The Official Single Malt Thread

Picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 18 over the weekend. Amazing difference from the 12 year version.

Makes you wonder why they bother with the 12.

I also noticed this news story.

Had a similar experience with the Highland Park not too long ago. Picked up the 12 because it was reasonably priced. It came with a sample of the 18 as a promo. My God, the difference was astounding. Never a doubter after that.

If you guys need a real treat, get a bottle of the Nikka Coffey. It's a real treat with a smell that sends you into straight bliss. For me at least.

(Also concur with whomever said the Balvenie is a good whisky. Their doublewood is reasonably priced and a great glass).

If you guys need a real treat, get a bottle of the Nikka Coffey. It's a real treat with a smell that sends you into straight bliss. For me at least.

(Also concur with whomever said the Balvenie is a good whisky. Their doublewood is reasonably priced and a great glass).

Currently working (very sloooowwwwllly on a Glenfarclas 105 cask strength, smooth, potent.

Good.

My Lagavulin and Laphroig are never far behind.

Cheers

Peaty-ass Islays rule- Laphroaig and Lavulin are both great. Splash of H2O opens the up nicely.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Was given this as an early Father's Day gift on Friday. A 25-year-old Laphroaig from Douglas Laing as part of the Xtra Old Particular series. Distilled in November 1989 and aged in a refill hogshead, this offers enticing notes of buttery toast, spice and bags of medicinal character.

Was given this as an early Father's Day gift on Friday. A 25-year-old Laphroaig from Douglas Laing as part of the Xtra Old Particular series. Distilled in November 1989 and aged in a refill hogshead, this offers enticing notes of buttery toast, spice and bags of medicinal character.

My (Mom's) family is mostly in the Morrisville/Stowe/Waterbury corridor. Is that anywhere near your Laphroig? And how do I get there? :coffee:

Thanks for resurrecting this Anderson.

I've just got one thing to say.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wTTxDWZcbxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Has anyone noticed how much single malts have gone up in the past few years?

:banghead: :fire: blowup

According to the guy who owns the packie across the street from my house (which had nothing to do with why I live where I do :harumph: ), it's those meddling kids.

For some reason, the 20 somethings have discovered single malts and that has driven up demand and thus the price.

Why the frack can't they "discover" Zima or something else like that?

Why do they have to make it harder for me to keep a well stocked whiskey rack?

I bet they are all Patriots Haters and do this on purpose to prevent me from utilizing the Power of Whiskey® to help them win.

Thanks for resurrecting this Anderson.

I've just got one thing to say.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wTTxDWZcbxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Has anyone noticed how much single malts have gone up in the past few years?

:banghead: :fire: blowup

According to the guy who owns the packie across the street from my house (which had nothing to do with why I live where I do :harumph: ), it's those meddling kids.

For some reason, the 20 somethings have discovered single malts and that has driven up demand and thus the price.

Why the frack can't they "discover" Zima or something else like that?

Why do they have to make it harder for me to keep a well stocked whiskey rack?

I bet they are all Patriots Haters and do this on purpose to prevent me from utilizing the Power of Whiskey® to help them win.

They've discovered great Bourbon as well. Fine wine and whiskey have also, maybe even more so, been killed by the Chinese market.

But I'm counting on you to pour the good stuff at game time.

Cheers, BostonTim

I wonder the market value of counterfeit whisky and wine to the Chinese market-- the general counsel of a client of mine had a daughter working in the field of counterfeit prevention and she said there are lots of high price Bordeaux being served with Coke(tm) in it.
You could probably sell anything for any price if it was going to get diluted like that anyway.

I wonder the market value of counterfeit whisky and wine to the Chinese market-- the general counsel of a client of mine had a daughter working in the field of counterfeit prevention and she said there are lots of high price Bordeaux being served with Coke(tm) in it.
You could probably sell anything for any price if it was going to get diluted like that anyway.

It is the Bordeaux market that's been most killed by the Chinese effect. Bordeaux that I routinely bought as futures in the late eighties to late nineties for under $50 and as low as 13 or 14 dollars now routinely future for 300-400 or more per bottle. As I have mentioned before, the 1995 Lafite Rothschild that I bought for $44 a bottles as futures and later for $70 after hitting the market sell now for well over a thousand. I sold just three bottles through an an on-line broker to pay for the $2600 tickets to Florence 1n 2012. With Change for sandwhiches. 100% possible thanks to your status crazy chinese coke and claret kooks.

