So long to Jared Allen

HOF yay or nay?

I'd say no, he's "hall of very good", but HOF is so watered down IMO that who knows anymore?

Great player during his career. I did wish he would try & sign with the pats. Anyone can make the HOF since dungry made it .

JT is eligible next year, now that dude should be first ballot.
He's the poster child for a flower among trash...in other words, a player so great that his team's consistent suckitude couldn't even hold him down.
The man won DPOY for having a ridiculous amount of sacks in a year when his team's run defense was so bad that no one ever had to pass to beat them...and, again, the whole team was not good.

He's the poster child for a flower among trash...in other words, a player so great that his team's consistent suckitude couldn't even hold him down.
The man won DPOY for having a ridiculous amount of sacks in a year when his team's run defense was so bad that no one ever had to pass to beat them...and, again, the whole team was not good.

His brother in law wasn't exactly terrible...

you are correct that as a team miami was not so good overall, but they had a very good D for most of JT career. Miami was a top 11 or better in total defense in 7 of his 15 seasons.

As for as his dpoy year in 2006 he had 13.5 sacks which is real good but it was his eye popping 11 passes defended, 2 pick 6 ints, and 9 forced fumbles as a defensive end that won him that award. Oh and miami was ranked 5th in total D and 8th in rushing D in 06 giving up only a very respectable 3.5 yards per carry

BB was always a big fan of Taylor. He was micced up a few years back and you can see the respect he had for Taylor after the game when he told Taylor, "You're going to the hall of fame buddy". Taylor had a lot of time for BB as well.

you are correct that as a team miami was not so good overall, but they had a very good D for most of JT career. Miami was a top 11 or better in total defense in 7 of his 15 seasons.

As for as his dpoy year in 2006 he had 13.5 sacks which is real good but it was his eye popping 11 passes defended, 2 pick 6 ints, and 9 forced fumbles as a defensive end that won him that award. Oh and miami was ranked 5th in total D and 8th in rushing D in 06 giving up only a very respectable 3.5 yards per carry

Interesting. My memory could be bad or perhaps I was going by yards total (Run D wise) since it looks like you mentioned YPC.

He and Ware are the two main guys I would have loved to see in a BB defense.

I'd say no, he's "hall of very good", but HOF is so watered down IMO that who knows anymore?

I find it funny that 2 of the most vaunted achievements in football (Pro Bowl and HOF) aren't exactly a direct representation of talent/achievement.

Interesting. My memory could be bad or perhaps I was going by yards total (Run D wise) since it looks like you mentioned YPC.

He and Ware are the two main guys I would have loved to see in a BB defense.

good call they both would have been real good in a BB D.

I find it funny that 2 of the most vaunted achievements in football (Pro Bowl and HOF) aren't exactly a direct representation of talent/achievement.
IMO the reason is that they are both too much of a "popularity contest". Fans voting for PB (I refuse ever to do it because I think fans shouldn't vote for it, and certainly should not be able to stuff ballot boxes so to speak if they want to make it a real ability indicator), makes it more meaningless which is why I was surprised Malcolm Butler deservedly and probably somewhat accidentally due to his high profile INT in SB 49 made it his first year as a starter. Most guys in his situation (first year starter playing at a very high level)would normally not make it for years. To clarify I am speaking of the "first team PB" not the mercyfvck nature of what it disintigrates into when the choice #1-24 at each position all decline due to "injuries".

Having to kiss media ass to get HOF votes is a "great player who is an ass" killer (see Haley, Charles). I don't think character should have any role whatsoever in the HOF. I mean, unless they want to remove OJ's bust in retrospect and LT's too. I think the only semi character thing that should remove a guy is PED users, consistent ones, but there is no real test right now so forget it.

good call they both would have been real good in a BB D.
Yeah I remember when Saban took over in Mia I screamed, knowing how much greater he/his defense would make JT as a player. And we got a small glimpse of Ware as a "Patriot" when he played for Parcells. My love for them as players predated any of those glimpses though. Imagine having Ware ready to go when Willie Mac was let to walk (as with Wilfork when they had Traylor that one year?)??? Ooofff.

Back