The Official Single Malt Thread

Thanks for the info and the tip.

However, now that I know that the medicinal flavor is due to iodine, I might want to stick to the Laphroaig since ingesting iodine can help provide the body some resistance to radiation.

And, you never know.

I might pitch Laphroaig this commerical:

A Pub. The bar is lined with 20-something hipsters sipping expensive single-malts and driving up the prices with every sip. Every one of them has their smart phone clutched close to their hearts. In walks a solitary figure who orders a Laphroaig. The barkeep gives a knowing nod of approval and the man enjoys his drink. Suddenly, there is a bright flash of a mushroom cloud seen through a window and a low rumble like thunder and everybody at the bar besides the man and the barkeep falls dead to the floor.

The barkeep pulls out the bottle and an extra glass and says "This one's on the house".

The tagline appears:

Laphroaig.....it tastes great AND protects you from nuclear fallout.
'Salt' and 'seaweed' are some of the tasting notes Laphroig uses- once those terms are in your head, it really works.

To me, Laphroig is 'liquid Braveheart'. Blue and white painted berserkers with spears chilling after a limb severing afternoon with a tankard of scotch would be my ad.

Adding to the daily drink list: Abelour 12 year

It's really nice and sweet when it first touches, but finishes off with a good bit of pepper.
Again, not peaty so will not be to everyone's liking, but I enjoy it immensely and at a price that's not scary.

(also going to double down on the recommendation of the Nikka Coffey Single Malt. It's exquisite!)

Back