Top QBs through Super Bowl 50: Tom Brady tops Joe Montana

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
Pretty good list from Dave Domensch on the top QBs through SB 50. He has Brady #1 obviously but I like how he has Elway at #3 where he belongs and Manninhgh at #7 outside of the top 5 which is also where I believe he belongs. Rodgers should not be at #4 right now though as he has not done enough but has plenty of years left to prove he belongs there. Marino should be outside the top 10 IMO.

Top QBs through Super Bowl 50: Tom Brady tops Joe Montana

So let's get to it: our top 10 QBs of the Super Bowl era as of ... today!

1) Tom Brady

It may take a backseat to Malcolm Butler's pick when you think about Super Bowl XLIX, but the top line of Brady's Hall of Fame résumé includes this fact: Down 10 in the fourth quarter against the Seattle Seahawks and the era's best defense, he rallied his Patriots and became the third guy ever with four rings. And if you're looking at the glass half-full, he's just a couple of fluky plays by the pesky Giants away from having six rings. Keep this in mind, too: Gronk, Moss and the Belichick mystique notwithstanding, Mr. Bündchen has carried a lot of mediocre teams deep into the playoffs.

2) Joe Montana

Four for four in the Super Bowl, zero for ever throwing INTs in the Super Bowl. If winning titles with those loaded Niners rosters was so easy ... someone should've let Steve Young in on the secret.

3) John Elway

Don't obsess over the numbers. Instead, focus on all the clutch moments late in playoff games: in the muck and mire of Cleveland Municipal Stadium in the 1986 AFC title game; scrambling away from those Oilers pass rushers in the 1991 Mile High Divisional Round game; rallying against the Steelers in '89 and '97. You can even forget the two rings he got at the end of his career (which had more to do with Terrell Davis and that Denver D), as Elway's three prior Super Bowl losses were more impressive. Why? Because those Broncos teams had no business getting that far, but Elway took 'em there anyway. Argue for whomever you want at No. 3, but this spot belongs to John.

4) Aaron Rodgers

As talented a QB as I've ever watched. Yep, better than his immediate predecessor in Green Bay and better than Peyton. If Rodgers can catch a couple of breaks (and/or his receivers don't fail to catch his passes like they did vs. the Giants in the '11 Divisional Round, and/or special teamers don't fail to catch onside kicks in conference title games) over the next half-decade, the sky -- or, at least, the No. 1 spot here -- is the limit. If you have any further questions, I refer you to his most recent playoff performance in Arizona, where, after about the first five minutes of the game, Rodgers was throwing to Jeff Janis, Jeff Janis and Jeff Janis ... and the Packers still almost won.

5) Brett Favre

Maybe the best combo of swaggering style and statistical substance the game's seen, Favre's outsized place in history was secure before the new millennium. But the actual wins in January vanished into the arms of defenders -- more on that later -- a little too often in the second half of his exhilarating career. Still, we can't forget his incredible 2009 campaign with the Vikings, in which he won over countless purple hearts and almost captured the NFC title -- at age 40.

6) Dan Marino

It oughta be clear that when we're ranking all-time QBs, the ring count matters to me (and it should matter to you, too). Yeah, metrics are important, but there's a reason they continue to wrap up each year with a postseason. Of course I don't think Eli Manning is better than Tom Brady just 'cause Manning beat Brady twice in the big game, but those wins do matter to both guys' legacies, whether curmudgeons and vapid cynics like it or not. Maybe it's not fair to Marino, who rarely -- if ever -- stepped on a field in January with more talented teammates than opponents. But facts are facts: One Super Bowl appearance just doesn't stack up.

7) Peyton Manning

Manning owns just about every meaningful passing record and, as of February 2016, he's got two rings. For all those pelts No. 18's got on the wall, though, he drops ever so slightly here because he had more to work with than any other QB (save for Montana) ranked above him -- and that wasn't by sheer luck. Former Colts general manager Bill Polian willfully built teams around Peyton. And it's a little overstated how bad his Indy defenses were: Four or five of those Ds in the 2000s ranked in the NFL's top half dozen or so. (I'm gonna stay committed to not looking up numbers here, but please feel free to confirm that.) So by definition, Manning needed to maintain his lofty regular-season standards in order for his teams to win in January. But he didn't, so they didn't.

