The (new) Official PP Ski Thread

Last winter sucked! Skied a grand total of twice.

Here's hoping the Farmers Almanac gets it right.

I hear ya! we did our usual Feb (NH) vacation week at Sunday River and I have to give them props for doing as much as they could with the worst mix of weather I have ever seen.... little to no natural snow and anytime it was cold enough to make snow, it would get warm and rain.

Ski'd one other time... a day trip to Cannon that was actually pretty good as it had snowed a few inches overnight.

I have some friends who are avid snowmobiler's.... man they really got hosed last year.

I've never skied Magic Mountain myself, but they are getting new owners and upgrades

http://www.boston.com/sports/skiing...resort-gets-new-owners-poised-to-get-upgrades

Les Otten of Sunday River and Red Sox fame has been trying to get The Balsam's way up in Dixville Notch reopened as a swanky destination resort. Can't say I've been there before (it closed in 2011) but will be interesting to see how this ends up
http://www.boston.com/sports/skiing/2016/07/28/work-balsams-ski-area-expansion-begin-shortly

I've been up to a buds camp near The Balsams many times. The snowmobiling is excellent up there but it really is in the middle of no where. It's beautiful up there, but I would be very surprised if they brought in enough biz to see ROI.

I think part of the project is having/using an airport to fly people in?? they want to make it a "destination resort",which if you are in the middle of nowhere I guess you don't have much choice.

Let's see, we got Gronkowski, Goskowski and I'm sure we could pick up more -skis in free agency.

Oops, I misunderstood. :dith:

I've been up to a buds camp near The Balsams many times. The snowmobiling is excellent up there but it really is in the middle of no where. It's beautiful up there, but I would be very surprised if they brought in enough biz to see ROI.

If you take a wrong turn you'll end up with a French speaking boarder patrol agent conducting a cavity search.

until there's some actual ski/skiing to discuss I'll toss a few ski bunny pics in from time to time to keep this thread going.....

Killington started making snow during the last cold snap a they are hosting a World Cup Race in late November and are going to need to crank it up big time
http://www.killington.com/company/media/pressrelease.html?pressrelease=pressrelease48

Sunday River usually shots for a Halloween (if not sooner) opening. This year they have to use Aurora peak as Locke Mtn chair the typically use on Barker is still be repaired (top unload station is being redone in light of the Spruce Peak unload station falling over this past summer... see earlier posts). It will likely take a longer snow making window to get the TBD parts of Aurora open.

Killington will likely be first in the North East to open but here's hoping for a cold snowy winter (well, those of us that ski/board/snowmobile are thinking that way)

I wonder about The Balsams.

It's a really long way from anywhere.

It really is exactly that.

I've never been in winter, so can't comment on the skiing, but I think it's the best hotel I've ever been to in New England. Beautiful setting and first-class rooms and old-fashioned-yet-classy atmosphere, great food (don't hesitate to get the meal plan) and the golf course is top notch.

Buddy of mine did a lot of skiing and said that it's not the biggest mountain, but one of his favorites. No crowds and something about they get great snow more akin to the West than you typically find in New Hampshire.

I loved the place, but you get used to turning off in North Conway or on the other side of the Kancamagus when you go to NH, but it's hours north of there.

Hoping this is the year that O.Z.O. Jr. and I can pick it up.

It really is exactly that.

I've never been in winter, so can't comment on the skiing, but I think it's the best hotel I've ever been to in New England. Beautiful setting and first-class rooms and old-fashioned-yet-classy atmosphere, great food (don't hesitate to get the meal plan) and the golf course is top notch.

Buddy of mine did a lot of skiing and said that it's not the biggest mountain, but one of his favorites. No crowds and something about they get great snow more akin to the West than you typically find in New Hampshire.

I loved the place, but you get used to turning off in North Conway or on the other side of the Kancamagus when you go to NH, but it's hours north of there.

The Balsams really is middle-of-nowhere. They would need to make that a place you could fly into (aka Destination Resort) as it's hard to drive hours longer for a smaller mountain. Not sure how far it is from Canadian population centers for New England it's a haul

Back