The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his players

gaylord

Reaction score
It's foolish not to recognize the exceptional work Bill Belichick is doing in New England now year after year when it comes to strategy and preparation and also recognizing that he can get his team to buy into those same strategies and prep. At the same time with divisional rivals I always want to look for the wrinkles in the armor of the enemy, and since the football chinks for Belichick are so subtle it's intriguing watching his continued problems with his players on a personal level. When he was Parcell's underling the Tuna had the player relationships tied up and either Belichick just doesn't have the personality to apply the Parcells "charm" or it's an area where he's just a very, very poor student. Then again maybe he doesn't beleive it's very important! But year after year his teams have the types of personell squabbles that usually you find plaguing the perennial goats like Cleveland or Arizona- one year it's the handling of the popular Lawyer Milloy or another year the very public discontent of a Ty Law and today rumors of bad blood between Richard Seymour and the team are brewing, supposedly based upon their desire for him to play Sunday and his desire to protect his knee for the future.

The funny thing about all this is that it's hard to imagine the same things going on with other franchises at the seeming height of their success, at least to the extent that it happens with the better players on the Pat's roster versus some #4 RB or a disgruntled special teamer. I'm virtually certain Parcells wouldn't allow it, not the way he sets a social order among his players. It also might be fair to speculate that it's something that's likely to snowball if the wheels begin to fall off the success cart. It'll be interesting watching those wheels this Sunday.

gaylord said:
It's foolish not to recognize the exceptional work Bill Belichick is doing in New England now year after year when it comes to strategy and preparation and also recognizing that he can get his team to buy into those same strategies and prep. At the same time with divisional rivals I always want to look for the wrinkles in the armor of the enemy, and since the football chinks for Belichick are so subtle it's intriguing watching his continued problems with his players on a personal level. When he was Parcell's underling the Tuna had the player relationships tied up and either Belichick just doesn't have the personality to apply the Parcells "charm" or it's an area where he's just a very, very poor student. Then again maybe he doesn't beleive it's very important! But year after year his teams have the types of personell squabbles that usually you find plaguing the perennial goats like Cleveland or Arizona- one year it's the handling of the popular Lawyer Milloy or another year the very public discontent of a Ty Law and today rumors of bad blood between Richard Seymour and the team are brewing, supposedly based upon their desire for him to play Sunday and his desire to protect his knee for the future.

The funny thing about all this is that it's hard to imagine the same things going on with other franchises at the seeming height of their success, at least to the extent that it happens with the better players on the Pat's roster versus some #4 RB or a disgruntled special teamer. I'm virtually certain Parcells wouldn't allow it, not the way he sets a social order among his players. It also might be fair to speculate that it's something that's likely to snowball if the wheels begin to fall off the success cart. It'll be interesting watching those wheels this Sunday.

You obviously have no clue what you're about.

Milloy was cut for salary cap purposes and the Pats went on to win 15 in a row (including two against the Dolts) and win the Super Bowl. Law refused to help the Pats get salary cap relief, got injured and the Pats still are 14-2. I haven't heard a single rumor about Seymour not wanting to play. You're confusing him with the Jet's John Abraham. That would be completely out of character for Seymour.

Light took less money to stay. Bruschi did the same. Dillon agreed to a pay cut to play here. Anyone who's playing strictly for a contract is not welcome here. They're more than welcome in Indy however.

Before you throw crap against the wasll, you should probably do some homework.

Gaylord, you are probably posting interesting stuff but your text is too dense and wordy to read.

Try limiting yourself to short paragraphs, with lots of white space.

I don't mean to discourage your efforts. I really think you have potential.

Ok, I read your post, and what you say is actually interesting. Let's hope BB can keep this team together for another 3 games.

I think one of Belichick's strengths has been his lack of sentimentality with respect to his players. This has been a key to his success in the salary-cap era.

It is definitely in contrast to the Bill Parcells/Red Auerbach kind of thing, but it's hard to pretend your players are part of some kind of family if you might have to cut them when they get too expensive.

I think that's one of the reasons Troy Brown has been playing so much defense, to justify his salary.

Re: Re: The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his players

bideau said:
You obviously have no clue what you're about.

