Ryan Allen named AFC Special Teams player of the week

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000711287/article/wentz-siemian-top-week-3-players-of-the-week

Patriots punter Ryan Allen had a phenomenal game in New England's 27-0 shutout of the Texans. It was so good Bill Belichick couldn't help but laud him for it as Allen pinned Houston inside the 15-yard line six times. This was a major reason why the Texans didn't cross midfield until the final minutes of the third quarter, and why Allen is the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.
If ever one deserved it.

Great job.

Cheers

He did a phenomenal job of pinning them back.

From Reiss via Disney Sports. I was wondering about this myself.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots punter Ryan Allen was named AFC special teams player of the week in an effort that was widely praised in Thursday’s 27-0 win over the Houston Texans, but not everyone was entirely pleased.

As CBS television cameras showed, Bill Belichick let Allen have it on the sidelines after his final attempt late in the fourth quarter, which was fair caught at the 4-yard line.

I was curious about the exchange and asked Allen about it Wednesday.
“Even though we had a good night, at the end of the game, if I’m asked to get it out of bounds – it doesn’t matter if it’s 10 yards, 20 yards -- he wants it out of bounds. On that particular rep, I didn’t get it out of bounds,” Allen explained.

“It’s not a matter of the result; it’s a matter of what could have happened, which I totally understand. I obviously need to fix that.”

Allen said he didn’t swing around enough on the attempt, as he has a natural draw to his right side when he hits an end-over-end ball.

This type of hard coaching is classic Belichick, as it came with the Patriots leading 27-0 and 1:15 remaining in regulation. The game wasn’t in doubt. And the result of the play was favorable, capping what most seemed to think was a great night for Allen.

But it’s all about the process, and to Belichick, that could come back and hurt the Patriots in a different situation.

“I think that goes to show you there are no plays taken off,” Allen relayed, when asked about the hard coaching style of Belichick. “There’s nothing wrong with hitting a shorter ball out of bounds, because we’ve all seen plays from past years where the returner gets it and the game’s close, and there is a significant difference in the outcome just because of that reason.”

That's why Bill is the best there is. Allen was superb but he had correctly been asked to punt the ball out of bounds. He didn't do it and no matter that he had a great game, Bill is not one to drop his standards or demands, so let him have it. Other coaches would have said squat and would have taken the attitude that he had a rest game so deserved a pass. Not our Bill!

Back