Thanks for resurrecting this Anderson. I've just got one thing to say. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wTTxDWZcbxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Has anyone noticed how much single malts have gone up in the past few years? :banghead: :fire: blowup According to the guy who owns the packie across the street from my house (which had nothing to do with why I live where I do :harumph: ), it's those meddling kids. For some reason, the 20 somethings have discovered single malts and that has driven up demand and thus the price. Why the frack can't they "discover" Zima or something else like that? Why do they have to make it harder for me to keep a well stocked whiskey rack? I bet they are all Patriots Haters and do this on purpose to prevent me from utilizing the Power of Whiskey® to help them win.
I'm pretty sure that MD is the single, obvious reason for the costs going up.

My (Mom's) family is mostly in the Morrisville/Stowe/Waterbury corridor. Is that anywhere near your Laphroig? And how do I get there? :coffee:

I am in Fort Wayne Indiana at the moment. But I will be headed to Randolph Vermont in July.
Nice camp fire, good cigars and the Laphroaig. We could get a few from the board up to spend a weekend.

I've had Laphroaig twice now and I was repulsed by the flavor. I actually considered spitting it out.

I see this as more my own lack of sophistication than any failing of that brand, because a lot of folks go nuts over it.

I'm aware that regional character is an important characteristic of single malts and Laphroaig is certainly distinctive. There is no doubt about that. The Islay peat just punches you in the face.

The medicinal character you mentioned is very apparent and my taste buds just didn't know what to make of it even though I enjoy a lot of single malts.

Perhaps if I had a 25-year old dose it would have been a much different experience. I'm going to open my mind and give it another shot.

As an aside, I enjoy the soft, buttery SMs such as a 15-year Dalwhinney.

Personal taste is an odd thing. I was in Annapolis a while back and decided to try a blue crab sandwich which was in season at the time-- something I'd never had. When it arrived in front of me I was horrified to see the entire crab, eyes, soft shell and all, sitting in front of me. I finally worked up the nerve to bite into it and it just squirted a strange flavor in my mouth. So to speak. After a few minutes of being grossed-out I realized that it really tasted great and I went nuts on it. Been dreaming about that blue crab sandwich ever since.

Maybe it's that kind of thing. :shrug_n:

I've had Laphroaig twice now and I was repulsed by the flavor. I actually considered spitting it out.

I see this as more my own lack of sophistication than any failing of that brand, because a lot of folks go nuts over it.

I'm aware that regional character is an important characteristic of single malts and Laphroaig is certainly distinctive. There is no doubt about that. The Islay peat just punches you in the face.

The medicinal character you mentioned is very apparent and my taste buds just didn't know what to make of it even though I enjoy a lot of single malts.

Perhaps if I had a 25-year old dose it would have been a much different experience. I'm going to open my mind and give it another shot.

Personal taste is an odd thing. I was in Annapolis a while back and decided to try a blue crab sandwich which was in season at the time-- something I'd never had. When it arrived in front of me I was horrified to see the entire crab, eyes, soft shell and all, sitting in front of me. I finally worked up the nerve to bite into it and it just squirted a strange flavor in my mouth. So to speak. After a few minutes of being grossed-out I realized that it really tasted great and I went nuts on it. Been dreaming about that blue crab sandwich ever since.

Food, Beverage, etc is personal. You can SOMETIMES acquire tastes and I think it's worth it to give food you don't take to, a second chance, so kudos on that. But in the end, you shouldn't beat yourself up or question yourself. And never try to like something because the others say you should. Obviously you know this full well, just expanding on the thought. My first peaty was the Laphroaig and I loved it from the get go, can't say WHY, just did and haven't looked back. It wasn't an acquired taste for me and I don't go around telling others that it's an acquired taste. I like most good single-malts but am drawn to the Islays.