Milloy was cut for salary cap purposes and the Pats went on to win 15 in a row (including two against the Dolts) and win the Super Bowl. Law refused to help the Pats get salary cap relief, got injured and the Pats still are 14-2. I haven't heard a single rumor about Seymour not wanting to play. You're confusing him with the Jet's John Abraham. That would be completely out of character for Seymour.

Light took less money to stay. Bruschi did the same. Dillon agreed to a pay cut to play here. Anyone who's playing strictly for a contract is not welcome here. They're more than welcome in Indy however.

Before you throw crap against the wasll, you should probably do some homework.

If you can't recognize the Milloy situation might have been handled better you're just not a very good student of the game. But then again- you are a Patsy bandwagoneer- we weren't able to locate more than 849 Pats fans nationwide before 2001! But it is very telling that you support the Pat's inability to make peace with Law. You're a real seer.

I'm guessing your run ends on one of the next two Sundays. We may then begin to be able to assess whether the undercurrents some objective outsiders speculate are inherent in NE are actually there, or on the other hand if all glasses in NE are rose colored and Belichick can call on any bandwagoneer like yourself for a little fellatio. No doubt you can make part of that proposition work, we shall see about the balance.

Re: Re: Re: The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his players

gaylord said:
You run ends on one of the next two Sundays. We may then begin to be able to assess whether the undercurrents some objective outsiders speculate are inherent in NE are actually there, or on the other hand if all glasses in NE are rose colored and Belichick can call on any fan like yourself for a little fellatio. No doubt you can make part of that proposition work, we shall see about the balance.

Perhaps you can provide links to some of those "objective outsiders"?

thomas144 said:
I think one of Belichick's strengths has been his lack of sentimentality with respect to his players. This has been a key to his success in the salary-cap era.

It's an interesting conclusion to reach, and obviously in the short term it's not possible to refute it. It's over the long haul, and especially if the Pat's sustain and extrended period of balls bouncing the wrong way or if Adam Vinatieri explores his Unrestricted FA status this coming off-season and due to a "lack of sentimentality" your very best player leaves the team, where we will find out if Belichick is as sly as a fox even where he looks weak, or if he is indeed unable to manage human relationships as well as is necessary to attain "dynasty" status.

thomas144 said:
I think that's one of the reasons Troy Brown has been playing so much defense, to justify his salary.

I don't know what he's makin, but he certainly isn't a fantastic reciever. IMO a lot of the younger guys have passed him up bigtime at WR in NE.

Gaylord,

You have never specified what team you are a fan of. When you first posted, I assumed it was the Patriots, but your posting style has changed dramatically. Just curious if you are willing to divulge that.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his players

bideau said:
Perhaps you can provide links to some of those "objective outsiders"?

You should read the occasional column that doesn't originate in Boston. Or have someone teach you to use the Search feature on your browser. I'm not into training trolls.

Re: Re: Re: The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his players

gaylord said:
If you can't recognize the Milloy situation might have been handled better you're just not a very good student of the game.
Since thus far, it appears you don't have a clue what you're talking about, let me try to help you out. What got the Patriots into cap problems that year was that they got Ted Washington late in the pre-season. This was what created the problem. Belichick saw an opportunity to improve the team and he went for it. Milloy didn't want to take a pay cut (and I have no animosity with him over that), so the Patriot's exercised their right to cut him. Since the Patriots did win the superbowl last year, it appears the Belichick didn't handle things that badly for the Pats. Only Lawyer Milloy can say if his choice was the right one for him.
________
buy vaporizers

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his players

gaylord said:
You should read the occasional column that doesn't originate in Boston. Or have someone teach you to use the Search feature on your browser. I'm not into training trolls.

First of all, you're the troll here.

Second, don't come here spouting bull$hit and not expect to be challenged on it. If you can't produce resources to back up your premise, then shut the hell up.

Try going to this thread for an outsider's perspective.

