Shefter Reporting Pats to Sign Emmanuel Sanders to an Offer Sheet

Have details of the offer sheet leaked yet? Dollars/years?

I want this to be true. IF what a read it right it only cost the pats a 3rd round pick. Make the deal Brady needs a big fast WR. WE got Jones & Amendola to handle the short to medium routes.

Have details of the offer sheet leaked yet? Dollars/years?

If there actually IS an offer sheet.....

The Steelers tendered Sanders at the "original round" level, meaning $1.323M for 2013, so the Pats have to beat that at a minimum. According to what I see on the SteelersDepot site, they're about $3M under the cap (though I don't know who they may have left to re-sign). So, if the Pats want to be certain to force the exchange, they'd need to offer Sanders $4.3M for 2013 ($3M + the $1.323 tender amount currently on their books). In practical reality, offering Sanders $2.5M to $3.0M (for 2013, with higher amounts for 2014 and later) would probably do it.

However, after figuring in the Donald Jones and Adrian Wilson deals, the Pats themselves will likely be around $10M in remaining cap space with Talib and Vollmer yet to re-sign. Subtract another $2M-$3M and things are starting to get pretty tight.

They could clear up more cap space if they release Lloyd before next week . Offer him a 3 year 20 Mill contact should do the trick.

BTW, if the Sanders thing doesn't work out, the Titans are shopping Nate Washington. He's been a solid "supporting cast" type WR for a few years with decent ability to work outside the numbers and get deep once in awhile. The Final two years on his contract are $4.2M and $4.8M. Might cost the Pats a 2014 5th-rounder. The could rework his contract to knock his 2013 cap hit down to $2M or so while adding a year onto the end and giving him a $5M payday through bonus money and guaranteeing part of his 2014 salary.

Use the money on Dumerville. Sanders is another WR who can't go deep and has drop issues. No thanks.

Use the money on Dumerville. Sanders is another WR who can't go deep and has drop issues. No thanks.

Depends on what you define as "deep". If you're talking about 30+ yds downfield, no. But, in 2012, Sanders (who lined up pretty much at every spot) posted a 14.2 YPC on 11 20+ yarders with a 60% catch rate (slightly above league average for that YPC).

Depends on what you define as "deep". If you're talking about 30+ yds downfield, no. But, in 2012, Sanders (who lined up pretty much at every spot) posted a 14.2 YPC on 11 20+ yarders with a 60% catch rate (slightly above league average for that YPC).

Most of his yards were YAC, which is great, but I think we need someone who can spread the field. Have Lloyd outside the numbers, Amendola in the slot and someone who can burn.

If BB signs this guy, we'll have only 3 draft picks next year (1,2, and 7th rounders). Screw it, sign him, it'll piss off Steeler fans

I think if Sanders is signed Lloyd is gone. If that happens we would have Sanders and Amendola on the outside, Ahern on the slot or as a TE, Gronk and Ballard down the middle. I'd be good with that.

Most of his yards were YAC, which is great, but I think we need someone who can spread the field. Have Lloyd outside the numbers, Amendola in the slot and someone who can burn.

If BB signs this guy, we'll have only 3 draft picks next year (1,2, and 7th rounders). Screw it, sign him, it'll piss off Steeler fans

Actually, no. His 195 YAC in 2012 was about 31%, much lower than Gronk, Ahern and Welker - or even Mike Wallace, and about average for his YPC.

Actually, no. His 195 YAC in 2012 was about 31%, much lower than Gronk, Ahern and Welker - or even Mike Wallace, and about average for his YPC.

The guy from the PIttsburgh Post Gazette was on the radio a few minutes ago and that's how he described him.

I think if Sanders is signed Lloyd is gone. If that happens we would have Sanders and Amendola on the outside, Ahern on the slot or as a TE, Gronk and Ballard down the middle. I'd be good with that.

Amendola on the outside is a complete fail. Gotta keep him in the slot.

The guy from the PIttsburgh Post Gazette was on the radio a few minutes ago and that's how he described him.

ESPN Stats could be in error, but they have Sanders at over 600 receiving yards and under 200 YAC. Like I said, that's somewhere around the league average for that YPC. so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

I've seen a lot of media reports this off-season about Wallace claiming he's a "no-YAC deep threat only". That was certainly true in 2009, but became less and less true each year after that as he expanded his route portfolio and his YPC dropped because he was catching more short-intermediate range passes. Sometimes reporters never update their initial impression of a guy.

So, Sanders may have had a higher YAC% as a rookie when his YPC was actually lower. That also follows what's typical around the league - the lower a guy's YPC, the higher his YAC%. Guys who ave a high YPC and a fairly high YAC%, like Calvin Johnson, are very rare.

Amendola on the outside is a complete fail. Gotta keep him in the slot.

This is also incorrect. He definitely won't be a deep threat, but he's very capable of working the outside. He's capable of beating a CB in 1 on 1 on a streak pattern on the outside or a deep post (has great agility). He is more versatile on the field than Welker was.

Back