Rookie CB Gay making an impression on Pats

PA_PATS_FAN54*

Reaction score
Website
www.a2zpa.com
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13190161&BRD=1712&PAG=461&dept_id=106787&rfi=6

FOXBORO -- Randall Gay made it onto New England’s veteran-laden roster this summer as an undrafted rookie free agent. Now he’s making a case for more playing time on Bill Belichick’s defense.

A 5-foot-11 cornerback who played under Nick Saban at Louisiana State, Gay impressed the Patriots coaching staff with his speed and fundamentals during training camp, so they kept him over veteran Terrell Buckley, who got released and eventually signed with the Jets.

Advertisement

Gay has played primarily on third down as a nickel back and on special teams. He recorded his first career interception two weeks ago against Miami and is developing a reputation as a fast learner.

"Randall’s not the most experienced guy, so there are a lot of things he just hasn’t seen or has only seen a few times relative to more experienced players, but he’s picking it up quickly," Belichick said. "He comes from a good system and was well-coached in college. Fundamentally, he’s a pretty solid and sound player.

"We’ve used him in a number of different spots and he’s seemed to pick that up well, and he’s been fairly productive when he’s been on the field in the kicking game and on defense. As players get playing time, if they’re productive, they’ll probably get more playing time, and if they’re less productive, they’ll probably get less playing time."

Veteran cornerback Ty Law, who took a more direct route to the NFL 10 years ago when the Patriots drafted him with the 23rd pick out of Michigan in 1995, likes Gay because he’s humble.

"He’s been doing great," Law said. "He’s one of those rookies you like. He’s not one of those rookies who makes you say, ‘Would you please shut up?’ He’s just one of those guys who comes out to play. He’s eager to learn. He asks questions. He’s very level-headed and you look forward to helping a guy like that. He made some great plays against Miami and helped us win. We’re going to give him a couple of more games and he won’t be a rookie anymore because he’s been thrown into the fire. It’ll get even harder this week."

With Tyrone Poole hobbling from a knee injury and Asante Samuel playing out of his normal slot position to compensate, Gay’s role may increase this weekend against the undefeated Jets. Wide receiver Santana Moss is expected to be back in the lineup, and with Justin McCareins and Wayne Chrebet currently having already combined for more than 350 yards, the Patriots might have to play a lot of nickel coverage on Sunday.

"If (Gay) continues to be productive -- and that doesn’t mean five interceptions, it means do your job as a defensive back and covering the guy -- then he’ll get more playing time," Belichick said. "That’s the same for everybody."

Sam done for year

The Patriots placed rookie wide receiver P.K. Sam on injured reserve Wednesday with a groin injury.

Sam, 21, was selected by the Patriots in the fifth round with the 164th overall pick of this year’s draft. The 6-foot-3-inch, 210-pound receiver played in two games, but did not catch any passes. He was inactive on Sunday against Seattle after injuring his groin in practice. Sam also pulled his hamstring during the summer and missed over a month of training camp.

His absence could lead to more playing time on offense for newcomer Kevin Kasper or Bethel Johnson, who hauled in a 48-yard catch in the fourth quarter last weekend to help the Patriots beat the Seahawks. When asked if Johnson will be featured more, Belichick said, "If he’s open."

Supporting cast

Two years ago, former Patriots defensive tackle Steve Martin -- also an ex-Jet -- blasted New York center Kevin Mawae, calling him a "dirty player." Mawae didn’t help his reputation last weekend, getting penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct for clubbing 49ers tackle Tony Brown in the head with the cast he’s been wearing since breaking his right hand in Week 2.

In addition to his reputation as a dirty player, Mawae -- a five-time Pro Bowler -- is regarded as one of the best centers in the league.

"We could be here all day if we’re talking about a guy like him," defensive end Ty Warren said. "He’s definitely the focus of that offensive line. He does everything from moving guys in front of him to pulling guys. He plays hard. I mean, how many times do you see a center pulling? Usually, you see guards doing that. He’s a special player."

Growing pains

Tackle Tom Ashworth and fullback Patrick Pass were the only surprise additions to this week’s injury report. Ashworth is listed as questionable with a back injury. Pass is questionable after injuring his thigh last weekend. There were no other major changes -- wide receiver Deion Branch (knee) is still doubtful, while fellow receiver Troy Brown (shoulder) and cornerback Tyrone Poole (knee) are questionable. Running back Rabih Abdullah (arm) and quarterbacks Tom Brady (shoulder) and Jim Miller (shoulder) are probable. ... For the Jets, fullback B.J. Askew is questionable with a shoulder injury. Right guard Brandon Moore (hamstring), left guard Pete Kendall (toe) and wide receiver Santana Moss (hamstring) are probable. Free safety Rashad Washington (foot) and cornerback Derrick Strait (foot) will not play. Middle linebacker Sam Cowart (knee) is questionable. ... Running back Cedric Cobbs and linebacker Matt Chatham are eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list and begin practicing with the team, but no transactions were made Wednesday despite the open roster spot left by Sam’s move to injured reserve.

What was the bet on being able to buy Gay jerseys again? :D

I can already see the Randall Gay jersey sent from Dallas, Texas to Seattle Washington.

It's LOVE, I tell you!

Flagg Wanderer said:
I can already see the Randall Gay jersey sent from Dallas, Texas to Seattle Washington.

It's LOVE, I tell you!

I know we've had this discussion before, but thought it was necessary to point out that his name plate is actually "Gay"....as opposed to "R. Gay" or Randall Gay" or any other combos we came up with.

A couple more picks and you might be able to grab it in the pro-shop.

BobKraftsCoozie said:
I know we've had this discussion before, but thought it was necessary to point out that his name plate is actually "Gay"....as opposed to "R. Gay" or Randall Gay" or any other combos we came up with.

I know I'm going to buy it when it becomes available.

Megasaurass said:
I know I'm going to buy it when it becomes available.
        ROFL   :LOL:   :D   :LOL:   ROFL
Glad to see you have a good sense of humor.
________
fake weed

BobKraftsCoozie said:

Any chance his middle name is Ulysses?

R.U. Gay

Back