tough situation for the Brady's

Tom's grandmother passed away Wednesday afternoon.

This is from Michael Felger in Thursday's Boston Herald:

Family matters: Brady mourns grandmother
By Michael Felger
Thursday, February 3, 2005

JACKSONVILLE - This has not been a great week for Tom Brady, and it goes way beyond the usual hassles and distractions of the Super Bowl. It strikes at the core of what Brady holds most dear: His family.

The result, according to those who've been around him, has been a subdued demeanor by the Patriots quarterback, both in front of the cameras and behind the scenes, and a complete immersion into the game plan for Super Bowl XXXIX.

Late yesterday afternoon, Brady's paternal grandmother died after a long illness. In the days prior to her death, Brady's immediate family had traveled to the San Francisco area to be with his father, Tom Sr., and Brady didn't know if any of them would be able to make it to Jacksonville for the game.

``It's been tough,'' said Brady, prior to learning of his grandmother's death. ``You know, my head has been here, but heart has definitely been with them.

``I just wish I was there for my dad,'' he added. ``I mean, it's his mom. It's tough to talk to him on the phone and hear his voice crack. But I've got things here I've got to take care of.''

The plan is now for the entire Brady clan to be on hand for Sunday's game against the Eagles. The funeral for Brady's grandmother will be a week from Monday.

The elder Brady, reached last night in California, asked that the details be kept private and that the story not be made a ``big deal of - because we don't want this to be a distraction to anyone.''

Brady's worries have gone beyond his grandmother. He said his uncle, Tom Sr.'s brother, has been battling cancer.

``It's been a perfect storm,'' said Tom Sr.

Brady has long said his father is his best friend. The elder Brady has traveled to most Patriots games since 2001, and after the Pats' first championship Brady gave him his Super Bowl ring. When Tom Sr. can't make it to games, the quarterback's first postgame phone call always goes to him.

Brady is also very close to his three sisters, who are expected to rejoin Brady today when the Patriots' ``friends and family'' charter arrives in Florida.

Meanwhile, Brady has kept a low profile, spending most of his time outside of practices, meetings and interviews either in his hotel room or watching film on the Eagles.

``Maybe a lot of that has to do with his family,'' said teammate and good friend Lonie Paxton. ``And maybe he just wants to win. If, knock on wood, something bad happens in this game, he doesn't want anyone to think he was distracted or that his family situation took anything away from his preparation. . . . He understands that our success depends so much on him. And he takes that responsibility very seriously.''

While his grandmother's death has no doubt tempered Brady's demeanor, the fact is he's not a very flashy interview subject to begin with. That reality seemed to frustrate some of the national media on hand this week.

On Tuesday, for example, NFL Network correspondent, and Tampa Bay linebacker, Simeon Rice positioned himself next to Brady's podium and offered his commentary on the QB's quotes.

``No personality,'' said Rice into the camera. ``My god, no wonder the (Pats) win. God, so boring. As boring as that cat is, I couldn't `kick it' with him.''

Brady apparently saw that report while watching television in his hotel room, because at the end of his press conference yesterday he offered a quick smirk and said, ``Thanks for coming, I know I can be kinda boring.''

Brady will be going for his third championship on Sunday.

``He's been focused,'' said quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels. ``It's where it needs to be. He's very keyed into his preparation. He doesn't want anything to happen in this game that he's not prepared to handle. All our guys are single-minded, and he's the epitome of that.''

Not to think so blindly into the subject...But I think this only proves more into my gut feeling that Brady is gonna put on a fire works show come sunday. With that said, I still luckily have my grandmother sticking around and will be crushed when she's gone. Sad to hear indeed:(

Very sad indeed!

I am glad his family will be there. That will help!

It is a sad time for Brady and I hope his family shows up so that he can be a little bit happy but he does have to think that his grandmother is in a better place and doesn't have to suffer any more.:(

I can't help but think back to the day Brett Favre's father died and the game he had against the Raiders the next night. Granted, the Eagles aren't the Raiders, but you have to think Tom is going to have the same fire in his stomach that Brett did that night. A fireworks show indeed...

JPK

``When you lose people who are close in your life, you deal with it the best you can,'' Brady said during a Super Bowl news conference. ``Hopefully, I can live to be a 94-year-old person and live a full life like she did.

``I'm sure she'll be looking down on us Sunday. That's one more person up there who will be cheering for us.''

Brady said he didn't think his grandmother's death would be a distraction heading into Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

``I know what's going on back there. I've got people there,'' Brady said. ``I'm letting them deal with it back in San Francisco.''