Full article here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ough-super-bowl-50-tom-brady-tops-joe-montana

The only thing I disagree with here is Rodgers ranked so high. Ever since GB got that one Super Bowl, he's been setting up a playoff record to rival ManninHGH's. I totally disagree that he's better than Favre, he lacks the mobility that the old gunslinger had in his prime, and Favre's playoff record back in the day was more impressive than Rodgers (before 2000's)

I think Marino is a top 10 All Time QB, but much in the same regard ManninHGH is, his atrocious postseasons speak for themselves.

I'd swap teh Rapistburger and Bradshaw. Both of those players' teams had great defenses and very good receivers so to me that's a non-factor. Bradshaw had a cannon arm with 1 of the best long balls I've ever seen in an era where long balls were the norm. He could really sling it...with accuracy. I hated his team but he was a player I loved to watch him on Sundays back in the day.

Oh Bradshaw is DEFINITELY >>>> Roeth. THE BEN gets a lot of credit for being clutch, but his SB performances have been Peytonesque. Bradshaw was pretty great in SBs IIRC.

Oh Bradshaw is DEFINITELY >>>> Roeth. THE BEN gets a lot of credit for being clutch, but his SB performances have been Peytonesque. Bradshaw was pretty great in SBs IIRC.

Terry has two SB MVPs to Ben's zero on a Pitt team littered with HoF players. A no brainer IMO. Terry>Ben.

Clearly homers like those on this forum, me included, have believed it for years. The evidence is and has been clear. Now, the media is starting to give him his due. Joe Montana has been a favorite of the media and has been touted as the best by most in the media. Tom Brady has now displaced him in the medias mind. Obviously, Dave Dameshek doesn't speak for all the media, but he is voicing what many are starting to believe, Tom Brady is the best QB to ever play the game.

Clearly homers like those on this forum, me included, have believed it for years. The evidence is and has been clear. Now, the media is starting to give him his due. Joe Montana has been a favorite of the media and has been touted as the best by most in the media. Tom Brady has now displaced him in the medias mind. Obviously, Dave Dameshek doesn't speak for all the media, but he is voicing what many are starting to believe, Tom Brady is the best QB to ever play the game.

As someone said another thread awhile back, no QB is perfect but Brady is the closest. His achievements stand alone as the most accomplished player in the SB era.

This will be an even easier choice after he racks up one or two more titles in the next few years.

:coffee:

Its that player who does not play anymore disease. Some people refuse to believe that anyone can ever be better no matter what.

Its that player who does not play anymore disease. Some people refuse to believe that anyone can ever be better no matter what.

True enough. If he had said that prior to Tom Brady winning this 4th SB there would have been outrage from many quarters. Now, there is acceptance.

That is the final arbiter.

True enough. If he had said that prior to Tom Brady winning this 4th SB there would have been outrage from many quarters. Now, there is acceptance.

That is the final arbiter.

The 4th ring really did cement Brady because of how he won it. Two historic comebacks vs the Ravens and the LoB, throwing the ball 50 times in each game. He out Montana'ed Montana with leading not one but TWO TD drives to get his third SB MVP. He strapped the Pats to his back at age 37 and delivered the final blow. There really is no argument left.

The 4th ring really did cement Brady because of how he won it. Two historic comebacks vs the Ravens and the LoB, throwing the ball 50 times in each game. He out Montana'ed Montana with leading not one but TWO TD drives to get his third SB MVP. He strapped the Pats to his back at age 37 and delivered the final blow. There really is no argument left.

agree

I have never put much thought into what fans of other teams think about Brady or any other Patriot player /coach.
In the end Brady /Belichick and the New England Patriots will go down as the greatest player/coach/ franchise in NFL history.

Back