So far your posting has been barely above the level of spam.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his players

dchester said:
Since thus far, it appears you don't have a clue what you're talking about, let me try to help you out. What got the Patriots into cap problems that year was that they got Ted Washington late in the pre-season. This was what created the problem. Belichick saw an opportunity to improve the team and he went for it. Milloy didn't want to take a pay cut (and I have no animosity with him over that), so the Patriot's exercised their right to cut him. Since the Patriots did win the superbowl last year, it appears the Belichick didn't handle things that badly for the Pats. Only Lawyer Milloy can say if his choice was the right one for him.

You're ignoring the handling of the Miloy situation, where it was "srung" on the team within literally hours of the opener that Milloy would be gone, and worse yet playing aginst his former team in the first game. I understand you're a homer and you try to justify the piss-poor handling of this by diverting attention to whether the DECISION to let him go was justified, but I haven't ever suggested the reasoning was not, I specifically pointed out each time I mention it that it's the HANDLING of the release that was botched.

Law is the same thing- coaches with better people skills might just have HANDLED their best corner in a better way- regardless of the decision of what to ultimately do with Law, which you foolishly are justifying simply because he's been injured, the reality in the NFL over the course of its history is that it's better to take action in front of personell problems than to let them become public distractions. You'll say they don't seem to be distracting the team right now- I say in the long run the long history of personell disctractions shows that it hurts teams far more often than not.

gaylord said:
today rumors of bad blood between Richard Seymour and the team are brewing, supposedly based upon their desire for him to play Sunday and his desire to protect his knee for the future.

What is this all about? I haven't seen or heard any rumors about Seymour's knee. Perhaps you can provide a link or source.

Re: Re: The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his players

StarKleck said:
What is this all about? I haven't seen or heard any rumors about Seymour's knee. Perhaps you can provide a link or source.

He made up the "rumors" part. I heard what he's talking about on Mike and Mike on ESPN radio. They were talking about Abraham and how he might sit out this critical game to protect himself from further injury by coming back too early. Abraham will be a free agent at the end of the season.

They then mentioned Seymour's injury and wondered if he would do the same thing with the Pats. There are no rumors. There was Golic and Greenberg talking about it on the air.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his players

gaylord said:
You're ignoring the handling of the Miloy situation, where it was "srung" on the team within literally hours of the opener that Milloy would be gone, and worse yet playing aginst his former team in the first game. I understand you're a homer and you try to justify the piss-poor handling of this by diverting attention to whether the DECISION to let him go was justified, but I haven't ever suggested the reasoning was not, I specifically pointed out each time I mention it that it's the HANDLING of the release that was botched.

Law is the same thing- coaches with better people skills might just have HANDLED their best corner in a better way- regardless of the decision of what to ultimately do with Law, which you foolishly are justifying simply because he's been injured, the reality in the NFL over the course of its history is that it's better to take action in front of personell problems than to let them become public distractions. You'll say they don't seem to be distracting the team right now- I say in the long run the long history of personell disctractions shows that it hurts teams far more often than not.

You speak of looking at "outsiders" perspective, but there is a second side to that, which is the local/insiders perspective. You hear only the National Presses review on the "Handling" of the Milloy issue. The main reason for the 11th hour release of this was that they were in the proverbial trenches trying to work something out till the last minute. As it came down to the wire, there was no agreement between the parties, and the decision was made (one of the toughest ever as BB put it) to release him. Nothing was botched, or anything else. They went to the wire to try and make it work, and couldn't. Hence you see a last minute decision.

As for Ty Law. I blame 99.9999999% of the crap that went down on his agent as he's represented by the Poston brothers who are notorious for less-than-desirable tactics to say the least. I would lay good money down that the Postons, even though it is illegal, had a super high dollar contract lined up for him with another team and Law was trying to find a way out of his current one.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The intriguing Belichick flaw, His own relationship with his play

gaylord said:
You're ignoring the handling of the Miloy situation, where it was "srung" on the team within literally hours of the opener that Milloy would be gone, and worse yet playing aginst his former team in the first game.
Yeah, I guess you're right. If Belichick had handled it better, maybe the Pats would have been undefeated last year instead of only being 14-2. After listening to your persuasive argument, I bet if Belichick had just said "pretty please" to Milloy and his agent, maybe he would have gone to the NFC instead of just taking the highest offer that happened to be from the Bills.
:blink:
________
roor bong

Back