through Auschwitz as a teen, where his parents and siblings were killed, but rather than having that make him look bleakly on life, found a deeper, profound perspective. Became pretty much the world's face for concentration camp survivors, won the Nobel Peace Prize, was a professor at B.U. for decades.

He experienced humanity at it's worst, but then used that experience to represent humanity at it's best. I put him up there with Gandhi and Martin Luther King as being someone who "got it" and was able to communicate that well to others.

R.I.P.

Well said.

I am a BU grad and tried every year I was there to get into his history class. I was always on the wait list and never got in. One of my biggest regrets in life was not taking that course.

I needed a book to take to the beach yesterday and I grabbed "Night" off the bookshelf. It was one of the more important books I've ever read. In some ways I am still digesting it. I think I will need to read the rest of the trilogy.

A wise man indeed.

He espoused Pacifism. That nonsense would mean the Hitlerites stayed in power.

He espoused Pacifism. That nonsense would mean the Hitlerites stayed in power.

One thing about the world today that doesn't resonate with me is the tendency to seemingly dismiss those with different politics. Having read him and met him I find him to be a good man relentlessly committed to his beliefs. I personally prefer to value his life on the occasion of his death by more importent things than whether I agreed with his politics. Jmo.

BostonTim

One thing about the world today that doesn't resonate with me is the tendency to seemingly dismiss those with different politics. Having read him and met him I find him to be a good man relentlessly committed to his beliefs. I personally prefer to value his life on the occasion of his death by more importent things than whether I agreed with his politics. Jmo.

BostonTim
Or to think/believe that one political term/word with many different connotations completely defined a person's life. smh.

There are few people who leave the world better than the way they found it, Wiesel is one of those rare individuals.

Back