I love these kinds of threads because you get to see whose likes are similar and different AND it introduces me to new (to me) things that I run right out and try. It also gives deep insight into other's passions and expertises that you don't get when we suck up to Brady or pound the piss out of Krafty. Food, gardening, music, photography, hobbies, old memories ( :wave: ) etc for me at least add immeasurably to the value of the planet [/rant].

La cheim, :toast: BostonTim

Well I do have a nice bottle of Monte Sabotino Selezione 24yr Gran Riserva Superiore Brandy in my cabinet if that is more to your taste. It would be a good excuse to open it.

That "medicinal" character you taste actually is iodine.

Their aging warehouse is right on the water and it isn't climate controlled.

laphroaig-evening-light.jpg

The ocean air works it's way through the wood during the years it sits there and that's what you're tasting.

Edit: I prefer the Lagavulin because it has the same Islay/peat flavor without the iodine overtones.

Also I've found that 16 years seems to be a threshold that makes a big big difference in the malt. Typically a 16+ year old malt has much more balance and flavor, IMHO.

I will say it is a huge thing for the 25-30 year old to sip top shelf booze while baked off their ass than to pound 18 gannsett's and wake with a hang over. the buzz they prefer is more mellow and they claim it opens them up to the sophistication of the booze.

I discuss this BS when I am in bars seeing a group of kids partying on top shelf. I only drink, no smoke, but I commend them for their choice because As a kid I would buy better beer over cheaper beer because I enjoyed the taste more. You also see kids watching the John Taffer Bar Rescue types of joints and trying the signature cocktails they create. Buzz binge drinking is slowing down with kids and they are going for quality over quantity.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

laphroaig-evening-light.jpg

The ocean air works it's way through the wood during the years it sits there and that's what you're tasting.

Edit: I prefer the Lagavulin because it has the same Islay/peat flavor without the iodine overtones.

Also I've found that 16 years seems to be a threshold that makes a big big difference in the malt. Typically a 16+ year old malt has much more balance and flavor, IMHO.
I remembered you mentioning this in the past, I will buy myself some Lagavulin to sip.

Thanks for the info and the tip.

However, now that I know that the medicinal flavor is due to iodine, I might want to stick to the Laphroaig since ingesting iodine can help provide the body some resistance to radiation.

And, you never know.

I might pitch Laphroaig this commerical:

A Pub. The bar is lined with 20-something hipsters sipping expensive single-malts and driving up the prices with every sip. Every one of them has their smart phone clutched close to their hearts. In walks a solitary figure who orders a Laphroaig. The barkeep gives a knowing nod of approval and the man enjoys his drink. Suddenly, there is a bright flash of a mushroom cloud seen through a window and a low rumble like thunder and everybody at the bar besides the man and the barkeep falls dead to the floor.

The barkeep pulls out the bottle and an extra glass and says "This one's on the house".

The tagline appears:

Laphroaig.....it tastes great AND protects you from nuclear fallout.

Thanks for the info and the tip.

However, now that I know that the medicinal flavor is due to iodine, I might want to stick to the Laphroaig since ingesting iodine can help provide the body some resistance to radiation.

And, you never know.

I might pitch Laphroaig this commerical:

A Pub. The bar is lined with 20-something hipsters sipping expensive single-malts and driving up the prices with every sip. Every one of them has their smart phone clutched close to their hearts. In walks a solitary figure who orders a Laphroaig. The barkeep gives a knowing nod of approval and the man enjoys his drink. Suddenly, there is a bright flash of a mushroom cloud seen through a window and a low rumble like thunder and everybody at the bar besides the man and the barkeep falls dead to the floor.

The barkeep pulls out the bottle and an extra glass and says "This one's on the house".

The tagline appears:

Laphroaig.....it tastes great AND protects you from nuclear fallout.

The "benefit" iodine provides is that your thyroid has a limit on how much iodine it will absorb.

The thyroid will naturally absorb iodine that you're exposed to, and certain isotopes of iodine (most notably iodine 131) are one of the most likely radioisotopes to be released to the environment in a nuclear accident at a power plant.

When I first started work back in the '80's, I did those accident calculations that predicted just how much iodine could be released for the nuclear plants that Combustion Engineering was building at the time.

So if you take iodine when there is such an accident, you can saturate your thyroid and so won't absorb any radioactive iodine.

The CDC has a web page on it here.

Back