Tom Terrific is going to score a 4th-quarter td, become exuberant, jump into everyone's arms, then go to the sidelines, get some high-fives, and then put his head down into his hands and cry like a baby......

LET'S GO PATRIOTS LET'S GO PATRIOTS

Yeah, I think Tommy's gonna put on a show on Sunday. Jesus, he's gonna play out of his head.

I am shocked!

Shocked that I didn't see this anywhere today.

Grandmother of Patriots QB Tom Brady dies

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer
February 3, 2005
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) --
Tom Brady's grandmother always threw quite a party -- especially when her boy was playing in the Super Bowl.

It won't be the same Sunday.

Margaret Brady died Wednesday night in the San Francisco area at age 94, four days before her grandson plays in another championship game for the New England Patriots.

``She always watched the games. She had Super Bowl parties the last three years at her nursing home,'' the two-time Super Bowl MVP said. ``She was really the talk of the nursing home in those days. She would sit right in front of the TV and we would get phone calls from her after the games.''

Brady's grandmother had a stroke earlier in the week, Patriots spokesman Stacey James said Thursday.

``I'm sure she'll be looking down on us Sunday,'' the quarterback said. ``That's one more person up there who will be cheering for us.''

Brady patiently answered questions about his grandmother's death during the players' final media availability.

``She had been very ill for quite some time. It was a situation where in the last week or so, things took a turn for the worse,'' he said. ``Hopefully, I can live to be 94 and have a full life like she did.''

While clearly a bit distracted, Brady said he didn't believe his grandmother's death would hinder preparations for the Philadelphia Eagles. His father urged him to focus on the game and let the family handle all the necessary arrangements.

``The focus for me this week has been a little bit different,'' Brady acknowledged, ``but I'm sure when game time comes around, my focus will all be on the Eagles.''

Brady's teammates sympathized with his loss.

``It's tough when you lose a loved one, period,'' running back Corey Dillon said. ``I feel for him.''

Brady was very close to his grandmother. He grew up about a mile away from her home, and the family spent every Christmas and Thanksgiving together.

``She had a swimming pool, so we would go over there and use the pool,'' Brady recalled. ``She was a great woman.''

Losing such a revered family member added some perspective to the biggest game of the year.

``We're so driven here, we're so focused ... we get so wrapped up in this part of our life that other things escape us,'' Brady said.

It was mentioned in this thread... But to repeat myself from today, just another gut feeling that I think Brady is going to have an absolute fire works show..With that said..That really sucks about his grandmother and I wish him and his family the best!

Meh it's fine...The thread never had enough replies...Oh well everyone knows about it now, so I am sure we will get replies in this one.

Supkem said:
Sorry to double post it then, I don't know how I missed it?

sorry:(

That may be a bannable offense. I'll take it up with the other mods.

bideau said:
That may be a bannable offense. I'll take it up with the other mods.

I agree! We cannot have this crap on our boards! That's a waste of smilies too! BANDWITH PEOPLE! BANDWITH!

This is from Michael Felger in Friday's Boston Herald:

Dark days for Brady: QB sheds light on death, game
By Michael Felger
Friday, February 4, 2005

JACKSONVILLE - All week, something didn't seem right with Tom Brady. There was something in his eyes, something in the way he carried himself.

The reason for that demeanor became clear Wednesday afternoon, when Brady's 94-year-old paternal grandmother, Margaret Brady, died.

But Brady's low-key, purposeful manner was not only a reaction to his grandmother's condition. After all, as Brady said yesterday, she lived a full life.

Brady's real concern was directed toward his best friend, his father, Tom Sr. Much of his sorrow was over not being with the rest of his family, including his mother and three sisters, as they sat vigil near his San Mateo, Calif., home. The troubled look on his face was mostly related to the uncertainty over whether his family would be able to make it to Florida in time for Sunday's Super Bowl XXXIX against the Philadelphia Eagles.

While the Brady family is still grieving, it will at least be together this weekend. And that, in turn, should help Brady put all his focus on what he came here to do:

Win another championship.

``It's been a long road, for sure, for my family,'' Brady said. ``It's going to be nice to go out and play - and now I have an even better reason to play this game.''

Brady admitted that the situation was impossible to put out of his head as he immersed himself in preparations for the Eagles.

``The focus for me this week has been a little bit different,'' he said. ``But I'm sure when gametime comes around my focus will all be on the Eagles.''

Said Tom Brady Sr.: ``It's been tough on him. You can tell. It weighs on him.''

According to those who've been around the Patriots all week, Brady has responded by barely peeking his head out of the team hotel other than to fulfill practice, meeting and interview requirements. Several of his teammates have marveled at the huge hours Brady has logged in the film room.

