The 53, Pre-season, Take-1

Likely GONE:

√Bulman - wouldn't add anything the rest of the way, but Harrison/Forston may need a longer look
√Warren - going to the shadow roster, anyway
Tracy White - been out injured for a long time - is IR a possibility? If not, possibly gone early.

Maybe not yet:

√Stallworth - depends on Gaffney's injury status
Koppen - depends on Waters' return, especially with McDonald now dinged-up
Allen - both Chung and Gregory are dinged-up and he's a superior alternative to Brown, Barrett, Ventrone and Martin (and maybe even Ihedigbo)
Donald Thomas - seems to have been among the best reserve Guards thru Camp/pre-season (and McDonald is dinged up)
McDonald - certainly seems to have Hochstein-like versatility

Not likely gone:
Branch stays.

Other vets who might be gone, but weren't mentioned:
Harrison
Ihedigbo
Holley

+ Larsen, so far.

Here's a table from NEPDraft to use when figuring the 53

Click on graphic for full size. (Credit: NEPatriotsDraft.com)

<center>
</center>

I haven't been impressed with any of the LBs (4-3 edition) outside of the top three. Unless they expect White to return soon, I won't be surprised if they make a waiver claim or two at that spot.

I'm wondering if BB will switch Aiken with newly released Lonnie Paxton.

Bedard's stab at who he thinks BB will select for the 53.

By Greg A. Bedard, Globe Staff
Took my first stab at the Patriots' "final" 53-man roster in the paper last week.
I put that in parenthesis because the chances are high the Patriots will look at the waiver wire to see if they can improve in a spot or two (offensive tackle, special teams linebacker). The Patriots' roster, as with most teams, is a work in progress and not static.
Here's my second go at the final 53, and you'll notice a couple surprising names. This is the roster I project the Patriots to pick, not what I would do. I'll explain my rationale below. Names in purple are game day inactives.

Some notes:

• The two big names are RB Danny Woodhead, and DE Jermaine Cunningham. They, along with OG Donald Thomas, WR Julian Edelman, TE Visanthe Shiancoe, LB Tracy White, LB Jeff Tarpinian and CB Alfonzo Dennard represent the true bubble boys.
  • I have Brian Waters on the team. Until he retires or he doesn't show up the week of the first game, I'm keeping him there. If Waters does not return, that frees up a spot on offense, and not necessarily the line. I'd keep Woodhead and have some linemen ready on practice squad.
  • Another big wild card is Shiancoe. I have no idea about his medicals, but the team did pay him a $400,000 bonus -- almost as much as Deion Branch and Jabar Gaffney combined ($500,000). How much more money can the Patriots eat after Jonathan Fanene?
  • If the Patriots cut their losses with Shiancoe, then Woodhead is back on the team.
  • My thinking on Woodhead: With Jeff Demps' arrival, Woodhead is the only running back not on special teams. Undrafted RB Brandon Bolden is all over them. Do I think Woodhead should be on the team? Absolutely. To me, it's either Woodhead or Bolden, and my gut tells me the team is leaning more towards Bolden. It's a long shot, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Patriots took a hard look at Shane Vereen's spot. He has underwhelmed since he got here. Vereen will likely get another year, but you never know.
  • What about Woodhead's role as third-down back? Sure seems like a good spot for one of the many tight ends, especially Hernandez. Demps is going to be thrown in there as well. So how many snaps is Woodhead going to get?
  • As for Cunningham, it comes down to him or Trevor Scott for me. And, again, Scott has the edge on special teams. These are the types of discussions the Patriots will be having at final cutdown. Personally, I'd keep Cunningham and Scott -- and cut LB Jeff Tarpinian, but he's on three of the four core special teams units. It seems like special teams coach Scotty O'Brien loves Tarpinian, who has assumed many of Dane Fletcher's roles.http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...08/road_to_53_vol.html?camp=misc:on:twit:pats
Woodhead is on my team
Shiancoe is not

These last few cuts will be tough.

Bedard's stab at who he thinks BB will select for the 53.

Woodhead is on my team
Shiancoe is not

These last few cuts will be tough.

Am I the only one who thinks that Brandon Bolden is pedestrian at best?

Woodhead is a lock. Even if not, Demps isn't remotely close to being a factor in any decision around his chances.

I'll be shocked if all three of Carp, Tarp and Kouts makes the team. Frankly, I won't be surprised if none of them make it, and NE dips into the waiver pool.

Woodhead is a lock. Even if not, Demps isn't remotely close to being a factor in any decision around his chances.

Agree. If for no other reason than they don't have any other experienced RBs. As much as I'm loathe to see the human speedbump in pass pro again this year - he does have a role in the offense, and fills it pretty well.

Am I the only one who thinks that Brandon Bolden is pedestrian at best?

He's had his moments, but I haven't seen anything out of him that past nobodies have flashed. He certainly hasn't lived up to the camp reports in the games, though I thought he looked better this past week than he had before.

Back