``It's part of the commitment that I have to this team,'' the quarterback said. ``A lot of people deal with issues in their life and you just have to put it in one part of your mind, then when you have to go play football, you go play football.

``You can't really let it distract you a whole lot and let it take you away from the preparation. But when you're not dealing with football you can go deal with other parts of your life.''

Brady said he was ``really, really close'' to his grandmother, who lived less than a mile from the home where he grew up in San Mateo. Margaret Brady was a staple at Christmas and Thanksgiving, and since she had a swimming pool, Brady often found himself hanging out in her backyard.

Brady's father attends most of his games, but because of her advanced age, Margaret didn't do much traveling. Instead, she was known to host Super Bowl parties at the nursing home where she lived.

``She was really the talk of the nursing home in those days,'' Brady said. ``She would sit right in front of the TV and we would always get phone calls from her after the games.

``I'm sure she'll be looking down on us Sunday. That's one more person up there who will be cheering for us.''

Here's another article from Karen Guregian in Friday's Boston Herald:

A grandson grieves with his usual grace
By Karen Guregian
Friday, February 4, 2005

JACKSONVILLE - There are aspects of fame and celebrity Tom Brady admits he's uncomfortable with, and would rather not have to deal with, in his life. Yesterday was one of those times he probably wished he was Tom Nobody.

It's one thing to have to grieve in private with your family over the loss of a loved one. It's another when there's a horde of bright lights and cameras in your face, along with tape recorders and microphones sitting right below catching your every word and emotion, so millions of people around the country can later read and tune in to watch how you're handling that loss three days before the biggest game your sport has to offer.

On Wednesday, Margaret Brady, the Patriots quarterback's 94-year-old grandmother, a woman who lived about a mile away from her grandson as he was growing up, died. Understandably, this is a difficult and trying time for the Brady family.

Not surprisingly Brady, who knows and accepts the fact the invasion comes with the territory of being the best quarterback on the planet, carried on like he always does, with great strength, character and aplomb.

``There are some things in your life you'd prefer to keep between you and your family, or your friends, but word spreads fast,'' Brady said yesterday. ``So you try to deal with it as best I can, the best I know how.''

Naturally, people in New England and beyond will wonder how playing with a heavy heart will impact him Sunday during the Super Bowl. Knowing Brady, he will rise to the occasion the same way he did in handling the media yesterday, the same way he always does when the going gets tough.

Brady says he has played in games before with emotional issues weighing on his mind, and performed well. He's also played feeling less than 100 percent physically - the AFC Championship Game in Pittsburgh immediately comes to mind, when he was on IV fluids the night before and running a 103-degree fever - and played like a champ.

``A lot of guys deal with different things in their life off the field that influence what happens on the field,'' Brady said. ``Hopefully it doesn't affect you too much. Hopefully you can put it out of your mind and play ball. When I'm on the field, there's not too much I think about other than playing ball.''

The field is his sanctuary, although there's the matter of those millions of eyes watching him, trained on his every move, now with an added plotline. Naturally, the issue of Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre playing in a game soon after the death of his father, and performing admirably well, was brought up during Brady's 35-minute session with the media.

Brady, however, wouldn't compare the two situations. Sure, he was very close to his grandmother, and loved her very deeply, but he considers losing a parent in a different category. If anything, Brady is feeling more pain for his father, because of what he's experiencing.

Whatever way members of the media tried to spin it, Brady had it all under control. He did look a little haggard, with a few days growth of beard, but at some points during his alotted press time, he did smile, laugh and provide humorous responses to questions not dealing with his family situation. And when the tough ones came up, he was always equal to the challenge.

``You lose people who are close in your life and you try to deal with it as best you can,'' Brady said. ``I have family at home (who are) dealing with it. I'm quite a ways a way. They know where I'd like to be. I know where I'd like to be. But it happens in life.

``Hopefully I can live to be a 94-year-old person who lived as full a life as she did.''

brady and family

I am soo sorry for your loss. Its a sad time I just want you to Know your in my thoughts and prays. All of the nation is thinking of you.Your grandmother was an angel and she will be with you always.Just like my grandmother is with me always. once again im soooo sorry for your loss. remember the angels are always watching us and there always in our hearts forever..o:)

Re: brady and family

I am soo sorry for your loss. Its a sad time I just want you to Know your in my thoughts and prays. All of the nation is thinking of you.Your grandmother was an angel and she will be with you always.Just like my grandmother is with me always. once again im soooo sorry for your loss. remember the angels are always watching us and there always in our hearts forever..o:)
[/B][/QUOTE] When you sleep, I'm always here. Dont be afraid I am near Watching over you with lots of love Your guardian from up above!

Back